Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #1

Question Windscreen question

Hya all,

Just received my first new boxter.
I'm quite happy about performances, comfort and so on.

Question is about windscreen, does it have a purpose ? I mean with the screen on ( the 3 parts) and windows up it still quite turbulent inside, for instance impossible to go to work without going first before a mirror.

Am I the only one experiencing this ?

Birdy1062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #2

It will be a lot more turbulent inside without the screen. Keep the side windows up and the wind rides over your head. I cut my hair short so it does not matter one way or another. In the winter, NYC, I've been able to drive with the top down and 40 degrees with the windows up and screen in place heat full blast and it does keep you warm.
In any event enjoy your new car because its loads of fun to drive and handles like a demon! Welcome to the group.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #3

Birdy,

I keep my hair short and I keep a comb at work!

Enjoy your car.
Do you have any pics to share with us?
give us some details.......
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:02 AM   #4

Birdy,

How tall are you? It seems that if you're like 6'3, the wind catches your hair a lot more than if you're just 6'0. Try getting a bit lower in the cockpit if you can.

But expect wind. It is a convertible after all
Old 06-12-2004, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Birdy,

How tall are you? It seems that if you're like 6'3, the wind catches your hair a lot more than if you're just 6'0. Try getting a bit lower in the cockpit if you can.

But expect wind. It is a convertible after all

Hmm dunno in american system, in europe I'm 1m86; seat is almost fully down ( in fact it creates another annoyance it's that I don't see the front of the car for parking ... I have the Park assist, they should put one in front as well .)
Old 06-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #6

re: still quite turbulent inside

wow!
I guess wind is just something I expect (and enjoy) in a convertible. I also cover my hair.

Having driven/ridden in convertibles by Mercedes, Ford, Toyota, Ferrari, BMW, Dodge, Fiat, Triumph, Mazda, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Jeep, Volkswagen, Jaguar, Austin & Jensen Healy, MG, and Porsche - The Boxster is the one of the best convertibles at wind management and the windscreens help. I get my beard flying sideways in most convertibles.

Pilot makes a good point about the windscreens and temperature control. With the windscreens I choose top down on country roads between about 30(-1) and 113(45) - without the windsreens, my comfort level is about 45-95(7-35).

JohnnyBGood also makes a good point - unless you have an extra short torso for your height, you should probably have the seat all the way to the floor and most of the way back. At 180cm, I adjust the seat 2 notches from the back.

Good luck enjoying your Boxster however you do it.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:58 AM   #7

What do you guys use to clean the windstop with? I assume you shouldn't use standard glass cleaner with the windstop being Lexan?
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:15 AM   #8

Ad sach, I don't totally agree; I made a ride in a golf and it was totaly quiet inside, almost to hot in the summer because not enough wind inside ... of course I agree it's not at all the same drivind pleasure as the Boxter !

I suppose I'll have to go for the hair cut or to cover them.
Anyway the more I'm driving with this car the more I enjoy it and I'"m sure I didn't discover yet all the possibilities.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #9

I use Plexus to clean the clear plastic windstop.