986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Subwoofer Question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12187-subwoofer-question.html)

ezeks 07-14-2007 02:55 PM

Subwoofer Question

Quick audio question. Has anyone tried using one of the compact subwoofer enclosures under or behind the passenger seat? I know Kenwood, Blaupunkt, and JVC all make compact enclosures and this looks like the easiest way to get a little bottom end in sound in the car.

I know these enclosures don't offer the best sound but I don't want to go to the trouble of having a custom enclosure built.

smagerstein 07-17-2007 07:36 AM

Gday,

I recently finished having 2 subs installed behind the drivers and passengers seats. 8inch (not sure of brand...followed installers recomendation) housed in custom moulded fibreglass enclosures, then covered in light grey carpet that matched my interior trim. you hardly notice they are physically there but give a much improved mid range. I also replaced the existing 6 speakers (4 in dash and 2 in doors) with some much better alpine ones and also had a second amp installed up front to drive the subs.

Sound quality has increased 100% but they say to get the most add the rear speaker kit.

The all up cost of this was around 600 euro (not sure what this is in US$) and well worth it.

I will post some pics this week for those that may be interested in what it looks like.

I did loose around 3 cm of seat slideing space but didnt affect my seating position at all. I am 5.10.

Caio
Steven.

insite 07-17-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezeks
Quick audio question. Has anyone tried using one of the compact subwoofer enclosures under or behind the passenger seat? I know Kenwood, Blaupunkt, and JVC all make compact enclosures and this looks like the easiest way to get a little bottom end in sound in the car.

I know these enclosures don't offer the best sound but I don't want to go to the trouble of having a custom enclosure built.

i have a clarion powered sub behind my passenger seat. it works great with the top up, but fades out at speed with the top down. PM me if you want to buy it; i'm going to upgrade to an 8" in the footwell.

FrayAdjacent 07-17-2007 11:04 AM

I'd be interested in seeing how that Clarion unit fits in there... does it fit actually under the passenger seat? Or do you have to stand it up behind the passenger seat?

My head unit has a sub out... it would be easy to set one of those up in my car. Might be something I'd consider.

insite 07-17-2007 12:27 PM

it doesn't fit under the seat. it sits behind the passenger seat and takes away maybe 3" of seat track. if, like me, your primary passenger is a female (and not Viking or something like that), passengers are plenty comfortable. it only gets tight when they get above about 6'-2".

as for sound, i run a 6-3/4" mid-bass woofer in each door and the clarion still adds a LOT to the sound.

FrayAdjacent 07-17-2007 03:40 PM

Hmm... I wonder what the largest (thickest) object that would actually fit UNDER the seat would be. I know there's not a lot of room....

I'm thinking about maybe trying a Blaupunkt THb 200A. It's an 8" woofer at 75W (150 peak), and it's 3 3/8" thick. I'm also wondering... would something like that fit in the rear (behind the roll bars) storage box? I have the storage box, but don't really have anything in it.

I might take to measuring in there... see if I could fit a powered sub up in there.

Silverbird 02-17-2008 02:39 AM

Just resurrecting an old thread, has anyone had any luck putting the thb 200a (or another compact enclosure) in the rear storage box?

I'm looking to upgrade and am a bit hesitant to remove any of the rather limited seat travel by installing a sub beehind the seat.

Gary in BR 02-17-2008 05:56 AM

I would think in theory one of the pre packaged low profile sub enclosures should work in the rear shelf. It may be worth picking one up from ebay and seeing what happens.

A separate sub out on the head unit would make this setup better, if the sound becomes too boomy because the sub it is right by your ears adjusting the power down would be helpful,

bmx672 02-17-2008 11:11 AM

Insite...
Is your sub a plug and play into your head unit? I mean does it have it's own power via the cable from the head unit? I think your set-up is exactly what I want to do. I've been going over this for a year now and I want to keep it simple.
Has anyone tried the BOSS 8" compact subs on ebay? They are around $100. They would have to be powered though.
I'm SO bad at stereos...