986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Center Console Hinged Lid ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/11101-center-console-hinged-lid.html)

ddb 05-08-2007 02:23 PM

Center Console Hinged Lid ?

Hi All,

I ordered a new center console a couple of weeks ago and received it today. I've removed the old console and transferred all of the needed parts already except the hinged storage compartment cover. I assume this is original hardware on my 2000 because I don't see a way to remove the assembly. Am I missing something or do I need to BREAK the old assembly to get it off, then re-install it on the new console using the much read about hinge repair kit?

Thanks,

ddb

conradtan 05-08-2007 02:45 PM

Replacement kit is $38 at the dealer. I accidentally broke lid part off is how I know. You will need a rivet tool, a drill, and a steady hand. The dealer will explain how to install it. Took the guys at the dealer 20 minutes.

porsche986spyder 05-08-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddb
Hi All,

I ordered a new center console a couple of weeks ago and received it today. I've removed the old console and transferred all of the needed parts already except the hinged storage compartment cover. I assume this is original hardware on my 2000 because I don't see a way to remove the assembly. Am I missing something or do I need to BREAK the old assembly to get it off, then re-install it on the new console using the much read about hinge repair kit?

Thanks,

ddb

I too would like to know this. I bought my car used with this part already broken. I still need to get it fixed but can't figure out the hidge part either. I have some zip ties holding mine on right now. Does the trick but I hate opening it. Keeps reminding me how crapy looks when opened. Anyone know the part number or where I can get one of those embosed Porsche logos on the center part of the leather also while we are asking about this part. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread. :cheers:

ddb 05-08-2007 03:07 PM

Guys,

My hinged cover isn't broken, yet. I'm asuming it is original and has never been broken. Do I need to break it to remove it? I need to install it on the new center console.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and there is a way to remove it, without breaking it.

Thanks,

ddb

idheaton 05-08-2007 04:11 PM

no you don't have to break the hinge...you have to remove the lid cover and then use a punch to knock the pin out that holds the cover on.

here is a link for instructions that covers the hinge fix but also applies to your case i believe

Oddments Tray Cover Removal

Here is a pic i found of what the hinge replacement piece looks like...

Oddments Tray Repair Hinge

I had to fix my console and bought the part from the dealer but after looking at the thing I thought I could have went to ace hardware and made something that would have worked just as well and saved myself $30...

ddb 05-08-2007 04:36 PM

idheaton,

Thanks very much! I hoped there would be a way to remove the cover without breaking it, but didn't think to remove the torx screws on the inside of the cover. This clears up a lot for me.

Thanks again,

ddb

Travis 05-08-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
or where I can get one of those embosed Porsche logos on the center part of the leather also while we are asking about this part. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread. :cheers:

Maybe this. . . . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-996-Boxster-Leather-Oddments-Tray-Lid-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40017QQihZ020QQit emZ300109283560QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

KevinH1990 05-08-2007 06:40 PM

Here's a thread on Renntech with some good pictures of the procedure:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=245

If you can avoid breaking yours, you will save the cost of the replacement part. I also had to buy a rivet gun to complete the repair.

ddb 05-08-2007 07:04 PM

Thanks for the thread Kevin. It is very helpful. If all goes as planned, I will be able to remove the cover from the old console, purchase a hinge kit from my local dealer, and re-install the cover on the new console. Hopefully I won't break anything.

ddb

Dohertycm 05-08-2007 07:39 PM

Son Of A B***h

The same thing happened to me, and didnt notice the hinge or lack their of either UNTIL I GOT IT INSTALLED!

The Porsche Dealer didnt know anything about it but send me a part that was suppose to be a replacement part..... :matchup:

So, not wanting to remove the console and put the crappy one back in I made my own...Similar to what is being pictures. not bad looking at all.

But it sure didnt sit right with me, having been sold a part like that.

porsche986spyder 05-09-2007 06:27 AM

That is close, but I was looking for the black on black embosed. Thanks anyway. :cheers:

ddb 05-09-2007 03:41 PM

Thanks for all of the help.

I picked up the hinge kit this afternoon and installed it very easily and quickly. I agree it is a lot of money for some relatively simple parts. I however don't have the time and talent to fab up something that would work as well.

I'm attaching a picture of the repair kit for future reference.

Thanks,

Derek

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...wn0529/21a.jpg

KevinH1990 05-09-2007 04:51 PM

I bought my car used, so I can't complain very loudly. But, if I had paid close to $50,000 for a car, I would have expected Porsche to design the "oddments tray" cover with a metal hinge.

The fact that they make a replacement kit tells you that the part fails fairly frequently. Fortunately, it is a relatively easy repair - much simpler than I expected.

ddb 05-09-2007 05:11 PM

When I called my local dealer this morning they told me they had sold their last repair kit in stock earlier this week. I asked him how often they move these kits and he said on a regular basis - much cheaper to replace the hinge versus the whole console.

I drove to another town that had the kit in stock. My local dealer said he would have replacement kits early next week, but I didn't want to wait.

KevinH1990 05-09-2007 05:32 PM

I paid $25.31 ($19.31 for the part and $6.00 for shipping) from Suncoast Porsche in Florida. I think Sunset Porsche in Oregon might have had the part for less. I didn't check with the dealer in this area, but I assume they would have been a little higher. Plus, I can never get to the parts department during the week when they are open.

The repair kit is a good design. I just don't understand why they couldn't have used a metal part to start with. I thought I read somewhere that the 924's had a weak hinge on the center console as well. So it sounds like Porsche has a bit of a history with this.