Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Tires Matching (Front/Rear)

Hi, I am looking different brand of tires for my boxster 99. (17 inch)

I am Hesitating between Eagle F1 and Michelin Pilote Sport.

Both have good review from both, Eagle F1 are a little bit cheaper, seems to be better in the Rain, they have a nice look, but seems to be less durable. I am also familiar to Michelin Pilote Sport because that's what I use on my motorcycle (Actually it's Michelin Pilote Power that replaced the Pilote Sport)

So I was wondering if It could be good to put some EagleF1 on the front for the control in the rain, and to put some Michelin Pilote Sport at the Rear so they won't run out too fast. I don't care paying for a tire, but I would like it to least more than a few week/month.

Is missmaching front/rear tires like that is a really bad idea?

What do you think about those tires (Pilote Sport vs EagleF1)? Should I go all EagleF1 or all Michelin Pilote Sport? I am not someone who is racing in the rain anyway (Well I don't race the car at all, but I want to have a good control of it), but I may use the car as a everyday ride even in the rain. Is there a big difference between them? does Michelin Pilote sport really last longer than Eagle F1?

Thanks

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #2

Mixing tires in that manner is not a good idea in terms of performance enhancement. Both brands you are evaluating are fine but overall performance will be compromised if mixed. This tire discussion could go on forever...I use Bridgestone Potenza SO-2A's and the wear and performance have been fine for my taste. They may not look as cool, as the tread pattern is not too agressive...but they are Porsche recommended and approved. Good hunting!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #3

What might make your decision easier is to check around and see if you can even get the F1s for the front. When I was checking I was told it would be a few months, and I checked several different local and online stores. If you do find them, please let me know where.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #4

Well they seems to be available from tireRack.com

I am just really curious to know if Eagle F1 wear really faster than Michelin Pilote Sport ? If not I'll simply go with 4 of them, if they wear really faster due to their good wet adherence, I'll probably go for 4 michelin pilote race.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #5

I wouldn't mix the tires. I know Michelin Pilots wear out pretty fast but they have really good grip and handling. I don't know about the Eagles but choose a tire with at least AA traction and A for temp. I think the tire wear rating goes from 180 and up. You can check out tirerack for reviews. If cost is not an issue, go with Pirelli P Zero (mine really sticks on the road) or Michelin Pilots. I heard Bridgestone Potenza is also good.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
boxsterz

GS-D3's have 280 treadwear vs. PS2 220, so the Goodyears should last longer.

I myself was going to just run my Conti's with GS-D3's out back, but later learned that DE's prohibit mixing of tires. They want the same model on all fours. The Conti's I have are 280 treadwear also, but they are a bit vague. They're very good for DD, but I want something more aggresive and communicative.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
"Well they seems to be available from tireRack.com"

Interesting. When I look at the F1 GS-D3 in a 205/50ZR17 at tirerack, it says under Estimated Availability "Back Order". If you do decide to get them and tirerack has them, could you pm me? Thanks.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #8

Finally, I done a few phone call. They Called GoodYear Canada, these tires (front ones) are back order, and not in production at all, so I guess we won't have any soon.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #9

Definitely go with the same all around no matter what your choice.

I will give a +1 vote for the PZero Pirelli 18's. Great dry traction and dont' drive it in the wet, so that doesn't matter to me. It is a pleasure car, not daily driver.

You should probably find a good compromise if you are going to drive it regularly in QC.

Send us down some Molson XXX please!

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 AM   #10

When I bought my Boxster, it had near used Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs, which I then switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on all four tyres as there was a offer for 4 tyres for the price of 3.

The Pilot Sport was gave me giddy thrills every time I went through a corner at high speed and it was extremely responsive to steering inputs.

After getting the GSD3s, I didn't get those giddy thrills much anymore and they feel blunt in terms of precision and accuracy. The grip levels are still good, but the difference is like having a sharp and blunt knife between the two tyre models. So for daily driving, it should satisfy enough, but if you are into precision and feedback, go with the Pilot Sport.

As for longevity with the GSD3s, I've used mine for 17,500 kms and my rears need changing. The fronts may last another 5,000 -7,000 kms. I do drive my car purely for windy roads and have done 3 track days, a skidpan day and a motorkhana (autocross) day using the GSD3s.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Check out this thread.
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11528&highlight=RE01R