Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #1

Alternative vehicle power

I've been thinking that after I pay off the Boxster, I will buy a more 'practical' and efficient car to use as a daily driver.

I actually used to have a Honda Insight, and it was a good little car. I averaged 55mpg, and got up to 68mpg on a couple road trips up to 72mpg. However, I moved to an apartment 2.1 miles away from work, and the poor little thing didn't have enough running time to regenerate itself.

Lately, I've seen a bit more about plug in hybrids, and serial hybrids. The Prius is supposed to be updated for the 09 model to be a plug in hybrid, and I believe it will have a certain range it can go on electric power alone. Also, the Chevrolet Volt concept looks interesting. It also looks like the way to go: An electric car with a small generator onboard to extend it's range.

Then today I stumbled upon this bad boy:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/ecf/newsID/2060724.006/mini/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini

A BMW Mini (Cooper) that was converted to electric (serial hybrid). 160hp motors in each wheel.... up to 250 mile range on a charge, with a small generator on board to extend it's range and charge itself....

... and it does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds!!

The company that built it says the system would be adaptable to other vehicles relatively easily. I can imagine a Boxster set up that way! 640HP to the ground, all wheel drive, electronic traction control, and a good range!

What say you? If you could buy something like the Mini with that powertrain, and say, it cost $30k or so... would you buy something like that for a commuter car?

If it cost around $10k, would you convert a Boxster?

I think I would!!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I've been thinking that after I pay off the Boxster, I will buy a more 'practical' and efficient car to use as a daily driver.

I actually used to have a Honda Insight, and it was a good little car. I averaged 55mpg, and got up to 68mpg on a couple road trips up to 72mpg. However, I moved to an apartment 2.1 miles away from work, and the poor little thing didn't have enough running time to regenerate itself.

Lately, I've seen a bit more about plug in hybrids, and serial hybrids. The Prius is supposed to be updated for the 09 model to be a plug in hybrid, and I believe it will have a certain range it can go on electric power alone. Also, the Chevrolet Volt concept looks interesting. It also looks like the way to go: An electric car with a small generator onboard to extend it's range.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/ecf/newsID/2060724.006/mini/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini

A BMW Mini (Cooper) that was converted to electric (serial hybrid). 160hp motors in each wheel.... up to 250 mile range on a charge, with a small generator on board to extend it's range and charge itself....

The company that built it says the system would be adaptable to other vehicles relatively easily. I can imagine a Boxster set up that way! 640HP to the ground, all wheel drive, electronic traction control, and a good range!

What say you? If you could buy something like the Mini with that powertrain, and say, it cost $30k or so... would you buy something like that for a commuter car?

I think I would!!

I have been aware of this Mini for some time. I would buy one tomorrow.

My daily driver is an 07 honda civic coupe. Gets 40 MPG on highway and was cheap to buy. I like the car alot.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
2 hrs? what about a long distance trip?

but either way, its a ncie car, good mpg, i like the idea they are going with, converting cars that is
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas

but either way, its a ncie car, good mpg, i like the idea they are going with, converting cars that is

The car has a gas engine (250cc mc engine) that comes on when the battery drains. That is why the car gets 75 MPG, as it has to use the mc engine from time to time.

Last edited by Brucelee; 05-17-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #5

More

August 2006

MINI QED - A demonstration vehicle to showcase the best electric drive system in the world!

With the odd exception of some rather impractical and eccentric examples, today’s electric or hybrid electric vehicles substantially under perform when compared both with high performance gasoline cars and also with theoretical limits of electric drive systems. Why are major manufacturers not putting more emphasis on in-wheel electric drive systems?

As PML is a leader in high performance motor and drive system technology, we felt it time to demonstrate what really can be achieved today using the best technology available! The car you see today is the result of 8 months of intense effort following PML’s 4-year product development programme.

The MINI was chosen as the platform because of its broad appeal and iconic styling. However it is not a light vehicle and has limited space to integrate the substantial component set required for a top performance electric vehicle – if we can successfully convert this vehicle then most others should be easy by comparison!

Some key features are:

Independent Quad Electric Drive
Traction control and anti skid built into each wheel
Regenerative braking recovers almost all energy
Blistering acceleration and high top speed
Around 80 mpg via onboard engine / generator
No need to recharge ( although you can if you wish)
Seriously attractive and feature rich in car display
more...

Item Original target specification
Emissions
Autonomy
Top speed
Acceleration
Braking
Fuel
BHP
Zero
1500 km
200 kph minimum
0-100 kph in 6 secs
No mechanical brakes
Zero carbon
250 bhp minimum

Current specification
Emissions
Autonomy
Top speed
Acceleration
Braking
Fuel
BHP
Zero for 4 hours
1500 km
240 kph
0-100 kph in 4.5 secs
No mechanical brakes
Carbon neutral option
> 640 bhp
(download pdf files: MINI QED and Specifications)

The vehicle development will continue for some time, especially in the area of engine / fuel options and GPRS services and features. Today, this electric vehicle conversion incorporates the very best drive system technology available anywhere in the world.

It is truly an outstanding example of British innovation at it’s best!

BMW (UK) Ltd has requested that we mention they have no involvement with this project and that such conversions invalidate warranty!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas

It runs off of batteries, which can be charged by plugging in, for 200-250 miles. Then an onboard generator kicks in to run the vehicle. If you stop, the generator keeps chugging to charge the battery while you're off doing whatever.

For road trips, you can continue to drive, as the generator will power the car as long as there's gas for it to burn!

It's an electric car that can charge itself, and do so using existing fuel infrastructure.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:

I think I would!!
Not news to a lot of folks, but if you are new to Porsche, you might not be aware of this:

One of Ferdinand Porsche's first patents, the "mixte" -drive Lohner-Porsche from about 1900.
There isn't much new under the sun, including electric motors in the drive hubs.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #8

No sir - my Boxster is about the most fuel efficient car that is exciting to me. If I purchase another car, it will be a hopped up 1970 Challenger with gasoline dripping out of the tail pipes averaging 8 MPG.

I do respect the aforementioned Mini for the engineering behind it and find it to be interesting, but this is just not for me.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #9

I have been aware of this for awhile, and I too, would buy one tomorrow. This is truly first class, modern engineering at its finest. If only cars like this were on dealer's lots for the public to be buying.

Put this technology into a normal car (i.e. 4 seats and a trunk) and this should be what every soccer mom and business guy should have.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #10

Found another couple interesting vehicles:

ZAP-X electric crossover

www.gizmag.com/go/6780/

644HP, 0-60 in 4.8sec, 350 miles on a charge, 10 minutes to charge. Projected price of $60k.

Ford Reflex

media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=22296

A Ford that looks good! 65 mpg off of Diesel. Seems more like a Synergy drive like the Prius.

Rumor has it, though, that Ford won't produce it.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Found another couple interesting vehicles:

ZAP-X electric crossover

www.gizmag.com/go/6780/

644HP, 0-60 in 4.8sec, 350 miles on a charge, 10 minutes to charge. Projected price of $60k.

Ford Reflex

media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=22296

A Ford that looks good! 65 mpg off of Diesel. Seems more like a Synergy drive like the Prius.

Rumor has it, though, that Ford won't produce it.
Very very nice. Too bad so few of these cars actually get produced.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #12

Well... as far as them getting produced...

Jim Lutz (GM) has been quoted as being pretty serious about the Volt making it to production... and within about 3 years, with a price of $30k or less. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

What I've seen on a couple car related sites about the Reflex is that Ford won't produce it.

As for the ZAP-X, they are serious about that one.

The Mini is just a proof-of-technology platform for the motor manufacturer. They have not ramped up for full production. ZAP will be using their motors.

In another discussion on another forum, the question was asked - at what price per gallon does our economy suffer? I know $4/gal is going to put the pinch on people. $5 will hurt.

When will the American consumer get a little smarter with their choices in transportation? When will SUVs that get less than 15mpg stop being so popular? When will BIGGER not equal BETTER?

I bet at $5, we'll see change. I hope cars like the ones above are part of that change. Hell, I was thinking, if I used a car like the Volt for commuting only... I could almost cut my fuel consuption to less than 50 gallons a year easily.

Battery technology is quickly getting to the point where these types of vehicles are not only possible, but will be economically viable in the next few years.