Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #1

Center windstop rattles - question

My center windstop seems to be rattling more than ever. I checked that nothing is broken. Should I replace the clips on the windstop or should I use some foam tape around the windstop edges? Any advice? Thanks!

porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Put some foam tape strips on the underside of the windstop edge. That should totally take care of it. Mine's fully rattle free after doing this.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Ditto. I put small pieces of foam rubber at both latches and at the base and it's silent.

Did the same with the rollbar inserts. World of difference.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #4

If you have a 987, the dealer will fix it for you, there is a TSB.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #5

Thanks, everyone. I will put some rubber foam all around and I think it will stop the rattles. The new clips on the windstop cost $2.50 each at the dealer if I need any. BTW, it's for an 02 Boxster...so no recall unlike 987.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

porschedude,

My windstop rattled like crazy all last year and drove me nuts...

I finally put rubber foam between the roll bar and windstop and voila - no more rattles !

I did break one of the clips in the process of removing the windstop and had to replace, but I doubt that had anything to do with the rattling, so if they are working properly I wouldn't bother with replacing them.

Word of advice, you may want to secure the mesh inserts with a zip tie as well. I lost one a couple of months ago and they are $165 each to replace !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #7

Thanks, NickCats...yeah my center windstop has been rattling like crazy lately...I am concerned it would fly off and hit somebody. I think the connector space has gotten loose or something. I will put some foam and also use tie wraps or fishing line for those black plastic windstops.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #8

I had both problems, seat and center wind-blockers rattling.. . Unfortunately, the foam tape didn't let it hold very good, my center blocker was coming loose when I was driving down the highway! I fixed it by drilling a small hole through the latch section and putting a small nail through it (cut to size). Voila, instant retaining pin for the center, and you really can't see it.

My solution for the seat blockers was to use black RTV (rubberized caulking) all around the top of it, and that fixed that with no issues. I was concerned about removing the center one (hence the removable "pins"), but I can't really see any reason why I'd ever want to remove the seat blockers... The RTV assures me that I won't accidentally remove one @ 80 MPH on the highway

Good luck!
Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #9

Foam tape will help, but IMO I think someone in the aftermarket can/ should develop a much better mounting system or a whole new center windstop as I think the factory design is quite poor.

I've been temped many times to ask some of my engineering friends to help out on this project as I have to think theres a better way.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #10

bmw,

I agree. I noticed that they redesigned the windstop to a certain extent on the 987. Seems a little more robust than the one on the 986.

BTW, it is $400 to replace the clear windscreen if it is lost. Another good reason never to leave the car parked with the top down...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #11

I fixed the problem with double sided foam tape around the clips and windstop bottom. Yes, I agree...original design is somewhat poor.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #12

Heres the quick fix I did for my mesh insert to give me peace of mind. Cost me about three bucks, easily removed, nothing permanent.

Havent really looked at the center one yet, I just go ahead in remove it if I know i'm going to get on the highway.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #13

seems to work but I prefer to use a clear monofilament fishing line, which is not so obvious.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #14

johne4 - you do realize that removing the center windscreen before going on the highway sort of defeats the purpose of the center windscreen?

When my screen almost flew out on the highway, I took it out until i had a chance to drill the hole for the pin to hold it in place. I didn't realize how big of a difference it made until I drove around without it for that week or so...

Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote