Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
Forum Contributor

Strange crack in front bumber

I have this strange square crack (i don't know how else to describe it) in the front bumper on the right side. It appears to be a perfect square about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. As far as I know there has been no physical contact with anything that could cause this. There are no scratches, dents or gouges in the bumper to indicate any kind of contact.
Anyone have any ideas?
I am attaching a picture.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 AM   #2

Is that 1 of the 2 square holes for mounting the front plate bracket?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
Forum Contributor

I don't have any holes in the front. Its a Florida car we don't have front plates.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #4

If what you say is true, that there are no holes in the front to facilitate plates, then looks like someone tried to poke a hole in what may be the "outline" of one of the two plate holes.

Just my opinion and observation of your attached picture.

Very ouch though, very ouch...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

It seems like the bumber had been repainted and the work was not performed correctly. As a result, the paint is starting to crack.

-Nat
Old 06-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #6

All cars have 2 square holes for the front plate bracket. Even replacement bumper covers have the holes. Your car had 2 square holes at one time. Porsche does not make a special bumper cover or car just for those states that do not require a front plate.

My cover was replaced last year. I talked to the owner of my local Porsche body shop about filling in the holes on the replacement, since I do not use a front plate.

He said they do not use a filler like bondo, since it does not flex like the plastic cover does. They plastic weld it close or something like that.

Looks to me like a hole was filled and you have a stress cracks in the paint after the plastic cover was depressed.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #7
Forum Contributor

looks like it is the hole for the front plate bracket, don't know why they would be covered though.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #8

It is not that uncommon to fill the holes. A local 996 owner just put on a turbo cover and he had the body shop fill the license plate holes and the round hole for the tow hook. Since we are in CA where the plate is required it is going to be interesting when he gets his first ticket. And now the only way to pull his car on a flat bed is backwards.