Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #1

blown head gaskets - very uncommon - reports Porsche Vancouver

2000 Boxster 52k Miles

I have recently posted about white smoke (maybe Air Oil Separator) issue. Apparently I have been told by a mechanic that I don't know nor trust that my car has a blown head gasket. The car had ALL of the symptoms of a bad AOS. I called the official Porsche dealers and they both said they've NEVER heard of a blown head gasket.

Mechanic said he found white stuff on the spark plugs and looked in the cylinder. Thats how he came to the conclusion of blown head gasket. He charged for 2.5 hrs for discovering this...???

Then, I towed my car to the Porsche dealership for a second opinion. Will know more tomorrow and will post the outcome.

Anyone actually experienced this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

khaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #2

Garage
Hope it's nothing too serious. I am often disappointed with auto mechanics as their practices are not always the best for the customer
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

Took the car to the Porsche dealership and they confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed the AOS.

The idiot mechanic that said it was my head gasket charged me $226 for his false diagnosis.

I guess it's worth the extra money to bring it to the experts. It seems as though they don't need to scam their customers.
khaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #4

Garage
great news and unfortunately it confirms my experience. "you have to be so careful with mechanics as they can be very wrong" and still charge a fortune. It actually speaks to a bigger issue in my view and that is the business model for the auto repair business is greatly flawed but I'll save my rant for another thread. Glad it wasn't a head gasket