Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #1

windshield dings and strange noise

Hi,
I had my car not for too long, only drove 2K on the car. However, I don't know if I am unlucky or not, but I kept getting dings on my windshields. I got 1 very seriously on (1 inch star) and a few smaller ones. I got all those on Freeway driving. I have not experienced this many dings from my pervious cars so I want to check with all of you and see if any of you are experiencing similiar problem. Is it the curve of the windshield that is causing the problem, the windshield is not installed properly at the factory or I am just unlucky? Of course, my car insurance company is repairing the windshield dings without cost to me, but I would like to find out if it is a common problem to any of you.

Besides that, periodically, when I am driving, I hear a "crack". I don't know where it is coming from, but it is quite weird. Anyone is experiencing this too?

Thanks,

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #2

i'm experiencing exactly same thing as you. window seem to be pretty weak when it comes to chipping and i hear those cracking noise all the time as if my windshield is constantly getting hit by little stones. i'm the third owner and not sure if the windshields are original or not.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #3

The car is quite low and hence the windshield takes hits easily from pebbles and such, being at such an angle. I have learnt to keep a safe distance from the car ahead of me, especially if it's a big SUV or truck. Also, roads in the US have a lot of debris etc compared to roads in Europe, which are so much cleaner.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #4

There is another "cracking" sound that is not rocks hitting your windshield.

It is the convertible top gasket moving laterailly against the painted surface of the top of the windshield frame.

You will hear this on very hot days and it was alarming the first time I heard it, but I have been told it is normal. A little gasket lubricant will reduce the cracking sound to something less alarming.

Just thought I'd mention this as it came to mind.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the 411. It is good to know that I am not the only person who is experiencing these two problems. However, I certainly do not like the fact I have to make sure no cars are around me when I am driving to ensure I get no more rocks hitting on my windshield.

With that said, I am certainly going to email prosche about these two items and hope that you are all going to do it, too. The more people complain about it, the more likely porsche is going to do something about it, right?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #6

the rock chips usually come from the car in front of you. if you stay a good distance, you should be fine. i don't like anyone ahead of me anyway cause i drive like a maniac.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #7

I was also impressed by how quickly small rock chips accumulate in the windshield. I put a new windshield on the car 10K ago and I was very carefull to keep a good distance behind cars in the front, and avoid trucks that may spray "chunks" on the car. Still, within the first few thousand miles, I had accumulated quite a few "pits" in the windshield.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #8

Another "Crack" sound

you know, today, I was driving with the top down and I heard another "Crack" sound. Does anyone know what that is? I certainly that it wasn't a rock hitting my windshield because I am back up from a parking space.