Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to BLACK PORSCHE 6
Fans Stopped

HI GUYS, HELP! I have a 97 boxster, I just took the car out of storage, while driving home i noticed the temp. passed the 180 mark " just passed the 0" I pulled over to check if my fans were working. NO FANS RUNNING! just the one in the rear. My coolant was at the full mark. I turned the air on and the fans worked to get me home. What do you guys think it is, my Fan sensor? Fan relay? thanks

Last edited by BLACK PORSCHE 6; 06-04-2007 at 03:23 PM.
BLACK PORSCHE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #2

If neither fan works with the car at running temp and the AC blowing hard, it's probably a fuse or a wiring short of some sort. Both wouldn't go out simultaneously unless you were having the worst boxster day in history. Check the fuse panel first.

If the passenger side fan comes on by itself when the AC is blowing, it is either the thermostat in the primary fan shroud or the fan itself. The bearings do wear out on the primary fans, but sometimes, it's just the thermostat or reastat or whatever it's called.

I replaced my primary fan last summer on my 97. Common wear item on older boxsters.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to BLACK PORSCHE 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
If neither fan works with the car at running temp and the AC blowing hard, it's probably a fuse or a wiring short of some sort. Both wouldn't go out simultaneously unless you were having the worst boxster day in history. Check the fuse panel first.

If the passenger side fan comes on by itself when the AC is blowing, it is either the thermostat in the primary fan shroud or the fan itself. The bearings do wear out on the primary fans, but sometimes, it's just the thermostat or reastat or whatever it's called.

I replaced my primary fan last summer on my 97. Common wear item on older boxsters.
HI Randallneghbour, I checked my fuses all good. my primary was changed to. The fans are ok because when i turn the air on, both fan turn on? I guess your right, I had the worst boxster day in history..
BLACK PORSCHE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #4

If the gauge wasn't too far from the 180 mark, the fans might not come on. I've noticed my car edging up a little, and the fans not being on. Could be the coolant was up to temperature, but the oil was not?

Since they came on with the AC, I would suspect the fans are functional. I'd just keep an eye on your temperature, as long as it's between the 180 mark and the next white mark up, it should be fine.

You should, however, plan on removing your bumper skin and cleaning out your radiators. They get dirty and need cleaning periodically. I'm planning on doing mine soon, since it's starting to get HOT around here!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote