986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Windows when lowering roof (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/1068-windows-when-lowering-roof.html)

Laszlo 05-26-2004 06:51 AM

Windows when lowering roof

Is it a design feature/failure by Porsche that, when lowering the roof, the windows are lowered an inch, but then, once the roof is down, they do not go up again? has anybody else noticed this?

I always have to raise them by seperatelylly but it just seems a bit of a pain. I remember that with my previous car (Audi TT Convertible) the windows would go up again after the lowering of the roof had finished.

donv 05-26-2004 10:22 AM

That's the way it works. The only time they automatically go back up is when you latch the top after closing it once again.

aesir 05-27-2004 11:17 AM

I would say it's more of a design choice than a design flaw.

When you put the top up if you raised the windows all the way the car has to move the windows down an inch again.

Personally I think it would be nice if the windows would automatically go down when I lower the top. It's not very often that I have the windows up with the top down.

Besides the windows are fully automatic, it's not like you're straining to push two buttons at the same time once.

Alienz 05-27-2004 11:45 AM

This is weird. Once my top is completely down and the top light is out, the windows work fine. If they don't then your micro-switch is faulty. Or maybe mine is faulty because they my windows go up and down when the top is down? I'm not sure. Tool Pants must know

ALso one more thing, the passenger window goes down when I touch the button once but doesn't do the same when it goes up. Is that normal?

aesir 05-27-2004 11:47 AM

What year is your Boxster?

My passenger goes up and down with one touch.

Ad Sach 05-29-2004 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alienz
ALso one more thing, the passenger window goes down when I touch the button once but doesn't do the same when it goes up. Is that normal?

Whenever the battery is disconnected, the windows need to be 're-educated' about thier top and bottom limits. An 'uneducated' window will not do the one touch. A window can be 'educated' in one direction and not in the other. For $19.99 I will sell you the secret :D NOT!

How to educate your power window:
Simply hold the window button to go a full motion from open to closed, then hold to go fully the other way, then repeat the cycle about 4 times without stopping partway. NOW try the one touch operation. This works for my 02S.

aesir 05-29-2004 01:18 PM

Talk about good to know!