Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #21

BM,
regarding your new sig, did you tape up your plates? because as I can see in that photo your rear spoiler is activated meaning at some point during your lap (given that it was a sub 45 second course--lots of straight action) you surpassed "the speed" necessary to deploy the spoiler....unless your raised it manually?

those insurance guys are always looking for an excuse to raise rates on a teen age driver. I never post my full name on my lap times. Its usually a character from Animal House.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I used to have the same midnight blue/tan as you and agree that when clean, it's quite the eye-catcher.

I also wanted to add that your new avatar pic of the Box in action is great ! Although I think the last time I added something like "live to drive" over a car picture was when I was doodling in my eighth grade geometry notebook.

Thank you! One of the s2000 guys took a pic of me at the auto-x

The car is black, but I suppose it's hard to tell, huh? Sometimes I envy other colors like midnight blue..

I actually added "Life @ WOT" at the bottom as well...but decided that would be TOO corny
Old 04-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
BM,
regarding your new sig, did you tape up your plates? because as I can see in that photo your rear spoiler is activated meaning at some point during your lap (given that it was a sub 45 second course--lots of straight action) you surpassed "the speed" necessary to deploy the spoiler....unless your raised it manually?

those insurance guys are always looking for an excuse to raise rates on a teen age driver. I never post my full name on my lap times. Its usually a character from Animal House.

I forgot to tape up my plates that time, but this recent week I remembered to.

Not to worry...I manually deployed the spoiler. They intentionally keep people at lower speeds. Highest I've gone is around 58mph on a course and that was a poorly designed course.

And I also changed my name to only show the first letter of my last name

Phew...beat the insurance company this time.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #24

oh yeah I forgot about the 12 hairpins they put in at the last minute.
But 35mph sure feels faster than it looks...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #25

It has a lot to do with where you live. Here in the SF bay area, Boxsters are not as common as Accords, but close. I do get the occasional kids on bikes that say, "whoa, nice car" as I drive by, but very rarely do I get any, "how fast" questions.
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Isn't that part of the reason we all hang out here somtimes?!

In my case you are absoultly right!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
Here in the SF bay area, Boxsters are not as common as Accords, but close.
My friend just got an Accord, and couldn't believe he paid more for it than I did for my boxster. I told him it's because the boxster is so poorly built, look how easily the roof comes off!

http://foo21.no-ip.info/boxster/boxster_sig_2.jpg
This isn't the Boxster you're looking for...
kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #28

[QUOTE=986 Girl]I've never had someone ask me how fast it goes, but I'd just say "Fast enough," smile, and walk away.

However, I have had people say "Nice PorSH" to me, often accompanied by a question or another statement. I always just reply, "It's Por-sche, with two syllables," and leave it at that. If they don't pronounce it right, then they don't really care enough about the vehicle to need to ask me a question.
QUOTE]

Wow...you're what my dad calls a "snooty" Porsche owner. 99% of the american public says Porsche with one syllable. I guess snooty Porsche owners do exist. I can't believe you correct total strangers.....that's rude imo. Sometimes I say porsh sometimes I pronounce it porsche. Who cares?

Last edited by Adam; 04-13-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #29
FIG

I get comments every day!!!! (I work in the CBD, loads of people around)

"Nice car"...."Whoarrrr"......"Hot ride" and so on.

I love it! I look after my car, and when it shines.....I shine!

I have been asked the usual, "How Fast?"....."How Much?" I usually reply Enough!
That way its not rude, then they walk away without their answer
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #30

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
[QUOTE=Adam]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Girl
I've never had someone ask me how fast it goes, but I'd just say "Fast enough," smile, and walk away.

However, I have had people say "Nice PorSH" to me, often accompanied by a question or another statement. I always just reply, "It's Por-sche, with two syllables," and leave it at that. If they don't pronounce it right, then they don't really care enough about the vehicle to need to ask me a question.
QUOTE]

Wow...you're what my dad calls a "snooty" Porsche owner. 99% of the american public says Porsche with one syllable. I guess snooty Porsche owners do exist. I can't believe you correct total strangers.....that's rude imo. Sometimes I say porsh sometimes I pronounce it porsche. Who cares?
I think its rude also to correct a total stranger and then to ignore them for not pronouncing it "Por-sche"... If the Porsche Dealership commercial can say "Come into your local "porsche" dealership" then i can say porsche and cant hold it against anyone who says it differently unless someone says "Porsch'A" then pauses his/her sentence just to smurk at whoever could be listening.

If you think about it 986girl, they were only really just admiring your porsche and being friendly cause your a lady, no need to pretend your too good for them. Even the hosts of Top Gear pronounce it "porsche" from time to time and they are proper british.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #31

Quote:
uh I don't know man I just stole it from the country club up the street. I sell it to you for good price?".
Now that's funny right there! Permission to use that one?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Even the hosts of Top Gear pronounce it "porsche" from time to time and they are proper british.
Just Richard Hammond says it like that (and he's got one).

Anyway, I hardly get any compliments on mine. And mine's the best looking one I've ever seen! (So humble.) They are relatively common around these parts.

Only once has some one asked me how fast is it -and that was this week! I told them that on a track with curves, it flies. In a straight line... leave that to the Mustangs (and Accords these days).
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #33

I get compliments often. I've seen people walk to the back and say "It's a Boxster". They probably don't even know who makes it.

Also have people pronounce it Porsh. I don't correct them because they probably don't realize they are saying it incorrectly and mean no harm. I was in a car audio store a couple of days ago and the owner called it a Porsh several times then sheepishly said maybe he should call it a Porsche. I said it didn't bother me but some Porshe owners would be greatly offended.

As far as the "how fast" question goes, I'm like Schnell! and say the speedo goes to 180. (Hey Schnell!, there's an extra tick hidden by the tach - you just picked up 5mph.)
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #34

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I think its rude also to correct a total stranger and then to ignore them for not pronouncing it "Por-sche"... If the Porsche Dealership commercial can say "Come into your local "porsche" dealership" then i can say porsche and cant hold it against anyone who says it differently unless someone says "Porsch'A" then pauses his/her sentence just to smurk at whoever could be listening.
I tend to agree. When I was shopping for my car I briefly contemplated this scenario. In my area no one pronounces it Porsh-uh and many would consider it snobbish if I pronounced it that way. Usually if I just mention the make I say I own a "Porsh" if mention the model as well I usually say "Porsh-uh Boxster" as it seems to roll of the tongue better. I can't say it matters to me, however I know I'd be upset if people knowingly mis-pronounced my name.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #35

If it's snooty to pronounce things/correct people then fine, I'm snooty and I'll be the first one to admit it.

Porsche is a family name, and has always been two-syllables, and if you say it wrong in front of me I'll correct you. The same way I'd correct you if you said Raynalt instead of Renault (ray-noh), and I definitely don't own one of those. Believe it or not, you can correct someone without saying like an ****************************, but unfortunately 99.9% of the time people follow calling it a PorSCH up with asking me how much a paid, which is why I just don't answer the question and move on with my life.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #36

Son of a... apparently this computer is still logged in as my old name. This is 986 Girl. *grrs*
Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #37

There's a lot of Boxsters here as well.

Maybe the 987s draw more attention than the 986s because they look like newer cars?

I got asked today by a kid who worked at the gas station if it's fast. He said he owns a c5 z06 and wanted to race one [Boxster]

Some race.