Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
those looking for coilover setup...$935 with free shipping

found another one, dont know much about it.
but its cheap

http://www.hopupracing.com/d2rasprscosy48.html

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
boxsterz

Looks very promising! Not a small outfit for sure. Probably not a good as PSS9's Do you get what you pay for? Hmmm...

http://www.d2racing.com/html/coilovers.html
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
found another one, dont know much about it.
but its cheap

http://www.hopupracing.com/d2rasprscosy48.html
Dude I wouldn't do it. Go for the K-Sport or RoW 030 kit for the price.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #4

Another excellent option for the price is say Springs like HR and bilstein sport struts...
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #5

you should find out what the spring rates are.

I haven't done much home work on the coil overs because I'm not planning this mod/upgrade any time soon but the PSS9 had the following specs.

PSS9 Spring (progressive) rates - 325# front , 345# rear
PSS9 Valve full soft (compression/rebound) - 1470/970 frt, 2650/1020 rr.
PSS9 Valve full firm (compression/rebound) - 2100/1330 frt, 3230/1370 rr.

If those inexpensive coilovers have too soft a spring the car will bottom out nasty.
I made this mistake once with a set of Tokico's and what a nightmare. Had to undo the whole thing after cracking some parts. The FM springs I replaced the car with had the perfect spring rate and although the actually sat lower it never bottomed out .
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #6

Question about adjusting coilovers...

Okay, so how much of a pain in the ass is it to dial in the correct ride and feel. Granted everyone likes a different ride suspesion, but after looking at what's involved to adjust the height of the spring rate, it almost looks like I wouldn't want to be bothered with it.

1) After instal, have car alighnment done.
2) Test drive and make sure all springs are at the proper height. Then go back home and correct for ride proper height. (chances you get it the very first time are slim)
3) Jack up car, one side at a time if you don't have some type of lift or jack stands for all 4 sides, then break out that tool that looks like a can opener and adjust the springs height one turn of the rist at a time until you think you have it where you want it. Hope you can reach the springs with out removing the wheels(which you probably will have to do) and then do all the other sides the same.
4) Lower the car after tring to guess where the proper ride height should be.
5) Take for another test drive and hope it feels right, if not go back to garage and start all over again until you dial it in right.
6) Pay to have car re-alighned.
7) Then hope you don't want to change the setup ever again???

Does this sound about right? Can anyone tell me if this is close, or does the mechanic do all this type of work for you before you would pick the car up after installation?

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 06-29-2007 at 06:57 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #7

no you only have to do one alignment.

well if you have an impact gun and a race jack you can adjust the ride height in no time. Or if you have a friendly car enthusiast mechanic who sponsors your autocross/DE events they will help you. Some people actually think this tinkering is fun!!
Its a good idea to do a little research in the forums and ask others what their settings are and what sort of driving they do. Copy those settings to your car and take it for a drive. Maybe make one change softer or firmer. It's a sort of education on ride height and rebound/compression.
I think its kind of interesting. A pain in the arse if you don't have the right tools.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Dude I wouldn't do it. Go for the K-Sport or RoW 030 kit for the price.

FWIW, I found a few reviews on the web, and from what I've read D2 was rated better than K-Sport. From pictures they all looked very similar. My bet is that (Tein, D2, K-Sport all pretty much come out of Taiwan, and get rebranded, like those short shifter kits you see everywhere.

I'm planning on getting something soon as I add more power! I'd just go ROW 030, but feel the box is low enough as is. I scrape on some speed bumps and inclines. I hate having to crawl over things. Adjustible coilovers with stock height... what a shame
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #9

[QUOTE=boxsterz]FWIW, I found a few reviews on the web, and from what I've read D2 was rated better than K-Sport. From pictures they all looked very similar. My bet is that (Tein, D2, K-Sport all pretty much come out of Taiwan, and get rebranded, like those short shifter kits you see everywhere.

Truth is they are all made in different places. Short shifters can be made in just about any machine shop but you would need a pretty sizable operation to make adjustable coilovers. The K-Sports are made in Japan. I am not sure where all the others are made but I'll bet at least one is made in Korea or China and probably yet another in Taiwan. I think the most important thing is that they have a good spring rate and that they can be rebuilt in the US if something happens. Overseas shipping would cost huge $$$$$ for a rebuild.

One other point. The PSS9's are really great but they are soooooo expensive. I think they are geared more for professional drivers than weekend warriors like most of the ppl on this board. If you can afford 2K plus install then by all means go ahead and grab the Bilstiens but if you only occasionally do auto-x, DE's or are just looking for better handling I would considwer one of the other brands.

Just one man's opinion though.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #10

I don't think $1775 is expensive for a well respected name like B-stein.
If the difference between cheap and PSS9 quality is $800 I think its a no brainer.
You could spend a heck of allot more with TEIN or Moton.
But I agree not cheap but I don't think such a crucial part of a sports car's make up should be! Some guys will spend that on tires and wheels and have zero remorse. Suspension is equally if not more important. The labor is what makes it a a kick in wallet.

I'd personally would sooner spend $2500 on PSS9 then on exhaust/intake/header/chip/bla bla bla.

btw, what is the going rate these days for new OEM shocks,springs, labor?
Everyone's got to do it at least once. If I'm spending more than $1000 on maintenance I'm going for an upgrade.

edit:
New B-stein sport shocks and ROW springs will set you back $1200(not including shipping) on Pelican Parts.
Seems like the coilovers are the better deal for another five hundo.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-29-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #11

With coilovers, if you want them properly set up your mechanic will corner balance at a certain height... if you ever raise or lower them, then you will need to corner balance again. After the car is at a proper height and corner balanced, then it should be aligned. With adjustable coilovers, like the PSS9's, you simply dial in your adjustments to the dampening (or rebound with others like JIC) with a dial located usually at the bottom of the strut. A corner balance is crucial for properly setting up coilovers... suspension work for the boxster should be three levels when concerning struts... springs (if you want cheap way to lower it for looks), 2000-3000 coilovers like JIC cross or PSS9's, or club-sport level remote mount reservoir moton's 5000-6000 range... every level needs an alignment. The PSS9's are in no means a compromise of cheapness and handling. The Boxster Spec guys run stiffer eibach springs with them and they are totally capable... I run PSS9's and I couldn't be any more happy than I am.
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I
btw, what is the going rate these days for new OEM shocks,springs, labor?
Everyone's got to do it at least once. If I'm spending more than $1000 on maintenance I'm going for an upgrade.

I don't think $1775 is expensive for a well respected name like B-stein.
If the difference between cheap and PSS9 quality is $800 I think its a no brainer.

edit:
New B-stein sport shocks and ROW springs will set you back $1200(not including shipping) on Pelican Parts.
Seems like the coilovers are the better deal for another five hundo.

Excellent points. A large part of my decision to buy coilovers was the fact that my car had 30K miles on it so if was going to be looking at soon anyway why not just lay down for the coilovers anyway?

Like I said, I think that a lot of it is how much you are willing to spend and what it's worth to you as a driver.

I have to disagree though that it's a no brainer. $800 is a good chunk of money especially for someone who may be a first time Porsche owner. That statement assumes that if you don't pay 2K the product is crap. I have had a lot of items manufactured in large scale overseas and I can tell you from 1st hand experience that something made overseas can more often than not be better quality than domestic or european goods. The reason most Asian goods are of inferior quality is not because they can't make them better but because the American companies that are buying them spec them out that way. I could give you many examples but I think "Contractor quality tools" would be the best. Nylon gears instead of steel etc... Expensive does not always mean better quality. Where do all these companies get the money for advertising and sponsorships from anyway? It sure isn't volume that's for sure.

Perfectlap, I don't mean to offend just my opinion.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #13

no offense taken. $800 is indeed mucho dinero but when you consider you'll probably put 50K miles on the new suspension you should take a long term view of spending a big chunk of change all at once. And I personally think having PSS9's makes the car more attractive for resale. You don't see many Boxsters with those for sale. I think there are good mods and not so good mods when it comes to buying a 2nd hand pcar. PSS9 is definitely one I would be eager to test drive and one that doesn't strain/hurt the drive train.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #14

Here is an excellent article on shocks and why you never buy strange brands.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote