Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Well, to tell the truth, I bought the Boxster because I couldn't afford the Elise that I wanted. In hindsight, it was an excellent decision. I don't think I would have been as happy with the Lotus in the long run.
Lotus

L oads
O f
T rouble
U sually
S erious

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #42
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Boobies, of course.

Then it grew on me
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Lotus

L oads
O f
T rouble
U sually
S erious
Yeah, I've seen that before but, it's a Toyota engine. How much trouble could it be, really?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #44

The sports car I had been driving was a 1980 Triumph TR8. I'd had it for about 25 years and it was a great car....until I drove it back to back with a neighbors 993. I couldn't believe how bad my car handled compared to the Porsche. After that I knew I had to have a Porsche and it was just a matter of finding the right one. I picked a slightly used (14k miles) 2003 Boxster S in 2008 because it was designed to be a convertible, it had plenty of power and it handled better than anything I'd ever driven and the one I found, after a full year searching, still smelled like a new car but had already lost 50% of it's value, so it was truly a bargain. I limited my search to 2003 and 2004 cars because they had the glass back window which was something I really wanted after having a plastic one for so long.
In my search, I also looked at BMW Z4's and Honda S2000's. The Boxster S handled better and also had a more comfortable ride than the either of the other cars I was evaluating. It was an easy decision to go with the Boxster S. The only challenge was finding the right one.

Last edited by Dave S.; 04-25-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #45

Why?

I had a 1967 MGB Roadster in high school and also all through college drove it in MN winters with no problem after nine years it was falling apart so I sold it to a very persistent person who would show up at my front door. I have always wanted another roadster so my problem was which one. Which roadster should I get that would totally satisfy me where I would not regret buying another. The answer always came back to the Boxster. So I researched and found a beauty with hard top and a great price. And to my surprise it is not that difficult to work on I just overhauled my front suspension with upgraded parts and had a lot of fun doing it.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #46
1998 Boxster Owner

Always appreciated cars - dad and uncles were mechanics. I was given "you have to take care of your car speech" my whole life. My first car was a 79 Camaro always thought my "mid life" car was gonna be a restored Camaro, Impala, or Corvair, but then the Boxster came along. Always liked Porsche but always out of my budget. I was driving the same Corolla S since 2001 because being married with 4 kids, it was my attempt to remain practical. Then I decided I wanted a car to call my own and I was tired of being practical. I've had a big boy job for the past 3 years so it was time. My wife is pretty down to earth and not a "nagging" wife. She was all for it. I found my 98 Boxster at a Porsche dealership - only had 50K miles and after the safety inspection they gave it a full 60K service and put new tires on it. I couldn't pass it up. Now I drive to and from work with a smile on my face. I figured out all of the back roads on my commute so no more boring bumper to bumper in my Toyota. The Corolla was good to me but I passed it on to my daughter - My Boxster has a hard top which I prefer the look over the soft top but I may take it off during summer, which I guess is the thing to do :dance:
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #47
Need For Speed

Garage
Went out looking for a 4x4 truck, came home with a Porsche.

My 4x4 truck motor locked up at the beginning of February 2013. I went looking for another 4x4 to buy at the worst time of year to be buying one. Ran across my Boxster S at a dealership, which at that time was the time of the year to be selling a RWD 2 seater convertible. I drove it, loved it and pretty much stole it from the dealership.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #48
On the slippery slope

Garage
I wanted to attract hairdressers
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I wanted to attract hairdressers
LOL! How are things going in that effort? Are these hairdressers to teh rich and famous, or Cost Cutters?

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #50

Garage
The more it sits and is not driven
The growing list of what I should replace just because everyone says so (IMSB, Clutch, RMS, Waterpump, AOS, etc, etc, etc)

I don't know why I bought it

Even the Hairdressers ignore me