986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   front license plate--my poor boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/1203-front-license-plate-my-poor-boxster.html)

chickadee 07-08-2004 12:06 PM

front license plate--my poor boxster

OK, admittedly this isn't a matter of life and death, but I am moving to Texas and really can't stand the thought of ruining the front of my car with a license plate!

For those of you living in states requiring the front plate--what are your experiences with just "forgetting :)" to put the plate on? Am I just asking for it?

Ronzi 07-08-2004 12:16 PM

Depends on the state, I suppose. My state (Colo.) requires a front plate, but I had a Chevy S10 pickup that had a ground effects kit on it and no front plate bracket at all. I drove that PU for about 7 or 8 yrs without a front plate and never had a problem.
On the other hand, if a cop is looking for an excuse to bust you, not having a required plate is an easy one.
Just remember, Texas executes more criminals than any other state in the union.

QporscheQ 07-08-2004 01:41 PM

I live in Missouri, and we are required to have front plates. However, mine spends all of its time on the floor of the passenger seat. When I drive through the "cruising" parts of town I usually throw it up on the dashboard because the cops like to hassle people about it every once in a while.

A very good friend of mine was recently pulled over for not having a license plate on the front of his 350Z. I think the fine was around $50. He was pissed. FYI: this guy is about 40 years old so don’t think the cop pulled him over just because he was some punk kid with a hot car. Seems like a total waste of police time and assets IMO.

Adam 07-08-2004 06:16 PM

Don't do it!! It doesn't look good and messes up the fine fine face of the boxster. I have put almost 8k miles on my cop attracting guards red 03 S driving in and around my small town of 20,000 people. There is a cop on nearly every block due the fact that we have city, county, university, and state cops trolling around. I live in IL which is two plate plus I'm 24 and I have never gotten pulled over for not having my front plate. Hell, only time I did get pulled over in it was the 2nd day I had my car(I was doing 78 in a 55, but, he dropped it down to 74 in a 55 and gave me a warning) Now thats a nice cop. I'm going to go find some wood to knock on now.

Porschefan 07-11-2004 08:47 PM

Living in the suburbs of Houston, front plates are looked for by the local constables, sheriffs and DPS. It was because of no front plate that I found out my son had decided to take my Targa out on a sunny day. He got a ticket for no front plate. I still haven't plated the Targa but do run a plate on my Boxster as it's my daily driver, averaging at least 50 miles daily through constable, sheriff, Houston PD and DPS stomping grounds.