Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #1

134a Regrigerant

Any one out there used 134a refrigerant to recharge their air conditioners? I’ve noticed you can now buy refrigerant again.

Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #2

I would go out on a limb and say that all cars 99 and up should be equipped with R134 systems. You may be thinking of the old R12 that you cant find anymore? Charging an AC system is very pressure sensitive and should only be done with the proper equipment to avoid damage.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blue
Any one out there used 134a refrigerant to recharge their air conditioners? I’ve noticed you can now buy refrigerant again.
Yes, it's easy to top off the system if it's a little low. If you're recharging an empty system, it's better off left to professionals. They will put a strong vacuum pump on the system to "boil" off any moisture present in the system before adding refrigerant & oil.

Check out this website for excellent do-it-yourself info:

http://www.id-usa.com/how_to_faqs.asp
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #4

No not confusing with the old R12, or R 22. I saw the 134a in a Wal Mart the other day and was surprised that it was being sold. Hadn't seen this since the old CFCs were taken off the shelves. I did walk over the bridge to New Progresso Mexico about five years ago and they were selling the old refrigerant in one pound bottles in the street.

I was going to charge my system which was damaged several weeks ago but I think I'll take Even Steven's advice and let a pro draw a vacumn to get all of the water out of the system. Road debris knocked a hole in one of my condensers and it sat empty for about two weeks.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blue
No not confusing with the old R12, or R 22. I saw the 134a in a Wal Mart the other day and was surprised that it was being sold. Hadn't seen this since the old CFCs were taken off the shelves. I did walk over the bridge to New Progresso Mexico about five years ago and they were selling the old refrigerant in one pound bottles in the street.

I was going to charge my system which was damaged several weeks ago but I think I'll take Even Steven's advice and let a pro draw a vacumn to get all of the water out of the system. Road debris knocked a hole in one of my condensers and it sat empty for about two weeks.
Why were you surprised that it was being sold? I've bought 134a several times over the last few years at Autozone, Walmart, and places like that. R22, which works in R12 systems (although it has its own set of problems), is also, or used to be, available OTC as well. R12 is the one that is restricted and I don't think any of our cars should use it. Even my old '93 BMW ran 134a.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #6

Not so much surprised as releived. I remember when it was taken off the market to people without certification. I'm glad to see one can do this routine maintenance again.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #7

Hmm. I remember buying a couple bottles of r134a probably back in 2001 for my Toyota pickup that had a hole in it's condenser. I had to replace it and recharge the system...

For the p-car, I'd recommend professional help. Mine's working great, but I'll probably have it professionally checked out next year.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #8

R-12 was replaced as a motorvehicle refrigerant in 1994. All vehicles model year 1994 and up should have 134a.

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote