986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Really dumb Q from a newbie (1st of many) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12688-really-dumb-q-newbie-1st-many.html)

NJkayaker 08-15-2007 06:05 AM

Really dumb Q from a newbie (1st of many)

Just got a '99 w/60K on it. very psyched about my new toy! Have a question that my wife brought up. Not really a big deal but... While you are driving how do you know that the spoiler is deployed? I was explaining to her how it works and she said,"how do you know it went up when it's supposed to?" Couldn't answer that. You can't see it in the rear view or side mirrors. Barring standing up in my seat and twisting around (which would neccesitate a whole new driving technique) how can you tell?

I am sure I'll get a hard time for the question but, as I said, it'll be the first of many I am sure.

Sboxin 08-15-2007 06:35 AM

My son drove beside me on the road and took photos :D

There are no indicater lights to tell you it is up.

You can test by using the switch under the fuse panel...

...next question...

Enjoy the Boxster!!

Ed :cheers:

zackwatt 08-15-2007 06:40 AM

Hello and Welcome

There is a switch you can I saw online that you can buy. It will tell you this. It takes the place of one of the empty switches on the left of your radio. It is also used to raise and lower the spoiler. It gives an indicator light when spoiler is up. All you have to do is wire it into the fuse panel. Maybe someone around here can tell you where to find it.

porschedude 08-15-2007 06:42 AM

Get the passenger to turn around and look but can't do from driver's seat. I think spoiler goes up above 75 mph and then comes down below 50 mph. Enjoy your car!

racer_d 08-15-2007 07:23 AM

On my 2000, and I assume earlier ones, there is a warning light on the dash. Looks like a little rear spoiler. The light comes on when you start the car. Once you move the car forward, the light should go off. If it stays on, then there is a problem with the rear spoiler. As someone mentioned, it doesn't even rise automatically till about 75mph so, short of someone driving next to you or "standing" up and looking back, it would be hard to see.

I suppose if you were really in tune with the car, above 75mph with the rear spoiler "down" you would notice less stabiilty with the rear of the car.

NickCats 08-15-2007 12:29 PM

Don't feel bad. The first day I owned my car I went to visit a buddy to show it off. When I started the car one of the indicator lights stayed lit on the dash and my buddy asked “what is that ?”. I got out and checked the front and rear trunk to make sure they were both closed. We took off and the light went off and I thought, “that’s pretty strange”. Stopped for some food, started the car, same thing...

The whole way home I was so mad that I bought a car with some type of problem. Got home, opened the owner’s manual, figured out it was the spoiler indicator, and felt like a total idiot !

Moral of the story – read the owners manual :D

Nick

MNBoxster 08-15-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackwatt
Hello and Welcome

There is a switch you can I saw online that you can buy. It will tell you this. It takes the place of one of the empty switches on the left of your radio. It is also used to raise and lower the spoiler. It gives an indicator light when spoiler is up. All you have to do is wire it into the fuse panel. Maybe someone around here can tell you where to find it.

Hi,

Those switches are just for moving the Manual Switch to the Dash - they do not indicate whether the Spoiler is Up or not.

There was someone who did a D.I.Y. hack by installing a Refrigerator Door type switch to the actual Spoiler itself and wiring this to a Dash Indicator Light, but it was very involved - much too much work just to get a confirmation light - the lack of a light above 75MPH is your indicator - No Light = Good Thing, Light = Bad Thing - SLOW DOWN!... ;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

trogdor 08-15-2007 12:55 PM

I think he was referring to the hacks page somewhere on the net. I just recently ran across it as well. It used a switch to replace one of the blanks where the switch would toggle through the OBC displays if you didn't have the factory option and the LED was set to light when the spoiler was up... Pretty cool hack but it was fairly involved.

Ahh, here's what I remember

OBC hack
------------

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

spoiler/OBC hack
-------------

http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996images5/FWLswmod2.html

zackwatt 08-15-2007 02:27 PM

Oops, I feel stupid now......

Sammy 08-15-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJkayaker
Just got a '99 w/60K on it. very psyched about my new toy! Have a question that my wife brought up. Not really a big deal but... While you are driving how do you know that the spoiler is deployed? I was explaining to her how it works and she said,"how do you know it went up when it's supposed to?" Couldn't answer that. You can't see it in the rear view or side mirrors. Barring standing up in my seat and twisting around (which would neccesitate a whole new driving technique) how can you tell?

I am sure I'll get a hard time for the question but, as I said, it'll be the first of many I am sure.

Nope... not a dumb question... sorry I can't help, but definitely not a dumb question. I was kind of expecting a "how do I use the steering wheel?" or "do I really need to use the clutch?" ;)

Welcome aboard! All dumb questions will be entertained (I know I've had my fair share). :D

FrayAdjacent 08-15-2007 04:10 PM

How do you know if the spoiler is deployed?

- YOU DON'T.

One of those weird things. I think I've seen someone rig up a switch with an LED in it that lights up when it's deployed.