Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 09:43 AM   #1

Rally

Took my new sae boxster on a rally...my first. Did the odo check but not really sure how that helps if the speedo is also off?

Any rally folks out there who can shed some light.

Also, if the Nav. computer runs off of GPS, would not the ave. MPH be spot on?

I am somewhat mixed up right now.

Vic

P.S. We had a ball. Came in 4 out of 13 in novice class.

A fun day.

Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #2

Tell me where you "Rallied" from and too, who sponsored it ?

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:23 AM   #3

It was a time/distance rally by Porsche San Diego.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #4

I did not see it on there line up.

Thanks anyway.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #5

The hard-won knowledge noted below was gained mostly in the days of Curta calculators and Halda Speed Pilots (I can hear the "wha...???" already), so how it relates to on-board GPS computers, I haven't a clue.
When a rally is laid out, the distance from one instruction to the next is measured to the closest 100th of a mile. The rally master establishes (based on posted speed limit, generally) a specified speed for that little section. The "perfect time" is a calculation based on the specified speed and the measured distance for that section. All of the section times are then added together to reach the total perfect time for a check point.
The theory of the odo check is to compare your car's odometer to the odo of the car that was used to measure the rally. If the odo check is specified to be say 15.7 miles long, and your odo reads 15.2 miles, you have a difference of about 3 or 4%.
On the actual rally sections, you would theoretically have to drive about 3 or 4% faster than the specified speed to reach the end of a given section at the time calculated to be "perfect" based upon the odo of the measuring car.
If your car said the odo check was 16.4 miles instead of 15.7, you would have to drive maybe 4% slower than the specified speed to reach the end of the section at the specified time.
Whether or not your actual speedo is "off" isn't really an issue, since what you are trying to do is match the distance travelled by your car in the same time as the calculated ideal. That calculated ideal is based upon the odo of the measuring car, so the purpose of the odo check is to allow you to compare your odo to the measuring car's odo.
I hope this explanation is a.) correct, and b.) helpful.
Sometimes us old guys don't remember stuff so good.
Regards, and happy rallying.
Ronzi

PS - If you are wondering how the rally master can measure distance to a 100th of a mile, they have to have a special 100th-reading odometer lashup. Maybe they do use GPS for that stuff nowadays.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #6

If your response was in reference to my question, From where to where; That was due to me living in the area, and I was curious what areas were covered.

Thanks for the procedural input though; I have had my dose of buggy poker runs.

just location... location.... location :>)

It's all in the location.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I did read in the " manual" that the trip measurement capacity is run off of the GPS. So, if you reset for each segment, the average speed readout should be a great moving target for a given " cast" or change average speed to instruction.

Now if can just learn to follow directions, I should do damn well.

Thanks for the help.