Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #1

Race Classification Info

I have never cared or watched any type of racing. Since getting the Boxster I caught some of the 24 hours of Lemans and on Saturday the Rolex series.

What classes I'm interested in are the "street looking cars". I mean when I watch, I know the car is a 911, F430 RX-8 or whatever. I don't want to see the F1 or Daytona protoype type cars where you have to read the name to know what type of car it is.

In the Rolex series, the GT class is this type. Can anyone give me any other series and classes to look for?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

In ALMS (and LeMans) it is the GT2 class (think 997 cup like cars) and GT1 is where the Corvettes and Aston Martins have been duking it out until recently. LMP1 and LMP2 are the "prototype classes - think Audi R10 and Porsche RS.

Speed GT is all "street" looking cars.

SCCA (think Run-Offs) is filled with "production cars" in various classes.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Give F1 a try...

This is the ultimate racing genre, and anyone who saw qualification today from Hungary will know you will be hard pressed to find more excitement in any kind of sport.

If you follow F1 for a while you can notice all the differences in aerodynamics and understanding both tyre and engine development is a truly amazing and exciting part of watching F1.

I watch most kinds of racing and I can guarantee you Nascar of Champcar cannot deliver the same level of quality racing !

Back to your question.

Before some F1 races there is Porsche CUP. This is Porsche ONLY and if you ever go to a F1 grand prix weekend, dont miss this ... there is F1 engine sound (or was - back when it was V12 engines and no RPM limits) and then there is Porsche Cup race engine sounds...

Then there is DTM - a very high quality racing league in Germany with megastars like Pedro De La Rosa (McLaren), Tom Kristensen (Our danish Le Mans pride), Mika Häkkinen, Gary Paffet (McLaren)... they race Mercedes and Audi cars in 2007 and 2006 spec cars... very entertaining !!

BTCC is cars like SEAT and BMW ... I think it lacks great drivers! In denmark we have DTC and we have guys like Jan Magnussen (Former F1 driver) ...

More Porsche can be found in Le Mans races ...but seing a Porsche being overtaken by a AUDI every minute is not much fun

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote