Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #1

Car won't start.. HELP!!

This is a 2002 Boxster S
Car doesn't even crank. Battery is fine. I push the clutch pedal all the way down and I do hear the click that the clutch switch is engaged, so I've narrowed it down to:

-Ignition switch
-Starter
-Faulty clutch interlock switch

I don't know too much about cars, so any help is more than welcome

bronxballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #2

You'll get better help here than from me, but I was wondering how you ruled out the battery. I've had batteries that had enough power for lights and to click the starter solenoid, but not enough to turn the engine over. Can you describe how you checked the battery?

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #3

AAA guy came with his battery jumper tool, he hooked it up and still nothing happened. I did first think it was the battery also(wishful thinking). I replaced the battery 6months ago as well.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #4

Sounds like it could be a bad starter or bad solenoid. Most likely the starter. I was thinking the altenator too, but since your battery is not dead, then it should be fine.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #5

Is there anyway to check to make sure it is actually a bad starter before I go ahead and buy one.
I mean it's all out of no where this happened. No rain, no noises, no problems beforehand...
Old 07-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #6

You could jack the car up, disconnect the leads to the starter, and jump it directly to a battery. If it turns, the starter is good.

It could also be the security unit. Has it rained there recently? Is it wet under your driver's seat? Mine got wet, and everything worked, but the starter wouldn't engage. Dried it out, and it's worked ever since.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

were you having problems starting the car in the last few weeks? if so, did it take a few cranks to start the car? Starters very rarely die suddenly.

porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote