Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #1

need advice for purcahse of boxster with defect

i came across an interesting add for a 2000 s boxster for 15k$ (canadian) with 33,000k (not miles). its advertised as firm but im sure there is wiggle room considering the following:

the catch is that in the add it lists the engine as defective but still running. but the rest of the car is in showroom condition.

ive read that the boxster engine cannot be fixed in most cases and must be replaced, which would run me roughly 5-6k (canadian) for the engine and labour.

it seems like all i would have to do is pick up the car drop it off at a dealership and tell them to fix it/replace it. then keep it or resell it for profit.

it looks like its worth it. most privatedaler sales of boxsters 2001 S with around 33,000k(not miles) go from 22-30k(canadian$)

i might even consider keeping this one after replacing the engine and selling my current 01 boxster... which is not a S.

so, does this sound like a good idea, bad idea? what should i be weary of etc..

loftedbooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #2

You need to find out what is wrong with it, and how much it will cost to fix.

If the engine is toast, it could cost $5000 - 10,000 to replace it. Could you make a profit if you ended up spending $25,000 on it?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #3

im presuming that defective engine means it needs to be replaced fully. but really, as high as 10,000$?
loftedbooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

Hi,

There are too many healthy (a relative term to be sure) Boxsters out there to consider one which is unhealthy, no matter the cost, give this one a Pass!

The most expensive Porsche to own usually turns out to be that one which was cheapest to buy!

Keep looking!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
JIm,
he doesn't really need to keep looking, since he already has one hehe.

but it seems like a nice project, maybe just buy it, sell yours, and drop some mean engine in it
hehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #6

In the US, a new engine will go $11k or so

Figure that out with your dollar/loonie and figure if you can make a profit.

This sort of deal works if you can do the labor yourself as paying dealer rates makes the deal financially a loser. Or if you plan to change the engine to a larger one.

When you go to sell it, you'll be competing with the mechanic who bought a used engine and will put the engine in in his spare time. He can make the deal work that way.

If it was a simple fix, the current owner would have done that. But the current owner got scared by the price the dealer quoted him for replacement and is trying to unload it.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #7

If you want to save money pick one up from the states are dollar is almost at par now... I bought one their even before our dollar was this strong saved about $5000 even with the 7% tax and 7% duty. Boxsters are much cheaper in the US from what I saw at least. All you have to do is the DRL mod (5mins tops) and the speedo digital (30seconds) and your good to go!

good luck!
cosmetic-
gt2 bumper w/evo lip, TA side skirts, factory yellow painted interior, 18" turbo twists wrapped in AVS sports, 6 pack mp3

Last edited by jordan986; 08-14-2007 at 05:38 PM.
jordan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftedbooch
im presuming that defective engine means it needs to be replaced fully. but really, as high as 10,000$?

'Defective but still running'

That would lead me to think that it's not a slipped sleeve (which would prevent the engine from running), or a failed IMS (which would prevent the engine from running)... heck, it could be a simple valve cover gasket leak, or an RMS leak.

Can you get more detail on what is wrong?

I've heard of stupid people selling things at HUGE losses (good prices for you and I) because they have a relatively minor issue, but the stupid person doesn't want to figure out what it is.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #9

Currently, a Canadian dollar is worth about $.94 - effectively a 1-1 ratio for discussions simplicity.

So.

Boxster S for $15K, but may need entire replacement motor...

Well. A new "crate" motor has to be close to $10K (including install)

A used 3.2l? not sure.. find a wreck and maybe pay $2-4K + install?

A used 3.4l from a 996? used maybe also $3-6K + install

So, at minimum you could get it and get it running again for about $20K overall

But, what is the true used market price for a non "crate" engined car (ie one from a wreck) vs a true "porsche certified replacement motor" car? I imagine a dealer, with a certified replacement, could still get $22K. not sure an "independent" could get as much.. maybe $20k.

So, imho, you won't make money on this deal. However, if you sell your non s and replace it with a project that appeals to you, then maybe it makes sense.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #10

Wink

996 3.4 ftw. Otherwise I would think this would not be worth it.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #11

Maybe you could bargain him down from 15k? An S that's great every other way seems mighty tempting for an engine upgrade. Don't expect to make money on the deal tho, expect to get a good price on mega-Boxster! Live the dream baby!

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote