Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #1

2 or 3 way speaker install ?

Hi,

I just took a visit to the local audio store where they recommended a two way speaker install upfront in my 04 Boxster S.

They wanted to install a 6.5" + tweeter.

I prefer the idea of a three way install, so I thought that I better ask the forum for some feedback on members that opted for a two way and their thoughts.

Thanks.

subwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #2

I'm a huge fan of 3-way systems, esp in cars like the boxster. Modify your doors to do a 6 1/2 down there, and then do something like a 4" mid and and soft dome tweeter in the dash (or be cool like me and do ribbon midrange drivers )

Keep in mind, that if you do want real bass, you are still going to want a sub in there.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I also liked the idea of keeping the three way install too.

As for adding a sub, I see JL is bringing out a new 12" sub, which is a real slim design. The local audio shop claims it will be in stock sometime in August so will hold-fire on a sub until then.

if you get chance can you post details about the three way system you added?

Thanks,

David.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #4

OK, I think that I have come up with the best solution for me based on price, sound and ease of install.

MB QUART RUA210 4" + 1" Tweeter
MB QUART RVF164 6.5" Woofer
MB QUART RAB450 4x50 Amp

I know it's not the be all and end of of audio, but I think it will be a consideriable upgrade from the factory Hi-fi currently installed. I plan on using two channels for the left and right, then bridge the other two channels and install a JL 6.5 W3 later on in the year.

I would of prefered silk tweeters but I think this works well as the 4" has a low mounting depth and sound be easy to install.

I can get this above items for about $600, so if anyone has any other suggestions they think would work better in the same price range I would be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks,

David.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #5

The components you have mentioned should work very well in this install. As to my install, I have the Hertz Mille 3-way system in my car which consists of 6 1/2 mid bass drivers, a ribbon midrange, and a 1" soft dome super tweeter. As to the cost, dont even ask (my car is a showpiece for a high end audio shop).

On the topic of subs, I would avoid the flat piston subs. I have heard them and they are good for SPL but not very musical. We have a pre-formed sub available from the shop that houses a JL 8W0 and fits in the passenger footwell. See the post on here for pictures and pricing.

Patrick
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #6

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply. I did review your sub enclosure and at the moment only have one question.

Does the box come carpeted or do we take care of that ourselves?

Thanks again,

David.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #7

Looks like a nice setup. Good upgrade over stock.

What are the dimensions of that AMP?

It may not be important to you at all, but it's sweet when you can mount the AMP and crossovers in the space behind the spare tire; where the stock equipment sits.

My friend just installed an Audison AMP this weekend, it's on the floor of the trunk...

That's where the cooler full of beer goes.
eric95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #8

I have not measured the space behind the spare tire yet, but the amp dimensions are (W/H/D): 7.88 x 2.03 x 8.3 inch.

I hope that it fits in this location

David.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #9

Your amp may or may not fit in the factory location, but keep in mind the front wall (nearest the bumper) is also a common install location for amps and does not intrude too much on cargo volume.

As to the sub, yes, it comes loaded with the driver and in the color carpeting to match your interior. It does require cutting your factory floor carpeting to fit.

Patrick
Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #10

I just made the first purchase today on my quest to upgrade my audio system:

1) Dynaudio 342 three way speaker system
2) Alpine MRP-F450 Amp

All other items are on hold until after the install and I can review the bass quality and quantity! Not to mention I went a little over budget with the Dyn's!

David.