Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #1

Replace Clutch with engine replacement??

Joined forum a couple weeks ago when I had breakdown on my 01 Boxster S and unfortunately everyone was right in diagnosing my Intermediate shaft failure at 51,000 miles. The dealership is starting the teardown and has contacted me about replacing other items now along with the engine. Some are clearly needing replaced, but others may be questionable. Need some input on this again.
The transaxle boots are cracked and no grease, so therefore I am guessing this to be a must replace and they are estimating around $500. They have not looked at clutch yet, but say it would be best to replace while in there and to replace total clutch unit at cost of around $700. I am guessing this to probably be optional (depending on condition of existing clutch) but what have others done in this situation? These cost my seem trivial in contrast to total engine, but even though Porsche is helping me some, out of pocket is going to be very substantial. Again car is 01 with 51K and will have new (or reman) Porsche engine put in it.
Also, engine will carry 2 year warranty, but does anyone know if I could buy a complete extended warranty on a 01 or should I not be that concerned since engine will be covered?
Thanks

koboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #2

I'd go ahead and have the clutch changed... it'll be easier while the engine is out... in the future, you'd end up having to pay to have the transmission pulled to replace it. It's one of those WYIT (while you're in there) things.

Look around for warranties, aftermarket warranties are available. Be sure they cover everything. My extended warranty needed to have gaskets added on at a small extra charge, since it didn't cover them.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If they are removing the tranny,then sure go ahead and change your clutch out. Better to have it done for cheap,rather then have it go out in 10k more miles and spend twice as much.

I'd ask your dealership how much they want for the parts,then give Sunset Imports ( www.****************************************************.com ) a ring and see buy how much they can beat them $$$ wise.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

What is a Sachs clutch? Can be found online for 1/2 of dealership quote.

koboxster
koboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Sachs is a company that has been making clutches for a long time. They are the OEM supplier for many different types of cars clutches,especially German cars.

If you going to buy a Sachs replacement clutch for your Boxster check to see if it comes with the throw out bearing and such.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #6

Def do the clutch while you're in there. Sachs is essentially OEM at a much lower price, although if dealer is doing the work they have have a fit about installing parts that aren't labeled "Porsche."

I'd very much consider a lightweight flywheel while you're in there as well, makes the car infinitely more fun.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote