Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Protection in the Sun?

I'm taking my first road-trip in about a month, heading to sunny California. It's going to be hot there, and where I'm staying I won't be able to park my Boxster under cover. The top and the interior are black, and I'm concerned about damage from the sun. Should I be and, if so, does anyone have any suggestions for protecting it?

Old Blevins

OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
You will be fine,I live in Sacramento and never put my top up and nothing has faded or cracked on me yet.

If you are really worried,303 Aerospace for the interoir w/ built in UV protection and 303's products for the top,which should have UV protection as well. You could get UV protection window tint that is basically clear tint w/ UV protection.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 05-29-2007 at 12:03 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #3

I keep "the club" steering wheel lock on my car since it sits around Monday to Friday. I've had it for about a year and took a close look at it this weekend. The side that faces the windshield was completely faded to a very light pink while the side facing the driver was still red.

303 is good and you can get it at most places.
I use 1Z vinyl and rubber from Pelican . Their leather cleaner is also A+
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #4

Sun shade in windshield.

Good coat of Klasse and Klasse sealant before you arrive.

That should do it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
bmussatti

Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those sun shields that you put in the front window. Buy the type that has two collapsible circles/ovals that fold and un-fold. You can store it under your seat when not in use. They sell about 3-4 different sizes. Just use the size chart on the back panel. I think it is the "small" sized one. Cost <$10.00.

If you can, park with the front of the car into the sun, and with your shades in, the interior will stay shaded.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #6

At first I thought you meant sun protection for yourself. When I lived in Southern California, Thousand Oaks, I learned real fast to use sunblock. As for the Boxster, besides the UV protection already mentioned, if you plan on leaving it out sitting in the sun for extended periods of time why don't you go down to your local Porsche dealer and buy a custom car cover?
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
bmussatti

Read this old post, and try buying a convertible top cover. I have one, and it is great.

Convertible Top Covers
Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #8

Chill, i live in Los Angeles/Newport California near the beach. My boxster is 7 years old and it still looks clean : ) relax a little sun will be ok. I don't think the designers and painters of the car would be that dumb

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #9

Thanks, all. It's reassuring to hear from those who live in that climate that it's not such a big deal. It will only be for a few days. I'm going to go for a couple of the less expensive options and not worry my pretty little sunburned face about it anymore.

Old Blevins
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Read this old post, and try buying a convertible top cover. I have one, and it is great.

Convertible Top Covers

Both of the links in that old thread are dead... I was thinking about getting something like the cover mentioned... I've seen it before on Ebay. I was having issues with leaks when it rained (and it's been HELLA rainy here this spring!). Throw it on in the evening when I get home, since a lot of our rain happens at night...

Anyone got any fresh links?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Both of the links in that old thread are dead... I was thinking about getting something like the cover mentioned... I've seen it before on Ebay. I was having issues with leaks when it rained (and it's been HELLA rainy here this spring!). Throw it on in the evening when I get home, since a lot of our rain happens at night...

Anyone got any fresh links?
Sorry, I don't. I don't see his covers on e-Bay any longer either. Strange.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #12

It won't be an issue for just 1 trip.

+1 on the 303 Aerospace stuff, though. I put in on the whole interior occasionally instead of using stuff like armor-all and my red interior still looks like new after a few years of a lot of top-down California existence.

CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote