986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Friction Modifier (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12290-friction-modifier.html)

K80Kid 07-19-2007 10:06 AM

Friction Modifier

Has anyone used a friction modifier in their gearbox? Did it help?

My transmission has become difficult to shift. This is particularly true with second gear. Sometimes, it doesn't fully engage and the gears will grind when I let out the clutch.

I have tried using both Mobil 1 and Redline 75W90 NS. The Redline is currently in the car, and it is better than the Mobil 1, but not perfect. I have also had the shifter cables adjusted with the special jig.

I realize that I might be looking at a major repair in the future, but I was wondering if a friction modifier might hold things off.

Opinions?

- Mike -
01S

FrayAdjacent 07-19-2007 12:37 PM

Probably couldn't hurt using an additive, or a different transmission fluid if your shifting is still not smooth. Especially after having the cables adjusted. Were the cable ends checked? Fraying or failing cables can stretch, possibly causing a crappy shifter feel.

Your car is an 01 S? How many miles on the odo?

Rodger 07-19-2007 01:54 PM

I've got the exact same problem on my '00 S....crappy shifting into second. I, too, have tried Redline gear oil with almost no success. A high-RPM shift into second causes a minor grind, and I've missed second a few times due to incomplete engagement.

Fourth isn't too hot, either. I'm almost to 39,000 miles.

boxsterz 07-19-2007 02:53 PM

No but I plan to.

I've always had success with Redline MTL in other cars. My box will get it on the next service.

K80Kid 07-19-2007 05:58 PM

Fray, Schnell!,

My 01S has 35K miles. In fact I recently had the clutch replaced because the pedal was so stiff that I couldn't bear to sit in traffic.

Between the stiff clutch (now fixed), and crappy shifting, I'm really becoming frustrated with the Boxster's transmission!

I have search the Internet in vain for an answer to the shifting problem. I keep hoping that someone with the same problem will share the solution. My mechanic says "new syncros", but I'm not so sure. I'll be visiting the dealership tomorrow to have someone else drive it.

- Mike -
01S

K80Kid 07-19-2007 06:05 PM

boxsterz,

Hmmm. I actually called Redline before changing the gear oil and discussed the problem. They strongly recommended the 75W90 NS. They said that the boxster's gearbox is a "no-slip" design and that I should use the NS oil.

I would be willing to try the MTL if I could only hear from someone that has had success using in their Boxster, especially an S.

- Mike -
01S

Adam 07-19-2007 06:16 PM

I had some gear grindage the other day for the first time. I shifted into second, let out the clutch while giving it some gas around a turn and that thing made some bad noises. It seems the S transmission doesn't like to fully engage especially into 2nd especially when it's cold. Maybe I'll consider some redline when it's time to change the fluid.

FrayAdjacent 07-19-2007 08:41 PM

Must be an S thing... my base Boxster shifts quite well through every gear.

JackG 07-20-2007 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K80Kid
boxsterz,

I would be willing to try the MTL if I could only hear from someone that has had success using in their Boxster, especially an S.

- Mike -
01S

I'm running MT-90 in my S. Going into 3rd and 4th was a little notchy/balky when cold, and changing to the MT-90 helped that a lot. Redline says the MT-90 is slightly heavier than the MTL. I've got about 10k miles on the change, with 45k total on the car. No negatives to report.

K80Kid 07-20-2007 05:43 PM

Some more info...

I had a second mechanic test drive the car today. He also said it's the syncros...

Looks like I'm going to have to decide between;
a) rebuild the tranny
b) live with it
c) trade up!

I also called Redline again and spoke with a very knowlgeable person. He said that the 75W90 NS is the best for this car. He said the MTL and MT-90 are too slippery and will only make the shifting harder.

I'm not happy with what I am learning, but I thought I would share it with you guys!

- Mike -
'01S

Cloudsurfer 07-20-2007 08:22 PM

I run 75W90NS in my 02 S with great success.

Patrick

Adam 07-21-2007 05:38 AM

How many miles do you have on your 01 S Mike?

K80Kid 07-21-2007 07:27 AM

Adam,

35K miles. Seems like the tranny should last longer than that!

- Mike -

'01S

Adam 07-21-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Adam,

35K miles. Seems like the tranny should last longer than that!

- Mike -

'01S

Definately! Does the tranny grind only when it's cold or does it grind when warm too? I was thinking perhaps the cable has stretched some and you could try adjusting the linkage by the shifter?

boxsterz 07-21-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Some more info...

I had a second mechanic test drive the car today. He also said it's the syncros...

Looks like I'm going to have to decide between;
a) rebuild the tranny
b) live with it
c) trade up!

I also called Redline again and spoke with a very knowlgeable person. He said that the 75W90 NS is the best for this car. He said the MTL and MT-90 are too slippery and will only make the shifting harder.

I'm not happy with what I am learning, but I thought I would share it with you guys!

- Mike -
'01S

Bummer Mike. Nice to know. Well, at this point you don't have much to lose by trying MTL, or some other additive/mix? I'd donate one bottle worth to the cause just to see it makes any difference. I know Redline are their own experts, but an experiment is worth a thousand opinions.

I've just personally had so much luck with MTL that that is what I would do.

Anyone else want to donate to the MTL cause? Only my 2¢...

Rodger 07-22-2007 02:16 AM

Because the oil is considered a hazardous material, most companies won't ship it via air. Since I'm in AK, there's no ground shipping option. I got my MT-90 from Jeg's. I had forgotten how much shipping and handling cost......It's going to cost me $78 to get three quarts!

I guess I'l stay with MT-90 for now....

Houston C4S 07-23-2007 06:45 AM

I would advise checking the adjustment of the shifter cables.

I saw on Randall's car where his cable locator that is on top of the
transmission was about to slip out of its mount. That will let the
cable sleeve move around without moving the actual shifter cable
itself.

Anyway, I would start there.

Best,

- Mark

PS: On a car with some time and mileage, it cannot hurt to change
the lube.

K80Kid 07-24-2007 05:25 AM

Just a follow-up...

After making many phone calls, I have learned that my problems are not uncommon and this is a well known design flaw in the 986/996 transmissions. Apparently, thanks to Porsche, a lot of money is being made in the rebuilding business.

Anyway, I decided to call Porsche North America to see if they had any comments and whether they would stand behind their products. Not surprisingly, Porsche couldn't care less...

This may be my last Porsche... I have better things to do with my time.

- Mike -

Darkhamr 07-26-2007 08:33 AM

My '02S acts just as described when cold. I don't think it's the synchros, though it does appear that way at first. The shifter just stops a fraction of an inch from fully engaging second. I am simply more deliberate shifting into second until it warms up.

noone986s 07-26-2007 08:39 AM

Same here 2nd and 4th are sometimes difficult until warm, tried various gearbox oils including Shell, Mobil and OEM, got Royal Purple to go in over the weekend. If I wait until warm it is fine.