Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #1

1st Impression - GTO

My co-worker bought her 16 yr old son a Pontiac GTO for his birthday ( she told him she would if he got straight A's ) and she brought it to work yesterday and let me take it for a spin.

Nice car, more of a luxury coupe than a pure sports car ( with a big old engine - 400 hp ). Very quick off the line, nice interior, and Blaupunkt stereo.

Gotta say, though, once I got back in the Box for the ride home, I still like my car a hell of a lot better

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #2

Nick, your friend should have her head examined. Giving a 16 year old kid a car with 400 horsepower is like giving a toddler a loaded shotgun with a hair trigger.

Please return to this thread each and ever time she tells you about how he's been ticketed, wrecked it, or worse. It will just validate my sentiment that driver's licenses should not be granted to anyone under the age of 21. It would save thousands of lives each year and our insurance rates on our cars would plummet with these reckless drivers off the streets.

I know... I used to be one of them!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #3

I concur Randall, but I'm not sure which is worse, a 16 yr old with a 400 hp car or all these idiot soccer moms in their huge SUV's talking on their cell phones

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thats a nice car Nick, i had a chance to drive one before, and its pretty freaggin quick.
and as for the tickets and whatnot, its the car, not really the driver.
i drive my box the same way i did my camaro, and yet in camaro i would get pulled over AT LEAST once a week, which just got boring/old really fast and i sold the thing, on top of getting 9mpg if i took it easy lol.

funny, sold it to a kid who was 16, just got his license, and works at Jewel, i think he crashed it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Nick, your friend should have her head examined. Giving a 16 year old kid a car with 400 horsepower is like giving a toddler a loaded shotgun with a hair trigger.

Please return to this thread each and ever time she tells you about how he's been ticketed, wrecked it, or worse. It will just validate my sentiment that driver's licenses should not be granted to anyone under the age of 21. It would save thousands of lives each year and our insurance rates on our cars would plummet with these reckless drivers off the streets.

I know... I used to be one of them!
RN, I was reciting your post in my head as I was reading Nick's! I used to cringe every time one of my teenage kids left in the car. My sons had an '84 Volvo Sedan and my daughter now has an '06 VW Beetle. The thought of them driving a 400hp beast with next to no driving experience would be unbearable.

I don't want to stereotype Nick's co-worker's kid, because he may be very level headed and responsible, but with a brand new GTO, it only takes a split second lapse.
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #6

get this kid to the nearest PCA or SCCA Autocross ASAP.
Once you teach a teen ager how to drive he's less likely to do something stupid.
Reckless driving usually occurs because because kids have no respect for power.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #7

Frankly, your coworker is STUPID.

That car will probably be wrecked within 6 months. 400hp is simply TOO MUCH CAR for a 16 year old.

I hope she has a ton of money, because that car will likely end up a total loss.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Pat

This may be the first time I've ever hear anyone say that a Pontiac has a "nice interior."
Old 08-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #9

Bravo, Perfectlap ! I was just telling her about the autocross I went to Sunday and told her that her son and husband should join me next time. Not only would it be fun, but I explained to her it would be a great experience for her son to learn the limits of the car in a safe, controlled environment.

I guess great minds think alike

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Bravo, Perfectlap ! I was just telling her about the autocross I went to Sunday and told her that her son and husband should join me next time. Not only would it be fun, but I explained to her it would be a great experience for her son to learn the limits of the car in a safe, controlled environment.

I guess great minds think alike

Nick
Unless he hits a wall off in the corner
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #11

I just have to add my agreement with the sentiment here!

I have two kids now 22 and 18 I did not even think about buying them high powered cars here is what I did:

My son’s first car was a Dodge Dakota Truck (he wanted a truck!). It came with a 4 banger and the only significant add on was air conditioning & ABS brakes. He drove it around for 2 years without any major mishaps (a few scraps here and there) and in doing so he learned how to control a car and anticipate what his car and what others do.

My daughter (now 18) was given a Chevy Malibu Classic, in the last two years she got into one fender bender (a 2 kid car accident - they were both doing something wrong!) at low speed and one parking lot scrape. She now says quite openly that she was a terrible driver when she first got her license, she is much improved now.

Both cars were about 2 years old when purchased, they were/are safe and reliable and do not have the power to get them to 100mph very quickly (if at all!).

Both of my kids attended the street survival driving course (a must!) and drive pretty well now (my son AutoXs his VW GTI!).

So my guidance for kids cars is that they be Safe, Boring and reliable! – Keep your kids safe!
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #12

I can't say I disagree with you guys but it's her son and her money and he seems like a good kid ( a lot more level headed than I was at 16 which is not saying much )

I had a Honda CRX when I was 16 and I crashed that 4 banger numerous times as did all my friends that had expensive fast cars ( not that a CRX is expensive or fast but you wouldn't believe some of the cars my classmates had - gotta love southern CA )

pteam - luckily the parking lot they run the SCCA events at is huge ! He would really have to go far off course to hit a wall ( crashing into a bunch of cars at the starting grid is a possibility, though )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
I don't want to stereotype Nick's co-worker's kid, because he may be very level headed and responsible, but with a brand new GTO, it only takes a split second lapse.
Ditto!

Here's what I've learned about 16 year olds today and their parents.

1. Kids are smart these days. Far smarter than my generation at that age. Just my opinion, but I think others would agree.

2. Kids are far more saavy to the ways of the world today than when I was growing up. In other words, a straight A student can also be selling bootleg speed pills over the internet, and he's smart enough to keep his mouth shut — and no one, not even his best friend knows he's doing it. He's squirreled the money away and is scheming to buy a Porsche the day he goes off to college, which his parents are paying for because they don't know he's got $40k growing in his Fidelity brokerage account.

3. My friends with teenaged kids actually think they know what their kids are doing or not doing most of the time. What a load of crap. Their kids are all smiles and straight A's around them and act like gangsters when the parents are out of sight. Many teenage kids today have a strong dual persona.

Geez. I re-read this before I posted it and I am officially an old geezer at 45! One would expect me to come out with "cut your hair and get a job and start paying taxes like the rest of us, you snot-nosed little brat!"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #14

The first car we got my oldest son was a '77 Firebird Formula with a 455ci engine. The second was a Datsun 240Z with 3 Webers and the third was a Geo Metro convertible. The only one he wrecked was the Metro.
Now, almost twenty yrs later, I hear stories about 125mph on a two-lane blacktop north of town in the Firebird. Fortunately he survived it all, probably no thanks to me.
I look back on it and say to myself, what was I thinking?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #15

To each their own I guess. The mother will have to live with the consequences of her actions but in my opinion people who do not earn things do not appreciate them. We may be doing things that we think are in our children's best interest at the time but life lessons and parenting sometimes mean holding back what our hearts would like us to do. I have a 16 year old son who is crazy about cars and I could buy him the coolest car in town but what would that teach him? I believe that it would rob him of the satisfaction of working, earning, and than smiling a sense of accomplishment because he did it himself. Working towards a dream instead of it handed to him like an ice cream cone. The world is full of these stories about kids gifted with too much car for their maturity. I know personally of three horrible accidents and two deaths because of this type of situation. This particular kid may be great and wise beyond his years but it is a bad recipe. At any rate, about the car. They are pretty nice in a straight line but I have seen it autocrossed and it wasn't pretty. Its like so many of the new domestic cars that are one dimensional. Not the total package but would be fun at the weekend drags.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
This may be the first time I've ever hear anyone say that a Pontiac has a "nice interior."
Thats because its not a Pontiac, Its a Holden! From the land down under.

and THAT IS STUPID TO GET THAT CAR FOR A 16 YEAR OLD. I am only 20 myself and I recently looked into getting a GTO, but decided on the Boxster instead. I love GTOs they are really good cars, good to look at, solid, good build quality, and reliable, but it is a HELL of alot of car. I think maybe even too much for me. The car is soo big, you loose your sense of speed when driving it. It would be easy to fly into a turn and loose it, if you did not know what you are doing. My 21 year old friend just bought one, but he is a experienced track driver. If i was given that on my 16th birthday, I might not be here today. Thats why I got a '99 Jeep Cherokee. I went Off-Roading instead, LOL
The GTO is a car for experienced 35 year olds!
Good Luck to the Kid, and God Speed

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/

Last edited by zackwatt; 08-02-2007 at 09:00 AM.
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #17

I was driving to my Parents house over the weekend on 75 here in Big D and in my rear view mirror I saw a bright yellow GTO, brand new come flying up behind me. He then proceeded to slow down and challenge me to a race. I was already doing 65 and just looked at him and laughed. It was a young kid behind the wheel. He took off and not more than half a mile later I see a SUV COP flying up behind me after him. The kid tried to exit the Hwy and I saw the COP follow him off the exit and turn his lights on. Then I realy started laughing.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

I disagree, its like giving a toddler a 8+1 mossberg 590 with 6 "less than deadly" rounds with 3 xxx buck shot rounds loaded in a mixed order. Oh and a hair trigger

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #19
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I disagree, its like giving a toddler a 8+1 mossberg 590 with 6 "less than deadly" rounds with 3 xxx buck shot rounds loaded in a mixed order. Oh and a hair trigger
LMFAO ROFL
Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
boggtown

I was given sports cars when I was 16 and the only wreck I've ever had was running over a parking block too far in my 3 inch ground clearance Z3. Im 19 now, been on this forum for 2 birthdays (no one wrote me happy birthday either...) I personally was going to get an 06 GTO, but they were raping me on my trade in so I didnt do it. Its about the individuals, not the car honestly. Give a 16 y/o an 84 civic and they think they are the balls and will drive it 100 MPH down a 25. believe it or not, but there are some smart, good driving 16 y/o's.