986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Less than one week old and this happens (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/12106-less-than-one-week-old-happens.html)

cbenitah 07-09-2007 10:47 PM

Less than one week old and this happens

Needed to move one of my cars today and had to let my roommate drive my boxster.. told him several times to be careful etc etc.. We drove for maybe 10min and he parks the car to wait for me.. Drive by him and notice that my car is scary close to the curb.

And yepp.. 50% of my 4 day old wheel is scratched against the curb..

Anyone know where they fix this? Its not super bad more surface scratch, but bugs the H*&^ out of me..

Hope you guys had a better night

rick3000 07-09-2007 11:23 PM

Check Out this Link:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm

Hope this Helps! :D

blinkwatt 07-09-2007 11:28 PM

http://fixrim.com/

porschedude 07-10-2007 07:06 AM

Wheel repair is quite easy or you can get it done at any shop for $100-150. Don't worry, it will look brand new again.

pteam 07-10-2007 07:45 AM

make your friend pay for the repair.

RandallNeighbour 07-10-2007 07:50 AM

I let one of my best friends drive my boxster a week after I got it and he backed into a curb and badly scraped one of my wheels. Fortunately, the wheels were non-Porsche crappy heavy aftermarket wheels and I wasn't concerned because they'd be replaced soon enough.

However, I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never let anyone drive your car unless they can prove two things to you in advance:

1. They know how to safely drive a Porsche (gear changes, brakes, wary of curbs and other obstacles, etc.)
2. They have the financial means AND personal desire to immediately pay for any damage they cause while driving your Porsche, avoiding a claim on your insurance policy if at all possible.

A few months ago, an older, wiser and very cautious friend of mine went out for a drive with me and I eliminated the curb rash issue by allowing him to drive it in the country where the roads have no curbs. He actually told me he'd repair any damage he might cause, and I know he has the money. However, he missed a shift and hit 3rd when he should have hit 5th and bounced it off the rev-limiter. At least it wasn't a missed downshift, which would have caused catastrophic damage.

Today, I'm thinking I will not let anyone else drive my car, even thought it's about to turn 11 years old and is only worth about 12k. I can't afford to replace it, and to tell you the truth, my friends and family don't have a friggin' clue as to how to drive a Porsche and I am not about to let them learn on my car.

Ronzi 07-10-2007 08:30 AM

My viewpoint is that if person X asks to borrow your car, asks to drive it, etc., that person is assuming responsibility for any subsequent damage and you are justified in requesting that they at least share in the expense of repair.
If, on the other hand, you allow or request that other person to drive your car for your own reasons, maybe convenience, maybe "see how you like it", etc., then as the incautious owner you are stuck with the results of your decision.
Not being a lawyer, I have no idea how this squares with the legalities of the situation, it's just my opinion.

vipola 07-12-2007 09:15 AM

Way to drive a porsche

Your comment is interesting, but it make me asking myself. I own a boxster for a month now, and it's my first porsche. I do all I can to be gentle with it, keeping it away from curbs, etc. Shifting gently and not over-rev it, not downshifting for nothing. always let the engine warm up before goign hard on throttle, etc.

But is there a Special way to drive a porsche? thing to absolutely NOT do or things to DO ?

I'm open to any suggestion that will make my car happy ;)

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Today, I'm thinking I will not let anyone else drive my car, even thought it's about to turn 11 years old and is only worth about 12k. I can't afford to replace it, and to tell you the truth, my friends and family don't have a friggin' clue as to how to drive a Porsche and I am not about to let them learn on my car.

OldBlevins 07-12-2007 10:06 AM

I've driven stick-shifts all my life (I'm 55) and I was taught to generally keep them between about 2k and 3k rpm. I have concluded this is NOT the way to drive my Boxster. I've had to get a little more accustomed to winding it out, though I rarely take it past 5K.

Turns and curves seem to be a lot more fun to take without bothering to brake.

On a recent 2500 mile road-trip to CA, we pushed it pretty hard and it brought us home happily purring as it has since we got it 3 months ago. So I've concluded it's generally designed to drive reasonably spiritedly.

But the biggest adjustment I've had to make is in avoiding tickets. The cops seem to pay a lot of attention to these cars!

- Jim

deano_123 07-12-2007 10:16 AM

sorry but thats complete bollocks, the car was made to be driven and thats what i do with mine. it hits the limiter at just about every change and always will. for the money iv paid i expect to have some fun in it not drive round in a bubble

RandallNeighbour 07-12-2007 10:36 AM

I think I'm squarely between the last two posting members in my attitude about the boxster.

The variocam on 986's kicks in at 4200 rpm. Pushing the engine over this rpm each time you drive it is a good idea to simply give the motor the workout it requires to "stay limber" so to speak.

I take mine right up to redline, but I do not redline it and bounce it off the revlimiter where it shuts half of the cylinders down to prevent catastrophic loss. That has happened accidentally to me twice and I was very upset with myself for doing it.

Every time you bounce it off the revlimiter and it shuts down part of the engine to save it, it records this in the ECU and it cannot be removed. So not doing it is good for anyone who plans to sell their car to someone with brains who looks at these kinds of numbers prior to purchase.

There is nothing wrong with driving the car hard though. The engine was designed to be wound up tight to redline gear after gear. Conversely, it was not designed to be driven like it was stolen each and every day or the motor will crap out on you much sonner than later, not to mention many other parts of the transmission, brakes and suspension.

I tend to shift at 4-5.5k most days I drive the car. When I'm out for a real "driving time" in the country, I will push it to 6.5k because I love the sound of the engine and che's headers and exhaust.

deano_123 07-12-2007 10:44 AM

oh id never bounce it off the limiter ill change at the redline. ive driven all my cars this way elises, civics, rallyes etc and never had any problems just got the maximum out of the engine

cbenitah 07-12-2007 10:58 AM

I also drive it as it was made to be driven.. but not over the top (stoplight full stop, full stop) I too happened to bounce it off the limit once, but it was b/c I missed 2nd. Oh well.. Once twice won't kill the engine, but every day, ouch.. Poor car

vipola 07-12-2007 11:16 AM

Okay but, except the RPM to Shift, is there other (less obvious/personal) thing to know or keep in mind ?

pteam 07-12-2007 12:49 PM

90% of my cars have been stick. I actually perfer the tiptronic or even more the F1 trans in the ferraris. I wanted E-gear in my lambo but couldnt find one at the time.

you can just floor it at a stop light
don't worry about feathering the clutch, or dumping the clutch too much and wearing it out to much
dont worry about missing a shift
dont worry about shifting at redling it will do it for you, right at redline
dont worry about shifting a half second too late and hitting the rev limiter
if you do talk on a cell phone , its one less thing to do while driving (shifting)

Honestly my starts from a stoplight are faster with tiptronic or F1. I will not drop clutch launch an expensive car. I don't floor it in my lambo until its into gear clutch released. With an F1/tip you don't have to worry about that, just floor it, dont ever worry in the back of your mind you might fry the clutch. Plus you can let your girlfriend/wife/whoever drive it if you choose to let them.

Also remember newer versions of F1 and E-gear shift faster than a race car driver 100-150 milliseconds, even if you can shift somewhat close to that fast, will you mess up 1 out of 50 times? Can you shift it that fast everytime?

Also the new 911 turbo is FASTER as a tiptronic by .2 seconds I belive 0-60 because the new tip shifts so fast the turbos stay spooled up. Even motor trend professional testers could not beat the new 911 turbo tipronic's time in the manual stick version.

OldBlevins 07-13-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The variocam on 986's kicks in at 4200 rpm. Pushing the engine over this rpm each time you drive it is a good idea to simply give the motor the workout it requires to "stay limber" so to speak.

That's Highly Useful info - thanks!