Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #1

Any Military Members?

I did a quick search and didn't turn up much. I've only seen 1 newer Porsche on base and it was a new Cayman. But I figured you can pick up used Boxster relatively cheap so...

Just wondering if there were any others on here

joosrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #2

I knowof at least one... Rail26

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to USMCVandyLaw
I am a soon to be Marine JAG, but no boxster yet. I am still patiently biding my time until I make a dent in my law school loans.
USMCVandyLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCVandyLaw
I am a soon to be Marine JAG, but no boxster yet. I am still patiently biding my time until I make a dent in my law school loans.
That's prob a smart idea.

So I assume you are going through OCS and not ROTC since you have student loans? Does he USMC have different commissioning programs for JAG? In the AF we have OTC BOT (basic officer training) and COT (commissioned officer training). COT is for Medical, JAG and stuff like that. They get their commission before they go and the program is shorter and A LOT easier.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #5

Army here, 24 years now, Chief Warrant Officer, drive a 2000 Boxster.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to USMCVandyLaw
"So I assume you are going through OCS and not ROTC since you have student loans? Does he USMC have different commissioning programs for JAG? In the AF we have OTC BOT (basic officer training) and COT (commissioned officer training). COT is for Medical, JAG and stuff like that. They get their commission before they go and the program is shorter and A LOT easier."

The Marines do things a little differently than the other branches of the military. In the Marines, every Marine is a rifleman and all the officers go through the same basic training before they split off and go to their specialty schools. We have two months of OCS to evaluate if you have what it takes to be an officer and then 6 months of TBS which is the basic officer training. I went to OCS in college and will be attending TBS in a month. It will be quite a wake up call for me since I have been inactive for 4 years now while completing law school and taking the bar. I hope that answered your question.

I hope to one day be able to particpate more on the forum, but I have a nicely equipped 997 turbo worth of loans that I had to take out to go to Vanderbilt Law and will not be able to justify a new car for awhile.
USMCVandyLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #7

Ah good ole TBS in Quantico. Now, those were the days!! Good Luck, they will be a little tough on you with your MOS!
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #8

Former Marine - 27 years. Once a Marine, always a Marine. I picked up my 2007 Boxster S almost one month ago.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #9

24 and 27 yrs I hope to put in that kind of time. I've got 2 now

The Corps and Porsche don't really seem to go together
I'm kidding

What is/was everyone's job?

B-52 Navigator here
Old 04-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

hey, joosrsx..for your viewing pleasure and when you get a chance- look at the thread below and there you'll see most of our faces and ocupation

Face and Car thread
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8468

Occupation thread
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #11

Military

Well, I am a former Air Force MP active duty for 6 yrs and then I wanted to have more fun and get more in the dirty work so I join the Army 82 Airborne Div where I got ALL the fun that I ever wanted in Iraq/Afghanistan and Russia and other parts of the word.

One thing that I know for sure is that the Air Force has it MADE! To bad I dont like to look pretty and clean, lol. Now I am a reservist and ex State Police officer and now a current Chicago Firefighter I've done a bit of everything and I still have a few more to do....

Cheers!
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
hey, joosrsx..for your viewing pleasure and when you get a chance- look at the thread below and there you'll see most of our faces and ocupation

Face and Car thread
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8468

Occupation thread
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550
I looked through the Occupation thread before I made this thread and I would have never thought that a bunch of Porsche owners would be IT or MBA guys

I'll add my car's pics to the other thread to mess with people

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgolatin2
Well, I am a former Air Force MP active duty for 6 yrs and then I wanted to have more fun and get more in the dirty work so I join the Army 82 Airborne Div where I got ALL the fun that I ever wanted in Iraq/Afghanistan and Russia and other parts of the word.

One thing that I know for sure is that the Air Force has it MADE! To bad I dont like to look pretty and clean, lol. Now I am a reservist and ex State Police officer and now a current Chicago Firefighter I've done a bit of everything and I still have a few more to do....

Cheers!
That's one hell of a resume. Talk about putting others before yourself

Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #13

USMC... 21 years service, 16.5 years commissioned service.
0402/0303/0331.

Lawyers have all the fun at the big suck... but at least you'll be getting paid more for the pleasure!

Z
Old 04-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #14

Hey Mantis-
when I went through the Basic School back in '82 we had a liar, er, lawyer in my platoon. He didn't catch any more **************** than anyone else. Smatter o' fact, if I recall correctly he was a 1Lt, so maybe he had it easier.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #15

I've got to be the lowest-ranking guy here, at E-5, in the USAF. I find out in June if I made E-6. Also, this is my second Boxster, I got my first when I was an E-4! Of course, I've only had them one at a time. I go through cars pertty quickly. The gate guards always give me a second look to make sure I am who I say.

I'm currently stationed at Elmendorf AFB, AK, as an F-15 Flightline Avionics Craftsman (2A371). I'll be back in the lower-48 before the end of the year. I've been deployed to Kuwait in 2002 and Qatar in 2004.

I've been in since 2000 and was previously stationed in Mt. Home, ID.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:24 AM   #16

"What is/was everyone's job?"

210A, Utilities Operations and Maintenance Technician

We operate and maintain the Army's utility systems, which includes Power Plants, Water Treatment Plants, Waste Water Plants, Steam Plants, Chiller Plants and all the supporting distribution infrastructure.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Army - 8 years. I enlisted in '96 as a 25M, Multimedia Illustrator (computer graphics). Didn't like that and reclassed to 19K, M1A1 Abrams crewman. Did that for awhile then reclassed to 93C, Air Traffic Controller. Loved that and stayed for awhile. Was accepted and attended Warrant Officer Flight Training. Had to resign after a few weeks, wife got very very sick and I needed to take care of her. Finished my time as an air traffic controller at Ft Rucker and got out in '03. Did a year in the Reserves (hated it), got out and grew a beard.

Didn't have a Boxster, but I did have a couple of motorcycles.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell!
I've got to be the lowest-ranking guy here, at E-5, in the USAF. I find out in June if I made E-6. Also, this is my second Boxster, I got my first when I was an E-4! Of course, I've only had them one at a time. I go through cars pertty quickly. The gate guards always give me a second look to make sure I am who I say.
No **************** an Airman with a Porsche. That's prob in chapter 1 of SF tech school, "If you see an Airman in a Porsche check that guy cause it's either not him or he's selling drugs."
Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #19

someone say the "s" word..na na na na na na (while pointing @ joos) j/k
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:48 AM   #20

Retired Now!

Retired Navy Chief.....Just retired last August...

Bought My 911 when I was an E-6 and got my 2nd Porsche (2000 Boxster S) in February.....NOW I HAVE 2.....

The 911 is now my track car..

Chris

Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote