986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   oil filter locally? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12617-oil-filter-locally.html)

djomlas 08-11-2007 10:20 AM

oil filter locally?

can i get one locally somewhere and not get one from the dealer?
also, what oil for all year driving in Chicago?

Tool Pants 08-11-2007 10:41 AM

The TP filter - named after me.

larez2 08-11-2007 11:22 AM

Sometimes Autozone has them - they can get the oil filters special order too. I order mine online, ********************************************************************************************.

As for weight, here is a guid:

"5W-30 For areas where continuous ambient temperatures get below 32°F/0°C for significant periods of time.
10W-30 For areas where continuous ambient temperatures get below 50°F/10°C for significant periods of time but remain above 32°F/10°C most of the time.
15W-50 For areas where continuous ambient temperatures stay above 50°F/10°C most of the time."

According to the owners manual you are supposed to change the oil every 15,000 miles and the oil filter every other oil change (every 30,000) miles.

Funny thing about the toilet paper, I've heard of some guys that actually do that and it works for them (but i don't know anyone that does that on their Porsche!)

HTH,
Larez2

blinkwatt 08-11-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larez2
Funny thing about the toilet paper, I've heard of some guys that actually do that and it works for them (but i don't know anyone that does that on their Porsche!)

HTH,
Larez2

Wouldn't the teepee start to deteriorate and cause a mess?

larez2 08-11-2007 02:13 PM

I found this picture of a used toilet paper filter on powerstrokedatabase.com

http://www.powerstrokedatabase.com/i...s/frantz04.jpg

The guy said that's what it looked like after 2500 miles (Scott brand TP). Although it was used in a bypass oil filtration system not a stock full flow.

Crazy!

trube78 08-11-2007 09:28 PM

Try Ebay

1. Ebay frequently has lots of 2, 3, 4, or 5 filters for 5 to 10 bucks a piece. Most include the o-ring and drain plug seal. You may have to wait till you find the right price (don't forget shipping charges) but they are there. I got 6 for $36 last year.
2. Some of the board sponsors will have them for about $11 with o-ring and plug seal.
3. A few of the parts retail stores can get them usually special order ... beware that some do not have the o-ring and plug seal. Plug seals are usually easily available; o-rings maybe not.
4. Porsche recommended fill is Mobile One 0W40. Other oils are on the approved list but the only approved weights are 0W40 and 5W40. These weights are typically referred to as non-seasonal. Although I think the tech Bulletin says above -12F either weight can be used but below -12F use 0W40.
5. I am sure other folks will say other oils and weights are ok. Porshe has specified only hydrocracked or synthetic oils and two weights so ...
6. I am guessing most folks on here do not follow the 15K or 1 year oil change interval, unless they are in the 5K per year range. Then it is a yearly change.
7. Finally mixing different oils for top up can be a problem. If you use mobile one buy a quart extra to top off if required. Some manufacturers additive packages do not mix well and mixing a hydrocracked with a synth is a potential problem. For this reason (and a few more), I am a fan of changing the oil filter every oil change. Besides you are already right there under the car.
Hope this helps.
ATB,
Tom

Perfectlap 08-12-2007 07:59 AM

First time I bought one I made the mistake of buying it at the dealer...$30.
anyone else who is interested in buying on the web http://986forum.com/forums/PAP-Parts.com has the Mahle which at on point were the OEM brand. Don't know if that's still the case.

I drive under 10K miles a year so I was thinking about changing the filter every 6 months and the oil once a year. Is it a bad idea to drain the engine, change the filter and then reuse the oil? Seems like overkill to change synth oil every six months (and expensive!). But changing a $10 filter frequently seems like a good practice.

FrayAdjacent 08-12-2007 08:23 AM

Lap, the only problem with draining the oil and using it again is contamination. I'm not sure about yours, but my drain bucket gets all kinds of crap in it... dust, animal hairs, leaves, bugs...

However, when you change just the filter, you're only losing about 1 cup of oil or so. If you want to change just the filter, then don't drain the engine oil. Change the filter, lose a small amount of oil, and top it off as needed.

Tool Pants 08-12-2007 09:09 AM

Porsche used Mahle, but recently switched to Hengst.

Mann and Wix also makes filters. You can see pictures of all 4 here.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9454&st=0

Fram also has a filter, CH8278. I have not seen it in person, just a picture of it on ebay.

Due to the design of the engine, you can change the filter without first draining the oil from the sump.

FrayAdjacent 08-12-2007 09:20 AM

FRAM doesn't have a very good reputation for their oil filters, if you read around on car forums.. Wix does.

I'd use either OEM brand, or a Wix filter.

Tool Pants 08-12-2007 10:10 AM

This is true. On the oil/filter message board they call it the orange wall of death - when all the Fram filters are stacked on a store shelf. It has to do with the cheap way they are made - for your usual metal spin-on filter.

But the Fram CH8278 is the cartridge style. I would not expect to see the bad features of the typical Fram spin-on on the Fram cartridge style. But then, I have never see this filter in person. Think I will buy one just to see what it is like. I searched on the oil/filter message board and there is nothing about his filter.

Wix has a good reputation. I was impressed with the Wix filter when I did my "review." The Wix went into my car.

blinkwatt 08-12-2007 11:51 AM

What is there to cautious of when using the spin type Fram oil filters?