Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to hk987
Help 987 owners, Questions on PASM/Traction Control

On the dashboard i see 2 buttons, one is "Sport mode" and the other "PASM off". i have trouble understanding what they both mean.

The dealer they told me "PASM off" means turning off the traction control. but on this forum i thought PASM was strictly related to the suspension /shock stiffness.
Unlike my 986, there is no "Traction Control" off button.

So if i am on the race track i should select "sport mode" and "PASM" on or off?

If i am at 1/4 mile track i dont want traction control boggin down the launch...what should i do?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #2

Then you should switch of PSM, not PASM.
Your dealer is a dope - he is confusig the traction control system, PSM, with the active suspension control, PASM.

Last edited by John Y; 07-16-2007 at 04:25 AM.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #3

Depending on options, you can have up to three buttons on the bottom of the center console. From right to left:

- PSM Off button
- Sport button
- PASM button

PSM Off

All 987 have a button in the lower-right corner of the console labeled "PSM Off"

"PSM" stands for "Porsche Stability Management"

This button turns off traction control. You will almost never use this button--only maybe if you're on a racetrack. Even so, if the car detects excessive wheelspin or what not, PSM will turn itself back on automatically.

Sport

If you have at least one of a certain number of options, you will have a button in the lower-left corner (to the right of the PASM button) labeled "Sport". This button is multi-function:

1. If you have Sport Chrono, it will switch to the aggressive throttle mode, give a hard rev limiter and change the PSM limits to allow a little more wheelspin/oversteer.

2. If you have PASM, it will put the shocks into the hard setting.

3. If you have the Sport Exhaust, it will put the exhaust in the "loud" mode. Unlike PASM, there is no seperate button for changing the sport exhaust's setting--it is only controlled through the "Sport" button.

PASM

"PASM" stands for "Porsche Active Suspension Management". They should have chosen something that wasn't so close to "PSM".

If you have PASM, you will have a button in the lower-left corner that has a shock absorber icon on it. This is the PASM button.

The PASM button puts PASM on the hard or soft setting. Most of the time you'll use it on the soft setting.

Now, in your case, at the track, you'd probably just put things in the Sport mode and leave it at that. You could also turn off PSM, but I've managed perfect launches in just the Sport mode. Try both out and see what results you get.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #4

Good stuff, eslai!

I might add...I was told that PSM actually stood for Please Save Me....it helps idiots drive a Porsche.....never turn it off!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #5

i turned the psm off in a 2.7 987 loaner and my gosh the back wheel fairly cracked the kerb when i give it a full launch....the back end certainly stepped out lol
deano_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #6

A very small percentage of track drivers should be turning off PSM. You would have to be an expert driver who is being 'held back' by the intervention of the system to turn it off. Leaving it on would be the smart thing to do.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im going to install those buttons on my 97 986 for placebo effect

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #8

I just realized today on my way to work that I left out one button on that row. There is actually one more button that is on all 987 in the lower left-hand corner--the spoiler button. Duh.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
A very small percentage of track drivers should be turning off PSM. You would have to be an expert driver who is being 'held back' by the intervention of the system to turn it off. Leaving it on would be the smart thing to do.
We were talking about driving school experiences here: Driving School Recommendations??
I was at the skidpad and the instructer turned it off. He told me he was doing it, but man, it was still spooky! I eventually learned to steer (he held the steering wheel) with just the throttle. Now, I won't drive with PSM off, but for that controlled experience, it was very educational.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Im going to install those buttons on my 97 986 for placebo effect
That's funny right there