Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #1

Front Trunk Light

I've noticed something odd about the operation of the light in my front trunk.

At first I thought it just worked erratically, but know I've noticed a pattern. When I return from a drive and open the front trunk, the light turns on. However if I open the trunk before I go for drive, the light doesn't turn on. No amount of fiddling with the latch seems to change this pattern.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there something wrong with my car, or is this some kind of German engineering quirk like their aversion to decent cupholders?

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #2

hmm, i replaced my front trunk light few months ago and saw that it didn't come on few days ago. i thought it was burnt bulb but maybe it's the same operating issue you just mentioned. i'll check if my lights are operating as you described.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

As I recall you have to stick your finger really far into the latch hole over towards the driver's side to reach the lever/button that turns the light on and off.
Wiggle it back and forth to see if you can make the light come on (or go off).
I think you could also take the plastic cover off for better access.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

What month was your 2000 built?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
boggtown

Wow TP, I hope your going somewhere with that, lol. What if he says May? Would you be like... thats cool. lol. I need to do that sometime, thats hilarious. Kinda like asking if the car was built on a friday cause they wanted to get done quick and leave for home, lol.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #6

The latch has a microswitch for the trunk light and alarm.

The original switch would stick.

During model year 2000 production Porsche changed the design of the switch. Old switch had a yellow paint dot and new version switch a blue dot. The TSB for said switch tells you which month of 2000 said new version of the switch went into production.

But I do not know which month his 2000 was built.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
What month was your 2000 built?
I'll have to check in the morning. The original owner bought it in November 1999 - if that helps.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #8

I found a service receipt that showed the production date as 9-11-99. The car will be celebrating it's 8th birthday soon.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #9

New design switch went into production in mid February 2000, so your car was built before the new design switch went into production.

Next time the front trunk does not work open the rear trunk with the remote. If the front trunk light then goes on then your switch is acting up.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #10

Thanks for the tip.

I'm thinking that the vibration from driving is shaking the switch allowing it to operate after a drive. It might also be that I have opened the rear trunk already since I tend to use the rear trunk first and put the overflow in the front.

Is there a fix other than replacing the switch?
Any idea of cost to replace?

I'm thinking that it is not worth a huge investment, but I am kind of particular about the car and might fix it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #11

If you open the rear trunk the front trunk light is supposed to go on even if the front trunk has not been opened.

But do the test to see if it is the front switch. You can also close the latch with a screwdriver, then open the latch with the door sill lever, a bunch of times, and see if that brings the switch back to life. That is what I do when we work on a car and I notice the switch is not working all the time.

If it is the switch then most people replace it. It is expensive. I have not tried to clean the contacts, so I do not know if this can be done. Dealer with try to sell you the latch as the switch is included when you buy the latch. But you can buy just the switch.

Pictures and instructions are on Renntech.

See boggtown. My 8 years of Boxstir education may not have gone down the drain after all....
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #12

I have a 99' and had as similar problem with the front hood/trunk light. I sprayed a liberal amount of wd-40, like a 3-5 second shot down the hole where the latch is, and that fixed it. I did it probably about 2 years ago and it's worked fine ever since.

HTH,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #13

Thanks for all the information. I'll take a look at it on Saturday and see whether I can get it working.