986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Maryland Anti Front License Plate Petition (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/1228-maryland-anti-front-license-plate-petition.html)

PeterJoyce 07-20-2004 06:08 PM

Maryland Anti Front License Plate Petition

Would everyone in maryland please sign this, Boxsters just look so much better without a front plate!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mdplate/petition.html

roman 07-26-2004 11:03 AM

Live with it my friend . . .

mrmickeymouse 07-26-2004 11:56 AM

Good luck I hope you make it, maybe you can cite what the other states have shown as a signifcant benefit through study.

Stryke 07-27-2004 07:11 AM

Even though plates in the front are required in NY, I took mine off over 6 months ago! :)

Subanez 07-27-2004 07:16 AM

Stryke- Any problems so far with that? I'm upstate in Syracuse, and was curious what repercussions there would be if I were to take off the front plate.

Thank ye kindly sir

roman 07-28-2004 03:43 AM

It's only a ticket (and your money) . . . I don't believe it's a moving violation though.

But why? It's the law . . .

Subanez 07-28-2004 05:11 AM

Eh, just curious, not going to do it, conversation only. :)

QporscheQ 07-28-2004 05:28 AM

Its a $50 fine in Missouri. But I took mine off along time ago. I started looking around and I noticed that about 1 in 8 people here dont have their front plate, so I said the hell with it.

roman 07-29-2004 09:36 AM

tick . . . tick . . . tick

Adam 08-01-2004 07:28 PM

Yeah, I never put mine on and 8k miles have passed with no problems whatsoever.(KOW) If you don't like how the front plate looks then take it off. If you can't deal with the possibility of getting a $50 dollar ticket then I suggest you play it safe and keep that badboy on there.

Gantra 08-02-2004 02:40 PM

Out here in CA, you just get a fix it ticket that is refunded if you return with the issue corrected. I haven't driven with a front plate in many years on several different cars. Never had a problem.

The front plate serves little purpose as it's hard to catch a clear glimpse of it while the car is moving during the day and of course it can't be seen at night at all. These days, i guess one reason to have it might be for traffic intersection cameras to snap a shot of the driver's face and plate in the same frame.

Really, i wish they would just switch to short range low power transmitters to convey details like vehicle license number, owner, insurance status etc. This will help the police and free auto designers to use that space in a more pleasing way.

Plates are ugly and I sure hate how they interfere with the design.

PeterJoyce 08-02-2004 07:07 PM

I hate the look of the front plate.

chrisrode238 04-28-2005 04:59 PM

Front Plates s***

The problem is, I have to drive my triple black 2001 on to an AFB, because that's were I work. Was never a problem until 2 days ago. The base police pulled me over and told me that I need to have one up front. Otherwise they would not let me drive on Base any more. They gave me a week to fix it.

So, .....in order to be able to get to work, I have to ruin my Boxster. That sucks!!!!!!!

Here is the question now ( ban me if you want ): Is there a somewhat descent way to get a front license plate on the car????? ( I mean looks ( well ?!), drilling holes, etc)

Thanks

Guy's
:confused:

Chris

2001 Triple Black
18" Turbo Wheels
otherwise pretty plain, but I love it anyway

Oh, I saw these techart wheel spacers, where is a good place to get them?

Perfectlap 04-28-2005 06:11 PM

not only does it suck in terms of looks, it also makes it easier for you to get a speeding ticket!
Cops generally point the Lazer gun at front headlights or.....your front license plate!!!

screw that man...

I have been at stop lights with police cars on the other side of the intersection many times. All the while I'm thinking "he's going to pull my ass over".
But so far nada. They know they have better things to do like look for killers and rapists.

actually I remember with my old Miata I took her down to the state inspection facility without a front plate. They just looke at me and said "dude where's your front plate? put on the dashboard at least" So I grabbed it from behind the passenger front seat and threw it on the dash. They passed me. :D

Brucelee 04-28-2005 06:39 PM

I HATE the front plate!

BoxsterMD 04-28-2005 06:57 PM

Peter,
I signed the petition. Thanks for posting that link.
Todd

tqtran 04-28-2005 07:57 PM

Yeah front plates......oh wait....NO FRONT PLATES IN INDIANA!!!! :cheers: HAHA sucks to be you

ntmatter 04-28-2005 10:15 PM

In Washington state it's a moving violation; I was pinched for this in my Viper some time back. I tried to point out (nicely, with pictures) to the judge that Dodge didn't make front plate mounts because the cars would get hot and fail emmissions, but she said I should then screw it or duct tape it or whatever. Then she called me an idiot (I'm not kidding) and charged me the full fine.

After that I carried around in my trunk my front plate bolted to a mount with suckers to hold it on (they make them for Vipers). When pulled over I'd say, "sorry, I was at a car show/race track (depending on the car's condition) and forgot to stick the plate back on". That worked every time.

DevNull 04-29-2005 09:29 AM

interesting... I am in Wa and have been stopped twice for no front plate and only had a fix-it ticket. Ticket was dropped when I sent a photo of the car with a front plate attached. Been driving without one on just about all my cars or the last 15 years and only stopped 2 times. I dont see Vettes getting nailed, and they never have a front plate. BTW there is a petition going around Wa for getting rid of the front plate requirement, there is info over at the NW region forum at Pelican.

Old Fart 04-29-2005 12:20 PM

I'm going to have to make the decision soon - plates should be here within a week. _Normally_, I wouldn't worry - but to get to my office on the west side at LAX, I have to run down Imperial Hwy - which is patrolled by "my" Airport PD, LAPD and El Segundo PD.