Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #1

Odd Transmission Problem

Having had a 911 (964) Tiptronic a few years ago, I recently bought a 2004 Boxster 2.7 with a tiptronic box, with only 13k miles on the clock. After a month or so I started to get a fault that I can't find described in any of the online forums.
When I start up from cold, I reverse out of my driveway - no problems, I select Reverse, the red "R" light displays and the gear engages. When I move the auto shift into Drive I get the "D" light flashing but with no indication of the gear I am in. The car drives and shifts automatically as it should, but the "D" light just keeps flashing. Most times It will eventually display normally, but not always.Some experimentation shows me that:
1. Shifting the lever left into the Manual position allows me to change gear with the buttons on the steering wheel (but the "D" light just keeps flashing.
2. Sometimes, if I build up some speed until I'm in the higher gears, if I shift into "N" then back into "D" I can get the flashing light to disappear and the display to work normally.
3. When it goes to normal display it usually stays that way untiil I stop. Then the whole pantomime starts over again.
4. There is a more worrying feature though, and that is when I am accelerating hard, it will sometimes feel like it is losing drive, before it kicks back in again. I feel that it is more like an electronic inhibitor kicking in than a mechanical transmission/engine problem, but I may be wrong.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions before I make the 200+ mile round trip to my nearest Porsche dealership.

Last edited by Sir_Ben; 06-09-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Sir_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

All fixed and running sweet again

Took the car to a Porsche main dealer and it turned out to be an electronics fault that was traced to the multi-function switch - whatever that is.
They fitted a new switch and did a full test - took 3 hours at a labour rate of an eye-watering £115 per hour (that's around $230 per hour). Luckily the warranty covered most of the charge.
Anyway, it's completely cured the problem and I'm starting to enjoy my Boxster again.
Here's an interesting side fact. The service manager pointed out that my car had Porsche approved tyres on the rear, but they were from different manufacturers. He said that the electronic management system might sense slight variations in the circumferences between the tyres and this could give me some odd fault readings at times.

PS- I'm from the UK, so 'labour' = 'labor', 'tyres' = 'tires', etc. Thanks for your patience.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #3

which one's the bonnet? and what's the other storage space called?
nola mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Our bonnet = your Hood

Your Trunk = our Boot

You have sway bars, we have anti-roll bars

It goes on !!!