Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #1

Question Tiptronic and brake

Question: since almost day 1 when I'm manoeuvring when releasing smoothly the brakes I hear a cracking sound coming from the brakes, only when going from drive to reverse or opposite, from time to time it's quite loud othertimes quieter. If I release the brakes abruptely no noise. When braking in other conditionsno noise as well..
I've been to the dealer to complain about that and he says it's normal with tiptronics , indeed he showed me the same kind of noise with a 4s. Explained ne something not very clear about the cluth against barkes in tiptronic.

Anybody experienced the same ?

Birdy1062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #2

I have noticed similar brake noises on my '99 Tip. I usually hear it when I am backing out of the garage. I suppose the enclosed area makes it more noticeable.
I put it down to the brake pads not fully releasing from the discs, and needing a little rotation to back off.
Ronzi
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:02 AM   #3
b0xt0La

I hear that noise sometimes when I'm backing up while turning the steering wheel left.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #4

Angry

A bit disappointing for a car of that price .... I don't remember any other "automatic drive" making that kind of noise ....
Birdy1062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 02:00 PM   #5

One of the intriguing things about a Porsche is the extremely clever, almost meticulous attention paid to the engineering of some components, versus the goofy way they put up with practically stone age operation of other components.
A case in point being the little plastic skirts in front of the front wheels directing cooling air into a channel leading to the brake discs. Marvelous attention to detail. Contrast that to the cruise control that disconnects with an audible "thunk". I haven't had another car in the last fifteen years that did that.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote