Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #1

Blistering Trim on door and center controls trim

I have recently bought a 2004 Boxster. a week ago I noticed what I thought was some small deposit on the hinged flap on the arm rest on the drivers door. I tried to gently rub it off only to find that it was actually the mottled 'plastic' surface layer that had a small blister. It seems that the surface layer had separated in a couple of small spots from the main body of the flap. So now I have a couple of ugly peeled spots.

I then noticed yesterday that the same is happening on the surface layer next to the softtop up-down switch which as a 1-2mm blister developing where the surface material is lifting off the plastic underneath.

I am wondering if I have had something on my elbow and finger that has reacted with the surface layer (maybe sunblock/sunscreen??)

Being new to Porsches, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My worry is what else is ready to start blistering

AWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #2

I highly doubt it's from sunscreen, as I'm constantly coated in the stuff and have had no such reactions.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL
I have recently bought a 2004 Boxster. a week ago I noticed what I thought was some small deposit on the hinged flap on the arm rest on the drivers door. I tried to gently rub it off only to find that it was actually the mottled 'plastic' surface layer that had a small blister. It seems that the surface layer had separated in a couple of small spots from the main body of the flap. So now I have a couple of ugly peeled spots.
Quite common. The finish that Porsche puts on those parts is very poor, and degrades over time. Probably UV has something to do with it.

You can either paint it, or some folks (me included) have covered those surfaces in leather.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It actually is from sunscreen. Certain brands of sunscreen will make the film bubble up. Only fix is to replace those trim pieces, and switch brands of sunscreen, or have those trim pieces painted, as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL

I then noticed yesterday that the same is happening on the surface layer next to the softtop up-down switch which as a 1-2mm blister developing where the surface material is lifting off the plastic underneath.

I am wondering if I have had something on my elbow and finger that has reacted with the surface layer (maybe sunblock/sunscreen??)

Being new to Porsches, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My worry is what else is ready to start blistering

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
sunscreen it is.
some cars, like my 98, doesnt have that material on the armrest flap so sunscreen or not, it wont bubble up
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You know what is scary though? I've seen the sunscreen actually bubble up the material on my plain center console too (hence needing to replace with a painted one), and the vinyl on some peoples' dash. Wonder what chemical is being used in some sunscreens that does this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
sunscreen it is.
some cars, like my 98, doesnt have that material on the armrest flap so sunscreen or not, it wont bubble up

Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #7

makes em wonder too.
anyone willing to screw up a few pieces to determine which sunscreen does it?

i nominate unklekraker

Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #8

No kidding? I'm -extremely- surprised that that. Out at events, I put a good 3-5 coats of SPF 40 or higher sunscreen on throughout the day. I'm sweaty, I'm doing runs, I'm sure I get it on my car, but never a problem. And I've used several different brands too. Crazy.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #9

all i can tell you then is stick with those brads hehehe
and if you dont mind, mention what brand you did use so we have something that will not damage it.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I still have some left over that caused the bubbling in my car. Can bring some over to you if you'd like to confirm my statement on your car's interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Girl
No kidding? I'm -extremely- surprised that that. Out at events, I put a good 3-5 coats of SPF 40 or higher sunscreen on throughout the day. I'm sweaty, I'm doing runs, I'm sure I get it on my car, but never a problem. And I've used several different brands too. Crazy.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #11

Didn't say I didn't believe you... I'm just extremely surprised by it.

I use Coppertone spray on (SPF 30 was the highest in that that I could find), and banana boat sport SPF 40 and sometimes SPF 50 as regular goop on.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #12

Sunscreen......happened to me in my Z06. I had it on my legs and where my knee rests against the console the vinyl coating lifted and peeled right off. At the time the car had only 3,000 kilometers on it and no other cleaners had been used on the console. I do not remember the brand of sunscreen but I would not trust any of them after that!
Middle Age Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #13

I think I'm going to pull out my center console, and the door pocket covers, strip the crap off of 'em, and paint 'em.

It's one of the odd things about Porsche that's disappointing. You'd think a high end manufacturer would come up with something more durable.

Maybe I'll try covering some in leather... I bet it feels nice if you get the right kind of leather...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #14

yea i bet they didnt think about that.
only after some regular day to day uses we can come up with problems.

i wonder if they are aware of this now. (including GM with vette)

Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #15

The solution:

http://vorlon.case.edu/~jpv/porsche/interior/Armrest.jpg
Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V

Leather? Any details on how that was accomplished? I might want to try covering my door covers in leather... it would be a nice touch!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Leather? Any details on how that was accomplished? I might want to try covering my door covers in leather... it would be a nice touch!
It's not hard. Get the leather you like (I bought off of eBay - I could tell from his pictures that the leather matched the factory leather doors really well) and cut it roughly to size. Spray heavy duty fabric adhesive on the back of the leather and the piece, let it tack up, and then work the two together. Once most of the adhesive has cured, wrap the edges, cutting slits now and then to relieve any bunching. Secure these with superglue. Be careful - as superglue ruins the finished surface of leather.

It took me about an hour to do each armrest piece.

JV
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #18

Sounds simple enough. Given most of the leather and vinyl stuff in my car is grey, it won't be difficult to find good leather that will work.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #19

I just bought one of those Carbon Fiber kits. The real stuff, not the fake crap. They are expensive, but look real good and are easy to replace those parts that are cracking and falling apart. Painted my door covers artic silver for some more color and to match the remaining artic silver still left in the car.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #20

Thanks guys. I use whatever sunscreen is laying around the house so I can't tell you the brand. Makes you wonder what it's doing to your skin!!!!!!

I have had MX5 for years and no problems. Now I have moved upmarket(??) and find the Porsche material is inferior to Mazda. Very disappointing.

AWOL is offline   Reply With Quote