Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #1

muffler swap advice

Picked up an '02 "S" exhaust (for $50!) that I'd like to swap out with my stock exhaust I have on my 2000 Boxster. Do I need to take off the bumper or can I just roll the car back on some ramps, slide under, and do it from underneath. Any advice appreciated! I'm planning on doing it in the next day or 2.

Thanks!

Ron

986_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_Ron
Picked up an '02 "S" exhaust (for $50!) that I'd like to swap out with my stock exhaust I have on my 2000 Boxster. Do I need to take off the bumper or can I just roll the car back on some ramps, slide under, and do it from underneath. Any advice appreciated! I'm planning on doing it in the next day or 2.

Thanks!

Ron

Hey Ron, you can do it without removing the bumper, though it will be much easier to do it if you remove the bumper.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
As chaudanova says, you can do it without removing the bumper, but it is just a little harder to reach the upper mounting bolts on your exhaust if you don't remove the bumper, but you can still do it by blindly reaching for the bolts from underneath. Just so you know though, the 02 Boxster S exhaust is no different from your 00 base exhaust. The only difference is the dual tip vs. the single oval tip that is welded to the muffler. The sound is exactly the same, so don't expect any sound improvement. If, however, you bought the 2003+ exhaust, there is a noticeable improvement in the exhaust, as they changed the exhaust tone in 03 to give more growl.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #4

I've now done this both ways, and to minimize the amount of cursing, especially when working with the full size stock exhausts, I would never do this again without pulling the bumper. Its not AS bad with aftermarket exhausts, as most are less bulky and easier to work around blindly, but with stock I would ONLY pull the bumper.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #5

Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to just pull the bumper, found a post that describes how to do it and it doesn't look too hard to do. Just changing this out for aesthetics. I've always liked the dual exhaust look versus the single oval type...

986_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote