986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   question about buying used boxsters (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/1206-question-about-buying-used-boxsters.html)

chickadee 07-11-2004 05:02 AM

question about buying used boxsters

I understand that Porsches were designed for, and can withstand extreme driving conditions, but would anyone here have reservations about buying a used Porsche? Why or why not?

Just curious...not looking for one myself :)

JonnyBGood 07-11-2004 07:33 AM

I bought a used one. It was a 2000 and I bought it in 2003. I got it for 1/2 of new and it was in wonderful condition. I certainly think that its fine to buy a used one :)

Stryke 07-11-2004 09:49 AM

I got mine used and paid top dollar as far as the market was at the time only because I was picky about my color, options and got it with 16,000 miles. :)

I only have 19,000 miles on it now and have spent another $10,000 making it unique. :)

Tool Pants 07-11-2004 10:20 AM

The market has sure changed.

Five years ago I bought a used 1997. There was no 2.7/3.2 back then.

I paid $4k more for a 2 year old car than the car cost new. Back then if you ordered a new car it took almost a year to get it.

Dealer are not supposed to sell new cars over suggested retail. So they would put 300 miles on a new car, title it so it would be consider used, and try to sell it for $10k over.

I got a good deal back then. Now, it is a crazy deal.

JonnyBGood 07-11-2004 01:49 PM

TP,

Ouch! I guess it is just what the market will bear. I'm sure that you're happy with the car though and that is what is most important.

If it helps, I got a tremendous deal on the car. I got it at an dealer's auction.

Stryke 07-11-2004 03:46 PM

Manheim, PA?

Ronzi 07-13-2004 09:46 AM

The only difference in buying a used Porsche vs. any other used car is that if you make a mistake and get a "bad" one, you can be in deep doo-doo money-wise in putting it right. Even that is no different that buying a bad Benz or BMW.
Probably the sole difference in a used Porsche is the possibility of getting hold of a car that has been lashed around a race track. There is a reason for the viewpoint that next to war, racing is the hardest use that you can subject a mechanical device to.

selbox 07-16-2004 07:06 AM

Just bought a '99 - found it on ebay. But I called the seller and asked a lot of questions. Also called my local Porsche dealer and had him run the VIN through their computers. He told me all the warranty work that was done on it and the factory options. Got it checked out by a mechanic as well to calm my nerves. Then had a great time driving it back from Phoenix to CA!

Subanez 07-17-2004 02:44 AM

If you can get your hands on the car's history, and have it checked out by auto critics or a third party business that inspects cars, go fot it. Be careful, though! Many garages or dealerships that would inspect your car are often looking for things to fix so that they can make money, so be wise with what they tell you.

If she's clean and runnin' smooth, a used porsche is everybit as great as a new one.

Brucelee 07-17-2004 07:48 AM

I buy and sell Boxsters for a living. I would be happy to chat with you about the pros and cons.

Feel free to send me your phone number.

rrbelloff@cs.com