986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Saying bye to Boxster :( (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12114-saying-bye-boxster.html)

djomlas 07-10-2007 01:56 PM

yeah, i dont think ill ever lease a car, BUT
in about a year or so im getting the same car, in orange ;)

JP-s-in st. louis 07-10-2007 02:03 PM

Not thinkiing about a Elise maybe a GT3 is more in line of what I am thinking. I need the space for my dog. They are very hot cars!

Oh yea and I live in Seattle now but a trip back home would be nice! :cheers:

blinkwatt 07-10-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
SOME AFTERMARKET SITES: Sector111.com is great. There are tons of exhausts including 2bular, arqray, larini, quiksilver, forcedfed, etc.

Just when I thought exhaust don't get much more expensive then Boxsters.

pteam 07-10-2007 02:06 PM

Bravarian,

Good for you. Great choice in car. IMO it is better than the boxster. Yea the boxster is a better everyday car but if you wanted an everyday car then neither is a good choice go look at a camry. lol

Who cares if a car is hard to get into! Its the thrill of driving, the lotus is a rare car that people will oooh and awww about, and a great choice. I wouldnt get rid of my lamborghini cause its hard to get into and has a hard suspension and takes bumps real hard, thats not what its made for ;)

porsche986spyder 07-10-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
How do you "trade in" a leased car for another leased car? Sounds like losing money twice.

What about the mods you did?

That's because Daddy is helping him get it. Ask him how old he is and what he does for a living. Sorry, no offence Bavarian. ;)

Bavarian Motorist 07-10-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
That's because Daddy is helping him get it. Ask him how old he is and what he does for a living. Sorry, no offence Bavarian. ;)

I'm sorry, but... how do you know this?

I have my own web development company that is a partnership with my two friends. It is a registered partnership in Nassau county. www.activtecsolutions.com

What do you do?

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we all mind our personal business instead of caring about others' so as to not look like an ass wipe? Oh, how well that works...

----------------------------------------------

Bmussatti:

When you get rid of a lease, you are liable for the entire lease. So if I have 30months left and pay 500 a month, I am liable for $15k to get rid of the lease.

That would mean I'm losing $15k if I did that...but those are example #s.

So in this instance, I decided to buy the entire car. That means remaining lease payments plus remaining value of vehicle, and trade it in. That would be substantially less than what is left on the lease.. In this case, around $4k difference, which is likely what I would have to pay anyhow due to high mileage.

The bad part is you have to pay sales tax again. The GOOD news is that I don't have to pay sales tax on the car I am trading it for.

However, I'm not dealing with that part. I give it to the dealer with the pay-off amount and tell them to have fun. That's the great thing about dealers. They do the annoying stuff.

They only valued my car at around $35k. In NC they valued it at $38k.

Jeph 07-10-2007 03:47 PM

Nice choice. If I could fit in one, I'd do the same.

I saw one at the body shop where I got my conversion done...
http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986-elise.jpg
Those tires look mean.

xclusivecar 07-10-2007 04:10 PM

Traded my Elise for a Box.

A couple of tips:

1) Wash the car with the nose pointing DOWN the driveway! Or lots of water will pool in the rear trunk.

2) Make sure you get some kind of paint protection like the 3M clear stuff. After ten minutes of driving the car will be specked with paint chips especially on the rear quarters from rocks from the front wheels.

3) The heat and AC suck so top off motoring on some of the cooler days will be out. Get handy with putting on the top quickly as it can be a pain in the ass in an unexpected downpour.

4) Be prepared to ALWAYS keep the car above 6500 rpm as the car seems to go nowhere under this. But once over 6500...watch out!!!!

5) Because it is a true track car you will hear EVERYTHING rattling and snapping and shaking, and you will FEEL everything. No...the car is not falling apart...it just sounds/feels like it.

Thats all I can think of now since having mine for just over a year. I had expected to use it as a car for the street and never on the track. Unfortunately I was dissapointed since I could never fully use the car as intended. Although the COOL factor was definitely there! Good luck and congrats! :cheers:

blkboxster 07-10-2007 04:25 PM

I have my own web development company that is a partnership with my two friends. It is a registered partnership in Nassau county. www.activtecsolutions.com

lol, it looks like someone needs to help you out with your own website :D

Bavarian Motorist 07-11-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Traded my Elise for a Box.

A couple of tips:

1) Wash the car with the nose pointing DOWN the driveway! Or lots of water will pool in the rear trunk.

2) Make sure you get some kind of paint protection like the 3M clear stuff. After ten minutes of driving the car will be specked with paint chips especially on the rear quarters from rocks from the front wheels.

3) The heat and AC suck so top off motoring on some of the cooler days will be out. Get handy with putting on the top quickly as it can be a pain in the ass in an unexpected downpour.

4) Be prepared to ALWAYS keep the car above 6500 rpm as the car seems to go nowhere under this. But once over 6500...watch out!!!!

5) Because it is a true track car you will hear EVERYTHING rattling and snapping and shaking, and you will FEEL everything. No...the car is not falling apart...it just sounds/feels like it.

Thats all I can think of now since having mine for just over a year. I had expected to use it as a car for the street and never on the track. Unfortunately I was dissapointed since I could never fully use the car as intended. Although the COOL factor was definitely there! Good luck and congrats! :cheers:

Thanks for the tips. This example does have the starshield.

I have to be extra careful about how I drive it, how I park it, how I go over bumps, etc. I realize this and accept it fully.

porsche986spyder 07-11-2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

"That's because Daddy is helping him get it. Ask him how old he is and what he does for a living. Sorry, no offence Bavarian. "

What do you do?

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we all mind our personal business instead of caring about others' so as to not look like an ass wipe? Oh, how well that works...
End Quote:

There is no need for name calling. Your right, but I was only making an observation. your profile says you are under 21 and you did not list any type of occupation. I'm a Senoir Art Director for a well known Nascar sponsor. Let me know if you want some help with that web site. ;) You also mentioned that your dad was going to take the car off your hands until next year if you opted for an 08 Lotus, which led me to believe he was taking over your payments since you said that you were leasing the Boxster. I could only guess that the lease agreement does not end until some time next year. :rolleyes:

Bavarian Motorist 07-11-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"That's because Daddy is helping him get it. Ask him how old he is and what he does for a living. Sorry, no offence Bavarian. "

What do you do?

End Quote:

There is no need for name calling. Your right, but I was only making an observation. your profile says you are under 21 and you did not list any type of occupation. I'm a Senoir Art Director for a well known Nascar sponsor. Let me know if you want some help with that web site. ;) You also mentioned that your dad was going to take the car off your hands until next year if you opted for an 08 Lotus, which led me to believe he was taking over your payments since you said that you were leasing the Boxster. I could only guess that the lease agreement does not end until some time next year. :rolleyes:

1) I appreciate being asked as opposed to being accused

2) If you must know, my parents do help. That doesn't mean I don't do anything at all, which is what got me.

3) Why would I need help with my website? My programming expertise are far and beyond any of the lousy web-dev companies I've seen.

Brucelee 07-11-2007 08:02 AM

Guys, there is NO need for name calling.

Congrats on the new car, looks very very cool.

Enjoy! :)

pteam 07-11-2007 09:09 AM

Well I just changed my age from the category "21-26" to "27-37". I will be 27 in a few months and I don't want people to think I'm 21 or 22 and have daddy pay for my stuff. I've made every dollar I have and my dad worked a Heinens grocery store for 28 years and is retired now. :)

The funny thing is when I was 21 or 22 I had a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster and I look young for my age, so does my brother, and everywhere I went with that thing sadly people would ask me if it was my daddys car.

porscheracer 07-11-2007 12:00 PM

I saw a couple of elise at Limerock park ALMS last Saturday..its a nice street legal go kart...no offense but its no match against a mini... :D

blkboxster 07-11-2007 12:23 PM

3) Why would I need help with my website? My programming expertise are far and beyond any of the lousy web-dev companies I've seen.[/QUOTE]

cuz, it looks like crap, LOL JK

Perfectlap 07-11-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pteam
Well I just changed my age from the category "21-26" to "27-37". I will be 27 in a few months and I don't want people to think I'm 21 or 22 and have daddy pay for my stuff. I've made every dollar I have and my dad worked a Heinens grocery store for 28 years and is retired now. :)

The funny thing is when I was 21 or 22 I had a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster and I look young for my age, so does my brother, and everywhere I went with that thing sadly people would ask me if it was my daddys car.

good for you man. Wish I had half the knowledge/ambition that I have now back 10 years ago. but i'm on my way. Just received my social security statement. Says if I became disabled at the age of 33 I'd still get a nice $4K a month check! That means I've paid ALLOT of capital gains taxes!!

xxxalexxxx 07-11-2007 12:59 PM

congrads on the car man, i love the Elise, its a really cool rare car. my uncle owns one and ive driven it but i wouldnt consider buying one cuz im 6'4 and its a tight ride for me haha ( the boxters not that much better) but i gotta have a conv't :-)

and dont worry about people being asses to u because ur young and u drive a nice car and might have money. theyre just jelaous. I'm 23 and i get the same thing all the time even though even tho i have a grad degree and i went to school and busted my ass for yrs to do the job i do and make the money i make. My gf is 21 and owns two business and she gets even more crap because people dont believe her that she could be so young and run two operations.
on the other hand even if ur parents help out who cares, they're family and when i have kids they wont be driving around in geo metros. (u give ur kids the best u can give them)

good luck with the car and enjoy it

IowaS 07-11-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
good for you man. Wish I had half the knowledge/ambition that I have now back 10 years ago. but i'm on my way. Just received my social security statement. Says if I became disabled at the age of 33 I'd still get a nice $4K a month check! That means I've paid ALLOT of capital gains taxes!!

ditto on this Pteam....no need to apologize for your success...

blkboxster 07-11-2007 01:27 PM

Hey i didn't want to seem like a **************************** :mad: sorry, i have the same issues ,my self im 22 :D