Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #1

20K Mile Service

20K update -

The servie has been done and all checks out good.

BUT, I have been informed I need new front brakes and rotors? all for about $760? It is a dialy driver but I am by no means overly aggressive with the car. Is this normal? What do you guys think? Pads, okay, but rotors? already? maybe I'll just keep the loaner Honda Accord they gave me

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #2

There's no way you would need rotors at 20k unless they were scored or warped. Have you done any previous pad swaps? Are you using the OEM brake wear sensors? If no pad swaps and you still have the sensors installed then you would get a warning light when brake pads are at wear limit. I'd suggest you eyeball pads and rotors yourself. If pad thickness is less than backing plate, it's time to replace pads. Ask the shop to put a micrometer on rotors and tell you actual versus spec. One rotor should be good for at least 2 sets of pads unless you're using a race compound pad.

Last edited by choeglund; 08-07-2007 at 12:25 PM.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #3

Not unheard of... Eslai needed new brakes all around at his 20K interval on his 05 S, if you remember his post.

Assuming you're not "overly agressive" with the car, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're an early clutch-presser when braking. 9 times out of 10, when watching someone else drive a manual I'm amazed by how early they put the clutch in when slowing down. Even in 5-6, there's no need for this, and as soon as you put the clutch in you're getting zero benefit from engine compression, it's all brakes at that point.

Perhaps this does not apply in your case...but anyway...Go Cowboys... I'm psyched for this year.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #4

I had the same thing 21k miles and I needed new brakes.. porsche said same thing 800 bucks for rotors and pads.. I took it to Redbone here in orlando and explained it and they almost laughed as they told me one more set of pads is just fine before new rotors. They did understand porsche's position on the best quality stopping and the standards around it which is why they say pads and rotors but reality is, not necessary. I had them change the pads with OEM pads from the dealer for 220 bucks out the door and the car has had them since with no issues.

/b
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #5

Since I got my boxster, I think I've saved a lot of brake wear. I just LOOOOVE having a car that will take a right-angle turn at 35 mph.

Of course, I'm spending a fortune on tires... :ah:

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlevins
Since I got my boxster, I think I've saved a lot of brake wear. I just LOOOOVE having a car that will take a right-angle turn at 35 mph.

Of course, I'm spending a fortune on tires... :ah:
LOL, HAHAHA Good Point!

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Not unheard of... Eslai needed new brakes all around at his 20K interval on his 05 S, if you remember his post.

Assuming you're not "overly agressive" with the car, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're an early clutch-presser when braking. 9 times out of 10, when watching someone else drive a manual I'm amazed by how early they put the clutch in when slowing down. Even in 5-6, there's no need for this, and as soon as you put the clutch in you're getting zero benefit from engine compression, it's all brakes at that point.

Perhaps this does not apply in your case...but anyway...Go Cowboys... I'm psyched for this year.
Go Cowboys? Aren't you in Charger's country? Go Pats is more like it!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Since when did Porsche set a 20k mile service? I thought they were all in 15k intervals & 1 year intervals?

Your rotors shouldn't need to be replaced at 20k,get a second opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #9

hey guys -

thanks for the info...I'll see if I can find someone on the side to check it out....I am running oem pads and no sensor has gone off as of yet....

SD, I drive like crap I'm sure which is why I got to get in a car with Sammy, I hear he's good....but I usually down shift a bunch before hitting the brakes...which freaked me out when I read dj's advice of brakes are cheaper than a tranny so use the brakes...can't win on this one I guess

I do know I'm super psyched for them Cowboys too!!!! I keep hearing Cowboys Pats super bowl...

hey blink, 987 is a 20K service interval, it changed from the 986....you shouldn't know, but the service guy should.....

hey you need the 15K on this thing still...
yeah, that's why I'm here dude, and its 20K....
no, its actually15K.
Really cause the manual says the 987 is at 20K.....
Oh yeah well it just says that......

ahhhhh service....and man I really don't have that high of expectations......

I also got the dreaded reasoning to not look into a problem....

also, the passenger window sticks.......

that's because you have to pull the handle give it a second and then open the door

yes but I shouldn't have to educate a passenger on how to open a door, driver window doesn't stick, passenger should be the same....get up and look

alight alright, I'm done complaining
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 AM   #10

The "Porsche" service guy didn't know what the proper service intervals were for your car? You should have saved yourself some money and done the 20k service yourself.....you probably would have done a better job than that bozo. I think you need a second opinion on those brakes unless you spent half of those 20k miles out on the track.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #11

Supe, My passenger window does the same thing sometimes. It must have something to do with our paint color...r9i8c7k, I'm not a SD native and am pretty ambivalent about the Chargers but intensely dislike the Patriots (but appreciate them as a fine organization).

Not sure that Michael Irvin belongs in the hall of fame though.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #12

man SD....not only is Irvin a hall of Famer but he's a first ballot, and its a shame a Steve Yong went in before him. Those Cowboy teams don't win Superbowls without Michael the same they don't win with any of the triplets missing.

The only reason the niners won with A superbowl with Young was because Dalls spotted them 21, and not to mention the niners sold their souls that season in free agency and still haven't recovered...

don't know if you caught the Jones speeh but he said it best, everyone new Aikman was going to Irvin, and it didn't matter, you couldn't stop it....oh man, sorry, this is going to turn in to the ESPN blog
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Supe, My passenger window does the same thing sometimes. It must have something to do with our paint color...r9i8c7k, I'm not a SD native and am pretty ambivalent about the Chargers but intensely dislike the Patriots (but appreciate them as a fine organization).

Not sure that Michael Irvin belongs in the hall of fame though.
"but intensely dislike the Patriots (but appreciate them as a fine organization). " I get that allot now. At work, I have a Chargers fan on one side and a Steelers fan on the other. Our lunch truck driver is a Raiders. So you can just guess some of their feelings about my team.

I am actually amazed at times the feelings towards the Pats considering we were the biggest losers for decades. How times change.