Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #1

Boxster....350z....or s2000????

hey fellow boxster owner....had some guy make me an offer on my boxster yesterday and was thinking if i should sell it or not.... if i do then i can possibly buy a 350z or s2000.... which do you think is a better car or should i just keep the boxster...btw.. i have a 97 with 40k and drives beautifully....I've previously owned a z3 and miata as roadsters....

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
blkboxster

if you were to trade i would go for the 350z, trust me its a FUN car
Old 07-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #3

I would sell the 97 and get either one, or better yet, pick up a used boxster S.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #4

I think it all depends on what you want..were u thinking of a 350z convt or the coupe? How much are u getting for the box? if its a really good deal sell the box and get a newer one or if you want a change, the s2000 is an amazing car in my opinion but a lot of people on this forum think it doesnt measure up the box cuz its not a porsche...I think all three cars are good and really fun and ive driven all three on a daily basis. id get the 350z as a coupe only tho and if you want a convt pick between the porsche and the s2000.
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #5

Honda has a nice product, but imo you've covered it already with the Z3. I was all set, shopping for and intended to buy a 350Z. Was hanging out reading and learning on the Z forums.

The Z is a nice car, torque, hp, throaty exhaust. For me, at the end of the day it as like the C6 and GM. At the end of the day it was still a Nissan with a cheesy interior.

It really comes down to what car feels, looks right. The first time I passed a Z I knew I made the right long term choice. The Boxster just has that chill bump excitement for me.

Do some reading and driving, you'll find the one that gets you excited to get in it.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #6

i don't know i think its just me and wanting something new.... the 350z and s2000 are nice cars with more hp than i have but i don't want the ricers coming up to me to try and race me at every stop light.... i love the boxster but i just like trying out new cars... i was thinking audi tt but didn't want a front drive car... just trying to think...
Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #7

how much are they offering you for your car? Im curious since I also have a 97 with 40k
juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:19 AM   #8

Keep it, or buy a newer boxster, I sold my few years back, and there is not a day I don't miss it. I thought a mint 93 300zx convertible might do the trick, it's nowhere near the boxster. I thought about s2000, 350z, and BMW 3's convert, but somehow I end up at the boxster forum. Right now, I'm just getting my business start, and believe me, I'll end up another boxster. Until then, I'll have my old photos to cry to.
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #9

Tdog, I didn't know you sold the boxster. Sorry to hear that. I remember your car...it was nice. Hope you get a replacement real soon.

Cheers
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #10

how about the new Mercedes C63 AMG? 6.3L V8..... 451hp! LOL

I'd keep the boxster myself..... I suppose if you are having repair and maintenance issues with your boxster you could move to the S2000. before I bought my boxster I spoke with some pro drivers who had raced all three and they'd pick the boxster. they liked the S2000 and said it was fast on the track but not very forgiving. they told me the boxster was the easiest to drive fast. not being a pro driver I decided I needed the more forgiving machine... LOL
they said that in their experience the S2000 was already tweaked out close to the max from the factory so they found it hard to modify it to improve performance at the track.

as an aside: It's amazing the selection of product offerings out there for car enthusiasts compared to say 20 years ago. Makes it hard to narrow down a decision. ;-)
Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #11

well from what i see.....everytime i pass a s2000 driver they are staring at my kar. i friend owns a 350z and all he can do is talk about my boxster. i raced the 350z and my friend could barely keep up. on every bend in the road he would slamm on his breaks.

my boxster gets looks like its a $100,000 kar. the 350z and s2000 look like a $50,000 kar not that many head turns!

n for someone who has babied there porsche...97 with 40,000 why in the world would you ever sell it.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Having driven the 350Z extensively after renting one on a trip not long ago, I must say that the car is a lot of car for the money. What impressed me: Modern looks, nice lines. Very good power (I think it's like 280hp vs. my base 01's 217hp), great off the line torque response - it would definitely take my car on a 0-60 sprint. Terrific sound from the exhaust - no need for an upgrade or aftermarket exhaust, as it sounds great straight out of the box. Surprisingly good handling characteristics- no body roll when taking turns. As good as the handling is on my boxster, there is actually body roll (lean) in corners. There is no such roll in the 350Z. It feels tight albiet a bit heavier in turns. Terrific value- heated seats, xenon headlights, sirius radio - all seemed standard on the car.

What was mediocre: Car exhibited lots of road noise- there was definitely not as much sound insulation put in this car, so it seemed less refined than the box. While the engine was nice and torquey, it kinda fell flat after reaching the upper rev ranges, whereas the boxster kinda comes alive after 5K rpms. The 350Z's engine, as you get higher up, sounds/feels almost as if it's gonna explode. Interior- while it looks modernly designed, they use cheap/plasticy materials, and there is very little actual useable storage space.

At the end of the day, I think the 350Z is a great alternative to the Boxster if cost/future outlay is important to you. ie. as the car gets older, I'm pretty sure the Boxster will cost you more to maintain/repair than the Box. What you get for the extra money you pay initially for, and the higher maintenance cost for the Boxster is a terrific overall sports car designed more for grins in the curves than the stoplight to stoplight contests, with the added advantage of owning a car that looks more expensive and garners more attention/flash value from others. Bottom line- if I couldn't afford the Boxster, I'd def. go for a 350Z because it is a pretty darned good sports car for the money- good power, sound, looks for the buck, imho. As for the Honda S2000, I wouldn't really consider it as much as the Nissan because I personally don't really much like the boy racer exterior design, and the smaller interior. Also, the Honda's engine, while nice up top, is listless in the lower rev ranges. I prefer the torquey engine from Nissan.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog
Keep it, or buy a newer boxster, I sold my few years back, and there is not a day I don't miss it. I thought a mint 93 300zx convertible might do the trick, it's nowhere near the boxster. I thought about s2000, 350z, and BMW 3's convert, but somehow I end up at the boxster forum. Right now, I'm just getting my business start, and believe me, I'll end up another boxster. Until then, I'll have my old photos to cry to.

Id' cry too. I love those wheels on the silver. Gorgeous.

Buck up, it will come again.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #14

Newer Boxster or S2000.

S2000 is bullet proof, and way cooler than the 350. The 350's interior makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. It has a large wall of plastic to your left called "the driver's door." The interior itself is cheapish. The S2K will age better in my opinion too.

Wringing out an S2000 is fun. It's got a wonderful sound (so does the 350, but the it's nice to hear the RPMs climb so high in the Honda.)

Now then, if you're really keen to the 350, I'd prefer Infiniti's version, the G35.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #15

350z is great alternative for the boxster, I get to drive it quite often since a buddy of mine owns one. I came close few times but weren't able to pull the trigger. I just put my 300z on the market, and sadly I'll miss that car too since the weather has been amazing in Seattle.
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #16

Smile

I have owned numerous 300ZXs. Great car.

Your ragtop was gorgeous.

NICE!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #17

I have driven all 3 cars. If I had to chose between the S2000 or 350Z over my Boxster I would go with the 350Z. I loved the transmission and handling on the S2000 but the noise and ergonomics of the car just make it unbearable long term.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #18

test drove an s2000 yesterday... although it was a nice car it just didn't have that power i thought it would have.... its definitely nice and quiet but i guess its a honda it felt more like driving my old civic than a roadster... i even pushed it to 9 rpm and it just didn't have the emphh... i'll give the 350 a try and decide....
Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
good job man, on testing all the cars before deciding.
remember, those s2000 have the vtech crap, so they only move after a while lol, kinda funny, but jsut as a boxster, its no off-the-line-car, so it gets me laughing when i see those kids drag racing those.
although a boxster is by no means a fast car either, it hadles like a mofo haha, for the lack of better words. im really not impressed by few things on the car, but overall i love it.

i love the sound tho, especially since the intake is right on your ear cant beat that
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #20

Wait for the S2000 CR coming soon.

If I couldn't buy another BoxsterS

S2000 CR
Mini Cooper S (works package)
maybe a yellow Lotus Elise for a year.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW