986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Glass Cleaner Recs? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12495-glass-cleaner-recs.html)

OldBlevins 08-03-2007 07:11 AM

Glass Cleaner Recs?

My windshield is spotted with what looks like mineral deposits. My standard industrial-strength glass cleaner doesn't do a thing for it. Do I need a glass-stripper or something else? Thanks.

RandallNeighbour 08-03-2007 07:55 AM

You may be able to clay bar it and get the spots off. Are you sure you're not seeing pitting from sand and debris hitting your windshield? Mine had awful pitting in it before I swapped it out earlier this year.

Another thing you can try, tested first in an inconspicous corner (lower passenger side by base of windshield would be a good spot), would be "barkeeper's best friend," found in the grocery store isle in a "comet" style container.

This stuff is amazing. It polishes glass like no other product. Works great on wine glasses and the windows in your house too.

However, I must say that I've never tried it on a windshield and therefore you should be extremely cautious to test it before you haul off and do a big spot and find out it caused more damage than good.

timothy 08-03-2007 08:30 AM

Clay bar is a good idea. I used Klasse all-in-one on my windshield last weekend and it took off some deposits that Stoner Invisible Glass missed. If you already have Klasse it's worth a try but otherwise the clay bar is much less expensive.

OldBlevins 08-03-2007 09:14 AM

Thanks, guys. I'll try the clay bar first as a safe method and if it's still a problem, try the barkeeper's best friend on a small spot on my wife's side of the windshield. ;)

Grizzly 08-03-2007 10:33 AM

Most often (if they're deposits and not etchings) vinegar will break them down, no problem.

choeglund 08-04-2007 03:30 AM

Razor blade

chaudanova 08-04-2007 11:12 AM

Try Brasso polish, followed up with some Stoner Invisible Glass...

Paul 08-04-2007 11:54 AM

From www.PCA.org and John Paterek the ultimate authority on this subject.

We have foumd Wurth Zebra finish which was introduced as a lubricant for thier clay paint cleaneris incredible for removing bugs water spots and film on glass.It may not Google but we have won Restoration of the year PCA parede 2 times Pebble beach, Louis Vuitton, Amelia Island ETC using tjis product. I am a firm believer in it,it also removes hard water spotting and streaks.

John Paterek - PCA WebSite - 4/18/2005

bmussatti 08-04-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
From www.PCA.org and John Paterek the ultimate authority on this subject.

We have foumd Wurth Zebra finish which was introduced as a lubricant for thier clay paint cleaneris incredible for removing bugs water spots and film on glass.It may not Google but we have won Restoration of the year PCA parede 2 times Pebble beach, Louis Vuitton, Amelia Island ETC using tjis product. I am a firm believer in it,it also removes hard water spotting and streaks.

John Paterek - PCA WebSite - 4/18/2005

Good find, Paul. Here is a link to the Wurth Zebra Finish:

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/leftnavi/catalog/product.php?path=06.0420.jpg

Paul 08-04-2007 01:28 PM

Thanks for the link, I was looking for it!!

OldBlevins 08-14-2007 06:47 AM

Thanks, all. I ended up trying vinegar first without much luck. Then I tried RandallNeighbour's suggestion for the Barkeeper's Best Friend. Using a non-scratch kitchen pad, I scrubbed lightly, but vigorously for a long time, then wiped it clean, then used the vinegar again. That did a pretty good job. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better. If I decide to go for perfect, I'll give the Wurth Zebra finish a try. :cheers: