986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dealer charges (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12351-dealer-charges.html)

mkgonza2 07-24-2007 06:36 AM

Dealer charges

I am in the process of picking up my new '08 boxster. The final numbers include a charge of $250.00 for document fees and they mentioned something about dealer prep. Everything I read says that document fees are part of the dealers' " doing business " cost , and that the manufacturer pays the dealer for prep. Anyone out there know if these charges are bogus ?

RandallNeighbour 07-24-2007 08:11 AM

From my time as a car salesman years ago, I have discovered that dealers tack on all sorts of crap and it can all be negotiated.

I always negotiate a "drive out" price that includes everything they want to tack onto the deal and get a signature. I recommend you do this as well, or tell them you are not interested in taking delivery with miscellaneous profit line monies tacked on that were not made public during your negotiations.

Of course, this is just a tactic and you'd probaby buy your Porsche with these small fees tacked on, but it's worth a try to play hard ball with them.

If they dig their feet in, then tell them they must throw in a keychain, a cap, a shirt, and the first oil change for free to make up for their deceptive trade practices and lack of full disclosure. I've done that before and it actually worked.

Perfectlap 07-24-2007 08:14 AM

^What he said. And don't let them charge you $500 for that 'special Porsche wax job'. :cheers:

denverpete 07-24-2007 08:32 AM

They aren't bogus. Destination charges are required and dealer prep is generally a standard flat fee. Expect to pay that anywhere you go.

mkgonza2 07-24-2007 08:38 AM

bogus charges

I looked at the lease paperwork from when I leased my 2002 boxster and I could not find, or do I remember ever paying doc. fees or prep fees. Destination fees I understand, everyone always pays those but I have purchased many cars in my day and I have never paid the aforementioned fees.

danrhinofightteam 07-24-2007 09:12 AM

As a dealer i will tell you off the record that those a fake fees. When a car is made the include shipping on the factory invoice price so you are paying twice. And "dealer prep" is a glom. The factory preps the cars. When we get them all my tecs do is check the fluid levels and put gas in the tank.i know alot of highline dealers try to charge these fees but there all to make more profit. Again off the record lol

djomlas 07-24-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrhinofightteam
As a dealer i will tell you off the record that those a fake fees. When a car is made the include shipping on the factory invoice price so you are paying twice. And "dealer prep" is a glom. The factory preps the cars. When we get them all my tecs do is check the fluid levels and put gas in the tank.i know alot of highline dealers try to charge these fees but there all to make more profit. Again off the record lol

haha, awesome thx man,, i knew there was something to that crap

porsche986spyder 07-24-2007 09:40 AM

Total B.S.! Don't pay for those extra hidden fees. Just tell them flat out. "I'm not paying for that." They will act shocked at first, but if you stick to your guns and just tell them you don't want that or you know for a fact that you "don't have to pay for that" they will disapear and tell you they need to speak to thier manager and come back later and tell you, "yes, we can do that." and it magically disapears. Just act like your going to walk out and they will meet your needs. They don't want to loose a sale over a few hundred dollars when they could be making thousands. ;)

bmussatti 07-24-2007 02:51 PM

Well, dealer prep fees appear to be bogus, but don't fool yourselves, because there is a lot of prep to be done to our cars prior to driving them off the lot. Have you ever seen our cars when they arrive "off the boat"? They are literally wrapped in a cocoon of tape and a protective cover for the rag-top. Plus the DME needs to be awakened and the gas tank filled. Porsche pays the dealership a prep fee...not you.

As for Doc Fees, I think these are "real" cost but very negotiable (like most things). Some States, Illinois included, have laws on the books dictating just how high these fees can be. Some dealers charge the upper end, while others do not. You can check your Attorney General's web site for more info.

CONGRATS on the new car!

mkgonza2 07-24-2007 04:15 PM

shipping costs

Djomlas,
That's a new one ! Everything I read on bogus fees says that shipping costs ( especially on a vehicle coming from Germany --10 days on water and 3 days on land from Georgia ) are legitimate. Are you sure they are already "baked" into the invoice price of vehicle ?

danrhinofightteam 07-25-2007 05:00 AM

Ya shipping charges or destination is below invoice cost to a dealer/ so even it you pay invoice price dest is already included. Doc fees are a " paper and clerical handling fee" Ie. dealer glom lol its extra profit for the house.

kras 07-25-2007 05:56 PM

Do you mean "07" Boxster? I thought the 08 wasn't going to come out until the Frankfurt Auto show on Sept 13.

Brucelee 07-26-2007 03:30 AM

The document prep issue varies by state. In CA, the dealer is allowed to charge $45 for document prep, this is the state law.

The dealer does not HAVE to charge for documents, but usually do (they send s runner to DMV to do this work for you).

Most new car dealers that I know will pass the dealer prep charges along to the buyer, nothing sleazy or illegal about this either.

Hey, both these are costs incurred by the dealer, do you work for free?

:)

Brucelee 07-26-2007 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrhinofightteam

It is always dangerous to generalize based on one's own experience.

:)

mkgonza2 07-26-2007 10:53 AM

it's an '08

Yes it is an '08, probably the first to hit America. As far as document fees, I don't have an issue with a dealer making money -- when we work we need to get paid. The first issue I have is that I have a right to know what I am being charged for. When I asked for a breakdown of the doc. fees, I was told that there is no breakdown, it's just a charge they add to all their sales. Secondly, this is not a standard charge ( taxes, title fee, plates etc.... ) as such, they should disclose this fee up front, not at the end. It may not be, but is sure does appear deceptive.
Overall, I was able to order the car I wanted for 2k over invoice; I don't think there are many dealers that would sell you an '08 for that price. Ultimately, it's not the $250.00 doc. fee that upsets me -- it's the principle.

RandallNeighbour 07-26-2007 12:15 PM

When you go to pick up the car, drive it around the block, bring it back, ask to see the paperwork, and refuse to sign final papers on the car unless they lower the price of the car in the amount of the before-undisclosed document and prep fees.

The dealership's owner will tan their hides if he sess they waived these profit-padding fees, but won't mind seeing a couple of hundred knocked off the profit on the car.

Be prepared to walk off if they don't comply, knowing full well that you'll get a call on your home phone or cell phone within an hour with their willingness to comply with your request. The interest they would pay for your car to sit on their lot for a month or two until it sells is far more than $250, I assure you.

kras 07-26-2007 12:20 PM

Mkgonza2,
I'm in the market for a new Boxster as well. Could you please elaborate on the dealer you made --options, price etc...

Also, the 08 is supposed to have LED tail lights, new headlights and rumors of Direct Fuel Injection (which would increase HP). Do you have any info on this?

mkgonza2 07-26-2007 01:27 PM

kras

I sent you a private message with all the specifics on my '08. I also read all the good things about the DFI and led lights. I am scheduled to see me car for the first time sometime this weekend, but from what I have been told, all those improvements are scheduled for next year -- the '08 is basically the same as the '07 -- I know, I was disappointed too. I will let the forum know more when I pick up my car.

Perfectlap 07-26-2007 02:15 PM

what exactly does the dealer have to do in order to collect on his "doc fees".

as for the paper and tape all over the car...let the customer rip it off and save the customer $$$. I'm all for paying for the dealer's time but not at a multiple of 50x's the $8 per hour that he's paying the 20 year old part time worker to do it.
Imagine if I went to my dry cleaner and he said "we are now a 5 star Zagat rated dry cleaner and that $2 dry cleaning of your favorite shirt will now cost $100."
There's mark ups and then there's just being plain shady.