986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear window/plastic window question??? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/11990-rear-window-plastic-window-question.html)

mikes_box 07-02-2007 09:33 PM

Rear window/plastic window question???

Anyone try to just replace the plastic window?? heard on the miata forum that you can glue a new piece of vinyl and then cut out the old one.... thanks.

Peter Serbanica 07-03-2007 01:59 AM

I replace plastic window in NJ. The top must be removed to sew in the new plastic $525.00

Rob-00BoxsterS 07-03-2007 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
I replace plastic window in NJ. The top must be removed to sew in the new plastic $525.00

Ouch. I just picked up my box from the shop on Thursday. Had the rear window replaced and they had the car for two days. Looks perfect and the price was $225.00.

kabel 07-04-2007 05:06 AM

Really Rob?? That sounds too good to be true, I might just have to drive over there and have that done! Mine has already had the plastic replaced once, I wonder if it can handle it again.

Rob-00BoxsterS 07-04-2007 09:01 AM

Let me know. I'll meet up with you and you can see the job they did on my car. Seems good to me - plastic is even with no waves and when I initially talked to them they were professional and knowledgable about the top on the Box. They told me when I was ready to replace the entire top with a glass window one they would do it for under $300.00 (plus the cost of the top, of course.)

They also replaced the top on a co-workers BMW (he was the one that recommended them to me) and did very good work at a great price for him also.

FrayAdjacent 07-04-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes_box
Anyone try to just replace the plastic window?? heard on the miata forum that you can glue a new piece of vinyl and then cut out the old one.... thanks.

Cutting out the old and gluing in a new one? I've seen someone do that on a Boxster and it looked like ASS. I mean, it was ghetto.

When your rear window has problems, you have two real choices, have it replaced (by an auto upholstery shop, which has to remove the top and sew in a new one), or have the whole top replaced.

You can get a glass window top for right around $700 (topsonline.com) and have it installed. Or install it yourself. Mike Focke put up the DIY for it. Time consuming, but doesn't seem to be TOO difficult.

Peter Serbanica 07-04-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
Ouch. I just picked up my box from the shop on Thursday. Had the rear window replaced and they had the car for two days. Looks perfect and the price was $225.00.

$225. is bs. if an oil change on a toyota camry is $45.00. what r u smokin?

Rob-00BoxsterS 07-04-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
$225. is bs. if an oil change on a toyota camry is $45.00. what r u smokin?

Umm....OK

kabel, let me know if you want the name and the number of the shop that I took my Boxster to so you can pay the same "B.S." $225.00 that I did.

Peter Serbanica 07-23-2007 03:44 AM

replacing plastic window today

JAAY 07-23-2007 07:22 AM

I paid 600.00 in and out the same day. $225 is worth the drive though.. I might go get it changed again just to say that is what I payed. :cheers:

racer_d 07-23-2007 11:52 AM

Lets not overlook geography here. One poster is in Tampa, another outside NYC and the thread starter in San Francisco. It is concievable that the same job in NY costs more than in Tampa. That said. Yes, the rear window can be replaced. Seems costs for just that could be as little as $225 to about $500.