Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #1

Operating top while moving hack

I saw on another board that all you have to do in order to operate the top while in motion (up to 25mph) was to take out the relay (which I assume is in the fuse box), bend the #18 pin and replace the relay. It does say that the handbrake light has to be on, so I guess just barely pull it up till it lights up but does not engage the actual braking mechanism? Any truth to this? If so, this is a pretty good and free hack.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It's a great hack, but you need to make sure you don't operate your top above 25mph, or else there's risk of damaging the top. While moving, all you need to do is pull up the parking brake one or two clicks, and it will allow you to operate the top while moving. Comes in very handy when you're stuck in slow traffic that is still moving, or when there is no shoulder to pull off to, and it starts raining.

Oh, and this hack is good for the 986 series. The 987 already has this feature built in, and you don't have to pull up the handbrake like you do in the DIY 986 hack.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
bmussatti

Shaman, this is a standard feature on the 987. And I know several 986 owners have done the hack or installed some device sold in Porsche related magazines.

I have only used this feature on my car less than 3-4 times. I just don't think this is a smart move for the top. Too many undue and unnecessary stresses being put on the top mechanism.

JMHO, but I suggest just waiting the 11 seconds, sitting still (I use the time to check my oil...only takes 6 seconds!) and just let the top do its thing!

Take care.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
It's a great hack, but you need to make sure you don't operate your top above 25mph, or else there's risk of damaging the top. While moving, all you need to do is pull up the parking brake one or two clicks, and it will allow you to operate the top while moving. Comes in very handy when you're stuck in slow traffic that is still moving, or when there is no shoulder to pull off to, and it starts raining.

Oh, and this hack is good for the 986 series. The 987 already has this feature built in, and you don't have to pull up the handbrake like you do in the DIY 986 hack.

Boxtaboy, very true about the rain issue. That's about the only time I have used the feature. Good point.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #5

I have a 2001, so I would have to do the hack. I always put the top down before moving due to the boxster chop, so I would only use it for the rain/cold thing. I have only needed it once, and was trying to gauge the lights to put the top up before the light turned. I failed. Nothing like sitting at a fresh green light with 10 horns honking at you. Looks like I'll be doing this one. Thanks!

Last edited by shaman1204; 05-22-2007 at 03:33 PM.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Boxtaboy, very true about the rain issue. That's about the only time I have used the feature. Good point.
Ha..yeah...I've been caught in the rain a couple of times before, and thought to myself...dang...if I could only put my top up while moving, I wouldn't look like such a doofus driving with my top down in the rain!@$%

After finding out about the hack, I've actually used the feature a number of times, but only when driving pretty slow. I agree that for the most part, you really should put your top up/down when at a full stop because it puts the least stress on the cables that way. I have to admit though- it does look really cool when you can move the top while your moving.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i have it done too, and i love it.
i use it when i pull up to my house or anwhere else, while parking, so that i dojnt have to stop and sit there putting the top up.

i also have the hack where i dont have to push in the clutch to turn the car on, veryyyyyyyyyyy helpful
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
I saw on another board that all you have to do in order to operate the top while in motion (up to 25mph) was to take out the relay (which I assume is in the fuse box), bend the #18 pin and replace the relay. It does say that the handbrake light has to be on, so I guess just barely pull it up till it lights up but does not engage the actual braking mechanism? Any truth to this? If so, this is a pretty good and free hack.
So which fuse box is it? Any pictures as to which one is pin#18? Or is it on the cover of the fuse box? Man I need to get a porsche manual. Hehe...
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #9

You can find it here:

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=595
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
its above the fusebox. its the BIGGEST relay there

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page