986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster vs Boxster S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12270-boxster-vs-boxster-s.html)

nylart 07-18-2007 08:20 AM

Boxster vs Boxster S

I'm a long-time Porscheaholic and have decided that I need a boxster. I would prefer an S. I'll be looking at 2000 - 2002's due to budget constraints. I've seen a list of things to be wary of on the base model (RMS, IMS, coolant tank, water pump leaks, etc.) do they also apply to the S?

Are there any things specific to the S to be aware of?

TIA,

Art

Adam 07-18-2007 08:34 AM

All the problems you mentioned are also potential problems on the S model as well. There are no S specific problems that come to mind.

JackG 07-18-2007 08:48 AM

It seems that the model years you're interested in have a habit of splitting the rear axle CV boots. Maybe this is because of the 6 speed tranny that is unique to the S, and the axles run at more of an angle, stressing the boots? In any case, it's a $500 - $1000 fix, or you can do it yourself. I did mine.

The drilled brake rotors are also reportedly more prone to cracking, although I've never seen one that has cracked. Mine still look great at 45k miles.

All the other things you mention apply to the S as well. Don't forget to include in your budget a "slush fund" for repairs. Buying one is just the first step. Then comes maintenance, and if you can't do some of it yourself, it will get expensive.

Good luck!

Perfectlap 07-18-2007 09:26 AM

the big problem with the S is that you develop heavy right foot syndrome. That's bad for fuel efficiency and tire longevity... so you'll end up having more fun and making more trips to the gas station and the tire rack.
To offset this expense I suggest investing in energy and tire stocks and getting a gas credit card that pays you back with free gas.

blue2000s 07-18-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
the big problem with the S is that you develop heavy right foot syndrome. That's bad for fuel efficiency and tire longevity... so you'll end up having more fun and making more trips to the gas station and the tire rack.
To offset this expense I suggest investing in energy and tire stocks and getting a gas credit card that pays you back with free gas.

This hits the nail on the head. I can't seem to top 22mpg on my 2000S. But I like to think of gasoline as the right kind of liquid entertainment.

Perfectlap 07-18-2007 11:11 AM

my car has never seen anything north of 20mpg mark.
Neither has it seen anything south of 93 octane. That's an expensive relationship!
Lucky for me its just a weekend driver.

Makes me wonder how much worse the situation would be if I had a 3.4 987S with GT3 seats. :cheers:

racer_d 07-18-2007 12:33 PM

Why an "S"? The usual "more power, better brakes and 3rd radiator and 6spd transmission?"

Just wanted to make sure you drove a regular one before discounting it. I love my non s (but sadly must sell it) and haven't found an "S" I can't run with, either on the track or off.

pteam 07-18-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

my car has never seen anything north of 20mpg mark.
Neither has it seen anything south of 93 octane. That's an expensive relationship!
Lucky for me its just a weekend driver.

Makes me wonder how much worse the situation would be if I had a 3.4 987S with GT3 seats. :cheers:

yea I fell ya perfectlap. the box S is actually the best gas milage car at 20-22mpg for me that I've had in yearssssssssssss. lol

the only relief is to invest in exxon and gas and energy mutual funds, that way when gas goes up you make money, its a small relief :cheers:

vipola 07-18-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nylart
I'm a long-time Porscheaholic and have decided that I need a boxster.

I like the way you 'need' a boxster :)

7th gear 07-18-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

how true...how true!!! i'm a weekend driver as well :D :D

SC986 07-18-2007 03:44 PM

Someone asked me when I first got the Boxster what kind of gas mileage do you get? Gee, don't know....still don't. Never checked it since it isn't the daily driver. I figure pumpimg Hi test it will take some of the fun out of it if I knew :D

Nylart it sounds like you were exactly where I was. Same years due to budget. I probably would have gone with a local non S but t had Grey interior which I didn;t want.

Mine had some paint issues, CV boots as mentioned, but I was able to get into a S as a result. I'm not sure if I would have been happy or disappointed with the non S. Never driven one.

Good luck with your search!

shelloiluk 07-18-2007 04:47 PM

non S

dont discount non S ijust got non S 2003 facelift
better than my A3/TT/E or Classes for takeoff...cheaper insurance, cheaper brakes,drilled units corrode more in winter, and im in lon 8/12 months cold/rain etc.
Non S late model,air induction,exhaust maybe. the S is god but not worth the xtra in my opinion and I could have got one, money is not the issue for me.

try a nice later model non s , see what u think, I've driven 3 of each before finally buying.

Perfectlap 07-18-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pteam
yea I fell ya perfectlap. the box S is actually the best gas milage car at 20-22mpg for me that I've had in yearssssssssssss. lol

the only relief is to invest in exxon and gas and energy mutual funds, that way when gas goes up you make money, its a small relief :cheers:

If I had a red 360 I would make it a point to try and obtain the worst possible gas mileage with each tank refil. You only live once!

p.s.
If you are in the limousine business doesn't it make sense to put some Hybrid engines in those Big Ass limos? They just keep getting bigger!! I mean, is anyone really hauling ass with 10-15 people on board? That's a ton of weight. $3-$4 gas in those tanks must bite into your profit margin big time!