Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #1

Unhappy Gearbox - Starting at 1st Gear

1999 Boxster S with Tips
I have owned the car for nearly 3 months. Everything is normal. One day, I started my car in the morning found that the 4th gear light is flashing for few seconds and stay at normal thereafter. Keep driving, the car is running good, so I ignore it.

After few weeks normal driving with no flashing 4th gear light. Unfortunately, it did flashing yesterday for 2-3 seconds and stay at normal thereafter. The car is still running good.

But, the car is staring from 1st gear (Normal at 2nd) when I shift the gear from N to D. However, I press on Break Pedal for 5 seconds, the gear will shift to 2nd automatically. Keep driving, stop at traffic light, the gear will downshift to 2nd as normal.

At the traffic light, try to manual shift to N and back to D, still start at 1st gear.....

Is it something wrong? Gearbox problem? Gearbox computer unit problem?

Please help.

masiuwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #2

I had a very similar problem that was diagnosed as a faulty multi-function switch in the transmission. Now runs sweet as a nut, but I have noticed that is still starts in 1st and will change to 2nd after a short delay footbrake on or off. Whether that is correct or not I don't know, but it happens every single time so it seems to be on purpose.
Apart from the Porsche main dealer taking 3 days salary for a 3 hour job I'm really pleased with the work.
Sir_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
blkboxster

[QUOTE=masiuwai]1999 Boxster S with Tips

how is it a S??
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #4

[QUOTE=blkboxster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masiuwai
1999 Boxster S with Tips

how is it a S??

Yes, it is Boxster S. The VIN code has Y which is model 2000. But, the manufacturing year is 1999.

Dear Sir-Ben,

How much did you pay for the repairing? Under warranty? Is the parts expensive?
I have the exact problem. It changes to 2nd gear with short delay. However, it runs sweet.

Anyone has idea on the price of the parts? Difficult to change? Location and etc?

Thanks for your help.
masiuwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #5

"Dear Sir-Ben,

How much did you pay for the repairing? Under warranty? Is the parts expensive?
I have the exact problem. It changes to 2nd gear with short delay. However, it runs sweet.

Anyone has idea on the price of the parts? Difficult to change? Location and etc?

Thanks for your help."

The part ref is P986.325.612.01 007227/SWITCH
There was also a nut, a locking bolt and a washer and the parts total was just short of 165 GB Pounds. 3 hours Labour at 105 GB Pounds per hour and VAT of 17.5% made a total of nearly 565 GB Pounds.
Difficult to change? No Idea - I've never even tried to get into the engine bay!!

Good Luck

Sir_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote