Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #1

New 986 Owner...Needs body shop on LI

I picked up my very first Porsche today. A 1998 986 Arctic Silver with 50,700 miles. Mechanically, the car seems to be in great condition. I had a PPI done before I bought the vehicle and it came back relatively clean for a 9 year old vehicle.

I bought the car in Maryland and drove it home to Long Island. Despite the endless traffic, the drive was amazing; having the purr of the Porsche engine behind you is truly an awe inspriring experience.

The only blemish on the otherwise good conditioned vehicle is a significant number of dings, scrapes, bumps and bruises. Most prominently, the lower portion of the body, below the doors on both sides of the car (where side skirts would be installed) appears to be peeling.

I need a good but relatively inexpensive body shop on Long Island; if anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, I look forward to many more posts on here an I will provide some pictures in the next day or so.

Thanks and it truly is a privilege to join the Porsche community.

sonvolt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #2

Ed from Electra autobody
he's on Montauk highway in Lindenhurst.
he has the best ding guy, i had 17 dings on my pass. door and they got them all out without painting.
Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #3

First, welcome. Second, nice to see another Lon Gislander in the mix. If you find someone good let me know. I think you are looking for a paint guy though, not a paintless dent removal guy, right?
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #4

Welcome to the boxster world....its fun but gets addicting as my wife keeps reminding me....by the way if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for her??? thanks/
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome gents.

Nick - I will give Ed at Electra a call. I'll let you know how she turns out.

986speedster - From what I've seen, there's no shortage of 986 and 7 owners on Strong Island. I could use a paint guy and a ding guy. Hopefully Ed is both of those and more.

mikes_box - I paid $14k and found her on Craigslist believe it or not. Once the PPI from Rockville Porshce came back clear, I was good to go. No problems as of yet (after 1 whole day) except for the keys that don't work remotely.

Thanks again.
sonvolt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #6

Electra is a body shop and has a great dent guy.
i bring my Boxster and my E30 M3 to him.
Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

Thumbs up LI body shop

Excelsior Collision in Westbury 516.408.3070 ask for Hector. Does great work always takes care of my car and wife. Tell him Roberto, Porsche 2003 silver, recommended him.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
congrats on your purchase, i have a 98 as well and have that same thing with the lower part where side skirts would be installed, looks weird, it puzzles me that the paint is peeling on these cars, and i had an incident where clear coat just peeled from the car on top of my tail light...
post up some pics so we can see the beast

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote