Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 05:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Rear Tail Light Lens

I am looking to replace the stock tail lights on a 2000 Boxster. I was looking for replacements and saw one on Suncoast Porsche website for 185. They were Red/White. I saw another one on Pelican Parts that was red/smoke, for $327 each. Any experience with which one is more attractive? Also, which one is OEM on the 02'+ models. I have not seen any red/smoke up close, so I wanted to see if they are worth spending the extra money on. Thank you.

boxstertobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:17 AM   #2

My Boxster friend has a tail light fetish. He has 6 different tail lights. This is his pic of the smoked

The ones on Pelican are the old amber lights which have been tinted black by someone in Germany. Came out about 3 years ago. $327 each is a crazy price for a dye job. They look good on a plain black car. Henry has a 2000 arena red so he ended up with the factory clear lights. He still has the smoked versions sitting in his garage plus some other versions if you are interested in the smoked look.

Suncoast sells the clear factory versions which came out for model year 2003. I have them on my silver 1997. But they were given to me as a gift from a friend in Germany who had a connection to Porsche when it was hard to find them in the US back in 2002. Jeff

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-14-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #3

Mid America sells the "tint" in a spray can.

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=8.5153

Has anybody tried this? Seems like you could make the tinted lights for about $200. I was planning on spending some money on my car this summer, and this was one of the things I was gonna do. But fate decieded that I need to buy a new laptop.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:42 PM   #4

This is them on a black car.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #5

Oh no! It's an ALTEZZA!!!! lol

Altezza = IS300 style taillights on all the Civics and Integras.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:22 PM   #6

FYI:

Suncoast has the Clear/Red tail lights on sale for $161.50! Wow, how can you pass that up? With shipping it was still only $175.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=kit00004490068&Category_Code=POTEBXEX
Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i can't! im buying!!! too good to pass up. i hope it stays on sale until the weekend.

oh, and happy 100th post to me!!! :dance: this is officially the longest i have ever been on any board. Glad to be a part of it.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:41 AM   #8
porsche986

i think i will add black lights to my black car it looks nice in the picture..

thanks toopants
Old 09-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Lux

OMG! MY EYES!!!

Those tailights are hideous. The altezzas are the worst. But those black ones (Camaro IROC, Knight Rider, 1980's style) are a close second. They all look like Pep Boys APC crap that you see on Honda Civics. JMHO.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

I kinda like the stock set-up. Am I the only one?:dance:
Old 09-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #11

It is all a matter of what you want and like. If you want Henry's email then let me know.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #12

Just curious..

Are these legal in all 50 states ?? I have seen cops bust street rods for "blue dots" in the tail lense.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #13

Talking

I finally got this done today. Thanks for the instructions in a previous post to the couple of people who explained the process. I’m not sure this photo does it justice, but the Clear/Red definitely looks much better than the stock. I’m not to sure why these are not standard in the US.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:01 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
my rear clears, purchased off ebay, are in transit right now. Wish i had them before the weekend (doubt that will happen). I have a black car, so thank you or showing me just how cool my car will look :dance:
Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 AM   #15
porsche986

yea i agree clear/red lights on a black car look nice, i have them on my black car also...

i must admit though those clear/clear ones on that maroon boxster in the pic above are a little boy racerish if you ask me, they are horrible
Old 09-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #16

This thread, and especially the pictures, have been most helpful in helping me come to a final decision about my tail lights.

My black 97 has stock tail lights and I like the red, orange and clear bits. The Red and clear look ok, and if I ever get hit from behind (God Forbid!) I'd upgrade to them.

The more I own my car, the more I like it just the way it is. I'd enjoy twice the amount of torque, mind you, but the looks of it are quite nice from the back end. Very aggressive compared to the 911.

Now I do like the litronic headlight looks though, and I bet they're a lot brighter too. I'll be shopping Ebay for a pair of those, but i want factory ones that are self-leveling. That's so cool.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #17
porsche986

Clear front lights are a must. I am sure you will find a set on ebay.

I was thinking today when i was driving amagine if porsche made a cream colured boxster it would look stunning with the clear headlights. I wonder why they didnt make a cream version.. i would have bought one as i think cream on a boxster would look very nice and very tidy.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #18

OK guys,
Here's a really technical question.

I'm considering importing a set of clear red tail lights from the US to Australia, as I can save $150 (even covering the shipping charges), BUT in doing my research have come across two part numbers:

000 044 900 67 (not for USA)
and
000 044 900 68 (USA)

what's the difference between the two? Are there electrical differences between them? Bulbs in different places? One or two fog lights? Plugs?

Is there a difference between left and right hand drive cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 AM   #19
porsche986

i am from the uk but heres an idea...

does the us have red flashing indicators instead of orange?

I dont think there is a change in the lights porsche couldnt afford to have 2 different style lights... it will just be a small change like maybe a bulb or something...
Old 09-10-2004, 02:45 AM   #20

PorscheQ - Now that you have clears your signature is so retro

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote