Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #1

Most efficient mod for $$$$$$

What is the most efficient mod for the money. What's the best bang for buck? Give me a way to get more from my 987 (Performance wise) for the money. Thanks for all you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bwbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
boggtown

Take out all your carpet, insulation, and passenger seat. Or nitrous. Free vs. $1000
Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
blkboxster

Sell the 987 and get a 997turbo
Old 08-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Pat

Definitely weight loss. Like he said, it's free, and improves accelleration, braking and cornering, not to mention gas milage and tire wear.
Of course, you could also put in some Pagid Sport Blue brake pads. That'll give you better braking for little money, assuming you have good tires.
Or, if you're nearing the end of your tire life, you could just get better tires than what you normally would. That can make a huge difference.
If you're looking for more power.....well, there's not a whole lot you can do that'll make a big difference in power without spending a bunch.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #5

I say improve the car by improving the driver by learning how to drive better .It's the best mod and can be applied to ALL the cars you will ever drive in your life.

Sure it sounds flippant but think about it. What's the one mod that you can move from car to car, lease to lease, rental or friends car, season to season, climate to climate, youth to old age?

What do you mean "perform better"? What exactly do you want to do? Make it handle better? Make it accelerate faster? Make it brake better? All of these can be done by improving the driver. Improving your driving skills will help you do alll of these. Any Boxster is a great car to own and drive
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Take your car out for a spirited drive and learn it's limits. No I don't mean bouncing it off the rev-limiter. Take it out,push it in turns,get a feel for when the brakes are at their length and the tires are about to break loose. I did this and I feel more comfortable when I fly around turns and such. DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU KNOW THE ROAD AND IT'S EXTREMELY LATE OR EARLY WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS OUT. DRIVE THROUGH THE ROADS ONCE TO ENSURE THAT THERE ISN'T ROAD DEBRIS. IT'S FREE AND YOU LEARN A LOT ABOUT YOUR CAR IN DOING SO.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
I'll stick to your original question and say the best performance mod you could purchase for your car for least amount of $$$, B&M short shift kit. best low$$ investment on my 986. Makes the car a bit more enjoyable to drive, and your shifting downtime will be a snick quicker. After that I would say the guys suggesting driving lessons are the correct. As for the wieght issue, For me I would leave the cars weight alone and try to lose 20-30lbs myself!

Steve
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986rgt
I'll stick to your original question and say the best performance mod you could purchase for your car for least amount of $$$, B&M short shift kit. best low$$ investment on my 986. Makes the car a bit more enjoyable to drive, and your shifting downtime will be a snick quicker. After that I would say the guys suggesting driving lessons are the correct. As for the wieght issue, For me I would leave the cars weight alone and try to lose 20-30lbs myself!

Steve
+1
i agree with this, don't wait any longer, this is cheap and best bang for the buck, it really transforms the car.
stock shifter is a joke if you ask me, the throw is wayyy too long and it feels weird.
B&M or knockoff, same thing, feels much stiffer and makes that really cool clicking noise from gear to gear.

also, sign yourself up for an auto cross, best 30 bux you can spend to see what your car can do and its limits.

and desnorkel it please, its free (that may be best bang for a buck)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
Don't Desnork the 987

If you had a 986 , then deffinitely, but I beleive he said he had a 987. 987's do not respond well to Desnorking. Several people have experimented with this and I beleive it is the general consensus for the 987 series.

Steve
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #10

My first recommendation would be suspension, ROW30 or a nice set of coilovers will lower the car, firm up the ride and most importantly greatly reduce body roll on hard cornering, makes the car much more fun to drive.

Weight-loss is also good, thre first one is very cost effective*, the others are not, but all save weight:

Braille lightweight battery 10-15 lbs total weight*
Lightweight wheels
Lightweight muffler and/or exhaust system
GT3 or similar lightweight seats
Lightweight flywheel (if you are replacing clutch anyway)

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:53 AM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
The short shifter was my first mod, and I can really tell the difference when I drive someone else's car. However, doing some Auto-X and learning how to drive the car really makes more difference than anything. I wouldn't dare testing the car's limits on the street...the limits are waaay out there, and the consequences are dire. By auto-xing, you'll find out just how hot you can go into a turn, what happens when you brake in a turn, how quick the car brakes and accelerates in a straight line, etc. All of that made me reassess my "modification wish list".
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #12

I agree with j.fro! my very first mod was de-snorkel (thanks to Blinkwatt) and then I came up with a mod list as follows:
-18"wheels = done
-suspension
-lowering it
-front and rear sway bar
-exhaust system
But you know what, all of them has been put to back burner after I spend the best $30 few months ago...I start AX'ing (only my 4th time) and learn the limits of the car and save me a few thousand dollars of mod's I still have the list of mod's to do but I need to go to HSDE (High Speed Divers Ed.) to my local PCA first
Of course, If I have that money to spend I would do the mod's and AX'ing both at the same time Blinkwatt now's that I'm still saving for it..hehehehehe!

*shout out to DJ for my new sig...thanks, dude

Last edited by unklekraker; 08-11-2007 at 05:31 AM.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
bmussatti

Bwbanker, join your local PCA, and start doing some DE's and AutoX's.

Oh, and take a trip to the Dragon!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #14

Buy the book "Going Faster" by Skip Barber. Race craft is 1/2 academic and 1/2 application.

I've been instructing at the race track for years, and let me tell you that tightening the nut behind the wheel is the best bang for the buck you'll ever get. Bolt-on engine mods might be worth 1-2 sec a lap, a set of race tires would be worth 3-5 sec a lap, but four driving schools (about $1200) is worth 20+ sec a lap (if not more) and it will make you safer on the street too.

If you're short on cash (which I can't imagine owning a 987), the National Autosports Association (NASA) has a two-for-one worker credit deal. You work two weekends, and then you get to drive the third for free. This is an awesome way to learn because you can work on a corner and figure out all the race commands, learn the flags, and watch other people make stupid mistakes. By the time you get on the track you're a step up on your fellow drivers.

Last edited by iflyadesk; 08-12-2007 at 07:33 AM.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Track rat

Garage
I gotta go with others here and say the best bang for the buck for real performance gains are a good set of tires and some driver training. Most engine mods on these cars result in zero improvement in lap times so it's just money down the rat hole in terms of useable performance gains.

The 986/987 is a formidable sports car and in the hands of a skilled driver can outrun almost anything on an Auto-x course or technical racetrack. Here in So Cal a few showroom stock base Boxters regularly outrun everyone except fully stripped and modified race cars. Last week they beat all the 987 S, Cayman S, 997's, GT3's, Twin turbo's, etc. Not too bad for 217hp and a good set of street tires.

Last edited by Topless; 08-12-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #16

Your question is a bit vague b/c it really depends on what your goals are. If you are using the car on the track, the first thing you want to do is improve your driving through experience. Once you feel like the car is holding you back here are a few mods you can make:

- New lighter wheels and tires
- New suspension, Blistein PSS9 is a popular choice for the 987
- New exhaust and headers - dependent on what u get it is possible to add some HP

Personally, I think you should just work on your driving skills and worry about mods later.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #17

In case you are interested in improving your cornering speeds and look for a "budget improvement" then here is my tip:
Porsche set up the Boxster to understeer (a.k.a. pushing), my guess is that they figured that the average driver can handle a car which mildly steers towards the exit of a corner better than a car where the back end comes loose (a.k.a. oversteer).
IMHO they overdid this a little.
So I would suggest:
a) get wider front tires, go from 205 to 225, they fit on the existing rims
b) go to an alignment shop and get as much negative camber in the front as the stock suspension allows you to do (probably 3/4 degree)

Both mods together will give you much more grip on the front and allow you to take fast turns much quicker and your Auto-X and DE/TT times will improve with this simple mod.
Yes, and in case you do not Auto-X then starting Auto-X will be an even cheaper performance improvement.

Cheers

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote