Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RAF15M
Pantera vs. Boxster

I saw this 70s Pantera for sale, just wondering what are the differences, positive and negative. If you were to pick between a 05 Boxster vs 70s'Pantera, which would you pick and why?

RAF15M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF15M
I saw this 70s Pantera for sale, just wondering what are the differences, positive and negative. If you were to pick between a 05 Boxster vs 70s'Pantera, which would you pick and why?
I have a friend who has a Pantera and it is almost always on jackstands in his garage. Parts are not that easy to come by and generally expensive when you can find them. Better to get 2 so you have a supply of parts.

Buy the Boxster and you'll be driving around town every day with a smile on your face.

Pantera's are cool cars, no doubt about it but it won't be something you can drive every day in my opinion.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #3

Do you have any idea how many problems you'll have with a 35+ year old car
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #4

A good friend of mine has a Pantera too. Its probably not fair to compare the two cars. His just finished a major engine rebuild and runs and sounds like a million bucks now. It also draws a lot of attention, way more than my 986 (he has a 944 also) since more then a few people will mistake it for a classic Lambo or Ferrari.

The Boxster is a matter of fact a much better car, it rides better, it drives better, . . but hey it has 30-35 years of technology going for it.

On the other hand, if your the kind of guy who really likes working on cars, the Pantera might be a better choice. My friend doesn’t ever really seem to have too hard a time finding parts, but hes got money to spend so he doesn’t always look at the cost of things. In general, the drive train components can be found in just about any Mustang parts catalog since it has (should have ) the Ford 351 Cleveland engine and a ZF transmission. If you need engine work you can take it to most race shops the good 'ol boys take their muscle cars to.

I spent a few days helping him remove the engine and trany a while back and got a crash course in Panteras in the process. I basically knew nothing about them going in. Pretty cool cars. He has his tuned north of 500 HP. These cars are probable decent investments too, certainly way better than a Boxster. With the ridiculous up swing in price of the classic muscle cars, a lot of people think the Panteras and such are a logical next hot thing mainly due to the 351 Cleveland under the hood, or ahh rear deck lid.

Last edited by QporscheQ; 07-08-2007 at 08:12 PM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I have always wanted a Pantera. I did a lot of research on it for several years and it was a thought last year when I decided to buy my Boxster. The reality is that parts are not that expensive and hard to find. The parts are still made by de Tomaso and can be had for a reasonable price. QPorscheQ is right on about the transmission and engine. Engine and tranny parts and repairs are easy to find and not astronomically expensive. I gave it some serious thought as I located one in Fort Lauderdale that seemed to be in great shape. The problem with these cars are rust and one could easily spend $25 to $30k on what seems to be a deal. Unfortunately many of these cars will or eventually need a frame off restoration and that is not cheap. The really nice ones that have had this work done and have been fully restored will go for at least $50 to $60k. If you are planning on going for a fully restored car then that is the way to go as far as an investment is concerned. If you are looking for a functional daily driver with all of the modern amenities that you can enjoy with the top down then go for the Boxster.

One thing about the Pantera is that you have got to experience that type of power coming from behind your seat. It is a pretty amazing machine and a lot of people don't know this but the Pantera was also designed by Marcello Gandini who is famous for some of the most memorable Ferraris and Lamborghinis that trade for 6 figure and up prices today.

Last edited by ultimate1; 07-08-2007 at 08:36 PM.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #6

Smile

Very different cars. I love the Pantera but would not consider it a daily driver, rather a weekend show and conversation piece.

Most have gobs of power and torque and they look awesome to boot.

Good stuff.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #7

+1 on the Apples/ Oranges comment.

I think your situation will dictate the best bet for you. For my budget, I think the Box can't be beat. My one car does it all (plus my wife's car when I need to haul things). You might be in a different place in life though. With a few extra million in the bank, I would probably drive a V8 E Class daily + have something like the Pantera (probably a 935?) in the garage for weekends and PCA events.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote